tha Schnipper Zine

hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
This is the best thing I've read in months. Seriously. tha_Schnip can write, yo, and he's super funny. Oh course we already knew this, but he jumps from the computer screen to the zerox format seamlessly. I will cherrish mine for eternity. I urge all who have not to spend the $2.50 to get one. Reading Shnipper write about shitty records he bought for a dollar is way more entertaining that buying them yourself.

Good job dude!!!

Comments

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    cosigned...this is way good.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    where do i find this?

• 99Problems99Problems 1,541 Posts
    where do I find this?

where do I find this?

where do I find this?

• Maybe Schnipper will include one in the package that contains a rackord he is going to send me when he finds the time in his hectic post-collegiate schedule (between B-More Club Nights, extra-smedium fitting sessions, and XLR8R photo shoots).

Also: Visit SF again.

• A french guy just came in, enquired about the Juliette Greco record I was playing, pestered me about looking through my personal "brought from home" records, implied that he might spend a lot of money for the right records, listened to the whole gospel section and didn't buy anything.

Schnipper's magazine is the polar opposite of that guy.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    A french guy just came in, enquired about the Juliette Greco record I was playing, pestered me about looking through my personal "brought from home" records, implied that he might spend a lot of money for the right records, listened to the whole gospel section and didn't buy anything.

Schnipper's magazine is the polar opposite of that guy.

I could not have said it better.

buy it now

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I was going to post on this, having read it a-to-z on the train this morning. Loose and funny, with great connections to REAL WORLD MOVES made in relation to the records he's discussing, it's just the kind of visceral reaction that's so critical to why we (at least the ME part of WE) dig collecting.

Plus, I kept laughing out loud.

"that's a lot of electric piano."

• Huge cosign! I've been doing zines for over 20 years in one form or another, and I wish I was killin' it like Schnipper when I was his age. Solid stuff, well written, funny and often insightful.
    You go Schnipp...

• Can't wait to see this schitt

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    Yes, I could not stop reading this little zine when it arrived. The stories are priceless. Between Schnipper and Hcrink's Mix, folls have been killing it with the creative output on here lately.

• 99Problems99Problems 1,541 Posts
    Hcrink's Mix

HUH?? I been sleeping...

• Someone told me these things are already going for major $$$ on ebay. Is this true!!???

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    the story about someone stealing the mail off his porch and then him buying his own record from the used shop down the street definitely made me LOL.

• I'm sure Schnipper's zine is "all that" but I have to digress for moment:

the Juliette Greco record I was playing

It's hard to believe that the Soulstrut massive let this little comment slip through unnoticed.

So J*nny - did you ever weigh in on the infamous "Getting into Vermont English Lit Hippie Chicks' Gingham Dresses" thread before it evolved into a Three-Six Mafia jockriding session? Because admitting (if not outright proclaiming) that you're listening to Juliette Greco records in a public space gives me pause to think that you could have had something significant to offer in the area of 10,000 Maniacs/Smiths/Sarah McClaughlin-related panty-removing tips. Not to mention the opportunity to out-floss Faux in the arena of conspicuous highbrow-culture flaunting. Surely, out-in-the-open Greco-listening weighs in somewhere equal-to-or-greater-than trolling the local yacht port hoping to catch a glimpse of Jay-Z sunbathing, yes? Just wondering.

• 10,000 Maniacs/Smiths/Sarah McClaughlin-related panty-removing tips.

[color:white]white noise[/color].

[color:white]White noise is a sound that contains every frequency within the range of human hearing [/color] .[/b] (generally from 20 hertz to 20 kHz) [color:white]in equal amounts. Most people perceive this sound as having more high-frequency content than low, but this is not the case[/color]. .[/b][color:white]This perception occurs because each successive octave has twice as many frequencies as the one preceding it[/color]. .[/b][color:white]For example, from 100 Hz to 200 Hz, there are one hundred discrete frequencies[/color]. .[/b][color:white]In the next octave (from 200 Hz to 400 Hz), there are two hundred frequencies.white noise

White noise is a sound that contains every frequency within the range of human hearing [color:white](generally from 20 hertz to 20 kHz) in equal amounts[/color]. .[/b][color:white]Most people perceive this sound as having more high-frequency content than low, but this is not the case[/color]. [color:white]This perception occurs because each successive octave has twice as many frequencies as the one preceding it[/color]. .[/b][color:white]For example, from 100 Hz to 200 Hz, there are one hundred discrete frequencies[/color]. [color:white]In the next octave (from 200 Hz to 400 Hz), there are two hundred frequencies[/color]. .[/b].[/b]
    [color:white]White noise can be generated on a sound synthesizer. Sound designers can use this sound, with some processing and filtering, to create a multitude of effects such as wind, surf, space whooshes, and rumbles[/color]. .[/b][color:white]Pink noise is a variant of white noise[/color]..[/b][color:pink] Pink noise is white noise that has been filtered to reduce the volume at each octave[/color]. .[/b][color:white]This is done to compensate for the increase in the number of frequencies per octave. [color:white]Each octave is reduced by 6 decibels, resulting in a noise sound wave that has equal energy at every octave[/color]. .[/b][color:white] White noise can be generated on a sound synthesizer. Sound designers can use this sound, with some processing and filtering, to create a multitude of effects such as wind, surf, space whooshes, and rumbles. Pink noise is a variant of white noise[/color]..[/b].[/b][color:white] Pink noise is white noise that has been filtered to reduce the volume at each octave[/color]. .[/b][color:white]This is done to compensate for the increase in the number of frequencies per octave[/color]. [color:white]Each octave is reduced by 6 decibels, resulting in a noise sound wave that has equal energy at every octave. [/color]
    .[/b][color:white]white noise[/color].

