Plaese to Post Your Favorite Japanese Girl Names

lambertlambert 1,166 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
I have to name a cat and i need something cute.So far I have Iniko, but it's not flying with the lady.Any help is appreciated.Thanks in advance.

Comments

• momoko
    sakura

• kazusa

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    yoshimi
    miko

• Chiyo, not Leo.

• Noriko!

Unless your cat is green, in which case you should definitely go with Midori.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Yoko (no Ono)

• Mieko

Supposedly means artistic.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Favorite Japanese girl???s names:

Yuki is the best Japanese girl's name. I am a little biased; it's my wife's name

Here is a list of Japanese cat names that should be helpful,

http://www.cats-central.com/cat-names/japanese_cat_names.html

molly, amy or beth.

they always choose white girl names.

BAN! WTF are you talking about?!

• Favorite Japanese girl???s names:

Yuki is the best Japanese girl's name. I am a little biased; it's my wife's name

Chan that list is well nice.
    The lady and I just had dinner with an 'AKIKO' had no idea that meant 'autumn child'.
    Sweet!

• I like 'Mami'. It's fun to say. Hey Mami!

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    tamiko or tami-chan, girl i knew.

• I have a friend named Tamiko, but it's a "black girl" name. Not really though, her dad was into Japanese stuff. Oh yeah, and her cousin's name is Taza. She's a girl too. Named after the spanish word for cup. Tamiko calls me Cups.

• Chiyo, not Leo.

chiyo sounds fresh.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Favorite Japanese girl???s names:

Yuki is a wicked name... Yuki from Nobody Knows is so damn cute.

I also like Emiko, Kita, Suki, Yumiko

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    kiyoko!

• Akira Fubuki

Akira Fubuki

Ha Ha! You're a fool for that one! She's retired now and no longer making movies. You know that's not her real name either. LOL

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    Masako Esperanza Oishi cause that's my wife's name...

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    oh shit...but I didn't realize that you were going to name your cat...if you name your cat after my wife...well, that would be hella wierd...kinda cool though...you might have to have us over for dinner though...just on general principle...ya know? Is your cat black...Masako and I have a black cat named little boy...

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts
    satoko

and if i remember correctly, she spun funk and soul one time on my night. when she brought out the sweet charles record, i almost shit my pants.

• lambertlambert 1,166 Posts
    Thanks for the replies.

I'm thinking "Hana". My fiance happens to think the letter "k" in a name makes it sound harsh, which really isn't the case, imo, so that's my compromise so far.

I'm going to check that link now.

• I like Yuri. Everytime I hear it I think of this guy.

For real though "Yuriko" is nice.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Just a question but would anyone query about African or Jewish names to apply to a pet?

Provided, the Japanese have cuteness down to a science but it feels a little perturbing to treat their names as fodder for pet names. I know the West has a long tradition of the West has infantalizing Asia - I guess this is just another form.

Yeah, I went there. I'm just not big on bantering about whether, say, my daughter's Japanese name would sound cute for a cat, especially since we'd never try this with other culture's names.

• I have this dilemma whether to give any children that I will inevitably have within the next few years Japanese name.
    But as she/he will be growing up in the England and will have a western surname (Parker) I don???t know its really the best thing to do.

• wait these names are for an animal? i was just thinking of cute Japanese names. mental note: read posts more closely in future.

that being said maybe the poster is Japanese? in which case giving his/her animal a Japanese name is normal, right? i've always been a strong proponent of giving animals regular people names anyway. "dusty" and "boogers" was never a good look.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    Miyuki

• lambertlambert 1,166 Posts
    Odub + others,

I apologize for having possibly offended you, or any others with this thread. I didn't realize that anyone might see the adornment of a cat with a particular cultures name as a means of infantalizing said culture. I may seem naive, but I honestly never made the association. Although , Having just read what I wrote above though, I guess it does look pretty embarassing.

Now I have something to consider, as I do see your point. It probably is intrusive of a westerner to appropriate a Japanese name for the sake of a pet name. But honestly guys, no harm was intended. The only reason I was thinking of a Japanese name was purely for the phoenetic aesthetics of many of the syllables used in more common Japanese names. I had no intention of lowering an entire culture to the status of a house pet.

Anyways, I apologize for possibly coming off as ignorant or slanderous with this thread, though thanks to the posts, I do think I learned something.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Just a question but would anyone query about African or Jewish names to apply to a pet?

Provided, the Japanese have cuteness down to a science but it feels a little perturbing to treat their names as fodder for pet names. I know the West has a long tradition of the West has infantalizing Asia - I guess this is just another form.

Yeah, I went there. I'm just not big on bantering about whether, say, my daughter's Japanese name would sound cute for a cat, especially since we'd never try this with other culture's names.

Personally, I think your reading far to much into it. Since many things in Asia jump onto "westernised" cultures as well. Isn't imitation just the best form of flattery? I don't seem to have a problem with someone who just happened to name their pet with the same name as my mother or even a good japanese friend of mine who named their cat after my ex-girlfriend, just cause they thought the name was cute.

Pets to many humans are just extentions to family for the most part. Maybe if we were naming most pets with names we don't also have for other humans I could understand your argument. But we aren't...

Anyways... Yeah, I didn't read it was for a cat either. But whatever... I say name it anything that fits it's character. No matter what language you want. I would look first to see what the name means, to see if it fits and then decide.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    I cant believe you're apologizing for this? Did somebody send you a nastygram about it or something? If they did, then they are the one with the problem.

oh - wait. Im sorry if I offended anyone with the gey Richard Simmons I meant it purely as a ............