"DIG!" documentary- anybody catch this?

On_the_Red_ClayOn_the_Red_Clay 1,728 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
Saw this earlier this week: a *lot* better then expected. Chronicling (sp) the careers of The Brian Jonestown Massacre and The Dandy Warhols over a period of seven(!) years, this is a rockumentary as good as they come.Anyone else see this?

Comments

• phono13phono13 842 Posts
    Caught it at Sundance a couple years ago, and really enjoyed it. Wasn't it filmed over the course of 7-8 years?

• yeah man - saw it in the theater...great documentary. Anton is one fucking crazy ego-maniac/depressed/enraged/druggie

Gotta love the performance at the Viper Room.

• Agent45Agent45 451 Posts
    funny at times, but mostly draining, just like their live shows. I gave up on those fuckers. Paying money to watch a band fight doesn't do it for me. Granted, I thought about going to see them when they came through town recently but came to my senses. Last caught one of their shows at The Point in Atlanta (RIP) in - what was it - 97 or 98?? Anyway, the DVD is a decent rental.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    I rented it...I gotta say I was underwhelmed. It started out interesting but really got dull as it rambled on.

I wanted to like it, but just was bored stiff. Didn't help that most of the individuals in both bands seemed like some of the most miserable, unpleasant people you could ever hope to encounter. And in the Rock scene of the late 90s, that is really saying something.

And how is the BJM main dude a tortured genius(angle played up in the film)? Seemed like another average drunk musician who can't deliver a decent performance to me.

Thumbs down.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    my pal mitch got a blowjob from zia, back in 97.

• my pal mitch got a blowjob from zia, back in 97.

is Zia the chick in the Dandy Worhals?

• awallawall 673 Posts
    good movie. terrible bands.

the really obnoxious fashion glasses guy used to word at a record store here in santa cruz. i think he works at ameoba in sf now.

but really, the dandy warhols make some of the worst music i've ever heard.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    my pal mitch got a blowjob from zia, back in 97.

is Zia the chick in the Dandy Worhals?
    yes. he ran the pepperdine college radio station for a few years, and got to know them pretty well... stories that made that movie portray them as angels.

• MoSSMoSS 458 Posts
    I wasn't open on these Dandy Warhol guys until I saw 9 Songs. I fell in love with that song they did live in 9 SONGS to the point I waited for the DVD and ripped the wav off the dvd and made my own version of it live. I then went looking for their music (when I first saw 9 songs, I had no idea who the group was because I left before the credits), only to be dissapointed like hell. I mean, I might have liked it if I hadn't heard the live sound first, but god the recorded CD was so much worse to me. lol. That song "Last high" or something? The live version smacks the shit out of the one they used as a single. lol. It's like night and day. The live sounds like it's out of '73, where the recorded version sounds like some pop music. Anyhow, I did see this docu just off the strenght of the 9 songs tune and enjoyed it.