[color:white]White noise is a sound that contains every frequency within the range of human hearing [/color](generally from 20 hertz to 20 kHz) [color:white]in equal amounts. Most people perceive this sound as having more high-frequency content than low, but this is not the case[/color]..[/b] [color:white]This perception occurs because each successive octave has twice as many frequencies as the one preceding it[/color]..[/b] [color:white]For example, from 100 Hz to 200 Hz, there are one hundred discrete frequencies[/color]..[/b].[/b] [color:white]In the next octave (from 200 Hz to 400 Hz), there are two hundred frequencies.white noise

White noise is a sound that contains every frequency within the range of human hearing [color:white](generally from 20 hertz to 20 kHz) in equal amounts[/color]. [color:white]Most people perceive this sound as having more high-frequency content than low, but this is not the case[/color]. [color:white]This perception occurs because each successive octave has twice as many frequencies as the one preceding it[/color]. [color:white]For example, from 100 Hz to 200 Hz, there are one hundred discrete frequencies[/color]. .[/b][color:white]In the next octave (from 200 Hz to 400 Hz), there are two hundred frequencies[/color].
    [color:white]White noise can be generated on a sound synthesizer. Sound designers can use this sound, with some processing and filtering, to create a multitude of effects such as wind, surf, space whooshes, and rumbles[/color]. [color:white]Pink noise is a variant of white noise[/color]..[/b][color:pink] Pink noise is white noise that has been filtered to reduce the volume at each octave[/color]. [color:white]This is done to compensate for the increase in the number of frequencies per octave[/color]. .[/b][color:white]Each octave is reduced by 6 decibels, resulting in a noise sound wave that has equal energy at every octave[/color]. [color:white] White noise can be generated on a sound synthesizer. Sound designers can use this sound, with some processing and filtering, to create a multitude of effects such as wind, surf, space whooshes, and rumbles. Pink noise is a variant of white noise[/color].[color:white] Pink noise is white noise that has been filtered to reduce the volume at each octave[/color]..[/b] [color:white]This is done to compensate for the increase in the number of frequencies per octave[/color]. .[/b][color:white]Each octave is reduced by 6 decibels, resulting in a noise sound wave that has equal energy at every octave. [/color].[/b]

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Yes, I could not stop reading this little zine when it arrived. The stories are priceless. Between Schnipper and Hcrink's Mix, folls have been killing it with the creative output on here lately.

Yup. Just wait til the magic mole mix drops.

• I'm sure Schnipper's zine is "all that" but I have to digress for moment:

the Juliette Greco record I was playing

It's hard to believe that the Soulstrut massive let this little comment slip through unnoticed.

So J*nny - did you ever weigh in on the infamous "Getting into Vermont English Lit Hippie Chicks' Gingham Dresses" thread before it evolved into a Three-Six Mafia jockriding session? Because admitting (if not outright proclaiming) that you're listening to Juliette Greco records in a public space gives me pause to think that you could have had something significant to offer in the area of 10,000 Maniacs/Smiths/Sarah McClaughlin-related panty-removing tips. Not to mention the opportunity to out-floss Faux in the arena of conspicuous highbrow-culture flaunting. Surely, out-in-the-open Greco-listening weighs in somewhere equal-to-or-greater-than trolling the local yacht port hoping to catch a glimpse of Jay-Z sunbathing, yes? Just wondering.

I had never heard of, let alone heard Juliette Greco before I grabbed the record a couple weeks ago. This is like what would happen if Jay Z invited RA The Rugged Man out sailing for a day

As for V.E.L.H.C.G.D. advice, I'd just say, you know, stop fucking around and just poke it out, yo

• Thank you everyone! I ran out of my first (very small) run of these and just made more today. Expect to see these in some shops and distro places soon, with some luck. If anyone knows of a good record shop or small book store type place that might be good to carry these, PM me with a contact address and I will get at them.

• Expect to see these in some shops

We've got a few left for the discriminating hattoire de rigeur

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    Thank you everyone! I ran out of my first (very small) run of these and just made more today. Expect to see these in some shops and distro places soon, with some luck. If anyone knows of a good record shop or small book store type place that might be good to carry these, PM me with a contact address and I will get at them.