FILE UNDER WTF: video of smurfs getting bombed

edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
my pal eric gave the heads up on this link"UNICEF recently launched a campaign to teach schoolchildren about the horrors of war. Among the efforts are a mini-cartoon, where, yes, the Smurfs are bombed"you can view the video here.

Comments

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    at the height of their popularity, too

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

This has to be an internet hoax. What's next: an STD lecture from the Thundercats?

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts

This has to be an internet hoax. What's next: an STD lecture from the Thundercats?

i don't think so. there's an article about it on this site

http://www.canada.com/ottawa/ottawacitizen/news/story.html?id=b0b5606b-bbdf-4c50-aa6a-edd905da290b

and here are all the hits on google news

http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&ned=us&q=smurfs&btnG=Search+News

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    at the height of their popularity, too

LOL

This seems a little fucked to me. I was devestated at five yrs when I saw Bambi's mother die in the forest fire. It's my first memory of horrible sadness. If I saw this ad, I'd be a wreck today.

Exactly why do children need to know about the horrors of war in such a graphic way? Why at all? They're not the ones deciding to annihilate other humans.

"We wanted something that was real war -- Smurfs losing arms, or a Smurf losing a head -- but they said no.''

Is this aimed at kids or adults?

• edubedub 715 Posts
    That looks really fake to me. Did anyone else not have smooth video?

I'm not saying those Belgians ain't wacky, but this thing is bogus.

That looks really fake to me. Did anyone else not have smooth video?

I'm not saying those Belgians ain't wacky, but this thing is bogus.

dude check out all 91 google news hits on this. it's real. it's just a really low budget slideshow kinda video.

http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&ned=us&q=smurfs&btnG=Search+News

• edubedub 715 Posts

Jeebus... if this is really true, I take this as a surefire sign of the armageddon...

kids will be traumatized if they see this.

here's a better source

http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory?id=1202957

and yes, if i was a kid this would freak me out bigtime

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts

So Gargamel finally put down the spell book and picked up the phone to Lockheed Martin, huh?

• edubedub 715 Posts

Jeebus... if this is really true, I take this as a surefire sign of the armageddon...

kids will be traumatized if they see this.

from that Canada.com story:

The animation was approved by the family of the Smurfs' late creator, "Peyo."

Belgian television viewers were given a preview of the commercial earlier this week, when it was shown on the main evening news. Reactions ranged from approval to shock and, in the case of small children who saw the episode by accident, wailing terror.

Not only did the family probably just ruin the future success of the cartoons, but the creators of the animation decide to broadcast it despite the uproar?!!

Truly, WTF?!

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Isnt' the point to make kids traumatized by violence?

I mean, when I was a kid we glorified war bigtime... BIGTIME...

Isnt' the point to make kids traumatized[/b] by violence?

I mean, when I was a kid we glorified war bigtime... BIGTIME...

jeez dude, i hope not.

i think the point is to educate and deter them from using that as a means of solving problems. i don't think they have to have the shit scared out of them and made to feel helpless and completely let down by the human race just yet. there is plenty of time for that.

• SooksSooks 714 Posts
    Part of the campaign is that the ads can't be shown before 9:00 PM, to protect the wee babies.

• Not only did the family probably just ruin the future success of the cartoons,

not really

• pointing out the obvious here, but for criminy sake: WAR IS FUCKED UP!!!

i read about this yesterday and hell yeah i was afraid to view that thing! i definitely dont think kids should view it, but if watching THE SMURFS DIE makes you upset, imagine the deal Iraqi's have right now. Oh yeah, for "OUR" freedom. Unfortunately, this li'l video will probably be preaching to the chior. I mean, if Georgie saw or heard about the thing, he'd probably think it was some screwy version of "intelligent design".

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    "We wanted something that was real war -- Smurfs losing arms, or a Smurf losing a head -- but they said no.''

Hmm, imagine that.

• sleepsleep 54 Posts
    in the uk the story was that it's a cartoon meant for ADULTS to give them an insight into how war affects children

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts

So Gargamel finally put down the spell book and picked up the phone to Lockheed Martin, huh?