OST's for Kenneth Anger films?

edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
I am not into his movies but about a year ago I watched some flick with Marianne Faithful in it. Lucifer Rising? and it had two other short films on the video. dcastillo's mix reminded me of the music. The main film had this cosmic psychedelic slow druggy score that I have heard is this dude Bobby Beausoleil from the manson family?? it was surprisingly really good. but there was this other anger short film on ths video that featured some belly dancer getting dolled up and preparing for her show and the song was so beautiful and it wasn't Beausoleil. it was just a simple acoustic tyrannosaurus rex sounding jawn that i wish i could hear again but on record or cd, not from the tv speaker.Does anyone know if there are soundtracks available for Kenneth Anger films besides Lucifer Rising?

Comments

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    but there was this other anger short film on ths video that featured some belly dancer getting dolled up and preparing for her show and the song was so beautiful and it wasn't Beausoleil. it was just a simple acoustic tyrannosaurus rex sounding jawn that i wish i could hear again but on record or cd, not from the tv speaker.

Does anyone know if there are soundtracks available for Kenneth Anger films besides Lucifer Rising?

sounds like you are talking about "Puce Moment"... the problem with talking about the music for Anger films is that he changes it constantly, one year he'll show a film with an oldies song underneathe, next year it's classical music, so it depends on what edition you watched... he uses mostly found music, i.e. pop songs... the Bobby Beausoloil stuff i *think* was officially released, as was the music Mick Jagger did for "inovcation of my demon brother" (if they're not official releases, they've been bootlegged. the Jimmy Page stuff for "lucifer rising", is available on bootleg.

so, long story short, b/c most of his movies were never released officially, just screened in small theatres, they were never big enough to warrant soundtracks. the good news is, the vast majority of the music he uses is found music, whether pop or classical. I'm sure the acoustic t-rex sounding stuff is just someone else's record...

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    this reminds me i need that jimmy page ost big time.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts

sounds like you are talking about "Puce Moment"... the problem with talking about the music for Anger films is that he changes it constantly, one year he'll show a film with an oldies song underneathe, next year it's classical music, so it depends on what edition you watched... he uses mostly found music, i.e. pop songs...

thanks for helping me figure out what film it was - i found out through intersleuthing that the film is actually from 1949 but the song i heard was definitely 60s. i don't even remember the name of the anger collection i watched so i don't think i'll be able to hear that song again.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    RAER:

Just released in the past year (Bobby Beausoleil OST to same movie):

You can find Mick Jagger's 11-minute moog wankery mentioned above for free download at ubuweb

Thats all I know...

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    I am not into his movies but about a year ago I watched some flick with Marianne Faithful in it. Lucifer Rising? and it had two other short films on the video. dcastillo's mix reminded me of the music. The main film had this cosmic psychedelic slow druggy score that I have heard is this dude Bobby Beausoleil from the manson family?? it was surprisingly really good. but there was this other anger short film on ths video that featured some belly dancer getting dolled up and preparing for her show and the song was so beautiful and it wasn't Beausoleil. it was just a simple acoustic tyrannosaurus rex sounding jawn that i wish i could hear again but on record or cd, not from the tv speaker.

Does anyone know if there are soundtracks available for Kenneth Anger films besides Lucifer Rising?

my avatar is from lucifer rising.

A little note on the soundtrack, there is the one Beausoleil finished while in prison. With that one song sounding like "While My Guitar Gently Weeps", and then there are the late 60s sessions from the magick powerhouse of oz that were dismissed as being lost tapes/taped over/never recorded. Those tapes were released not too long ago. Totally wasted sounding.

But all realness lies in Popol Vuh - In Der Garten Pharohs and Letze Tage. No Kenneth Anger soundtracks, but the sound of these 2 albums are appropriate to be name dropped in here.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    Popol Vuh - In Der Garten Pharohs and Letze Tage.

so true.. i need me some wax on these

that is what i thought

But all realness lies in Popol Vuh - In Der Garten Pharohs and Letze Tage. No Kenneth Anger soundtracks, but the sound of these 2 albums are appropriate to be name dropped in here.

thanks for reminding me - i need to get my weight up in the popol vuh dept. most of what i have are herzog soundtracks

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts

that is what i thought

thanks for reminding me - i need to get my weight up in the popol vuh dept. most of what i have are herzog soundtracks

yeah. The wrath of God OST doesn't really do it for me as much. Definitely seek these 2 out.

• The movie you are talking about is definitely "Puce Moment". Is the music you're talking about kind of dreary 60s rock? I think the version of the movie I have has two songs playing during it, and they sound like they are both by the same artist, but I dont know who it is.
    I can try to record the music and post it. I have these things on VHS so it might take me a little while to get it recorded and posted (gotta find the tapes first), but if you are interested I can put them up. I cant promise the sound quality will be great or anything.

The movie you are talking about is definitely "Puce Moment". Is the music you're talking about kind of dreary 60s rock?

YESSSS that sounds like the same song. dreary indeed

I can try to record the music and post it. I have these things on VHS so it might take me a little while to get it recorded and posted (gotta find the tapes first), but if you are interested I can put them up. I cant promise the sound quality will be great or anything.

you sir are a good man. thank you kindly

• Okay, Ms_Damn, here you go.

Puce Moment

I would also like to know who the artist behind this is.

Anyone know?

Okay, Ms_Damn, here you go.

Puce Moment

DUDE thank you so much! this is definitely the song. soulstrut comes through again!

Anyone know?

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    jonathan halper

no records exist...

read more here...