The earthquake in Pakistan

peacefulrotationpeacefulrotation 3,481 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central

Comments

• International response... hmmmm... US was like "we'll probably have to send cash"

whats good cheecho.

• It's so huge man, damn. The earthpiece is busting some real world moves this year and it's frightening.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

• it's kind of funny the lack of concern. i don't want to chastise anyone but isn't it a little hypocritical to help people only in your own country but when it happens in the third world, nothing.

out of sight out of mind i guess.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    I wouldn't say that yet. Even after the tsunami it took a while for the effect to really kick in. I remember for the first few days I didn't hear anything about it too much. Keep in mind I don't have cable so I get most of my news from the internet. Plus everyone is probably pretty tapped from the tsunami and Katrina as far as being able to provide aid.

Not much was made about that Iran earthquake a year or so ago. That was pretty devasting but I think Iran pretty much said they didn't want any help.

• This really made me sad... They talk about at least 40.000 dead now among which many children. Unbelievable.

Did organizations open a number to donate where you all are? I hope people will chip in... I just did. I've been to Pakistan several times. Despite that the're poor, their hospitality seems to be limitless. Very good folks. Will this again hit the poorest?

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    it has been a disproportionately bad year for natural calamities. Yes I do realize the tsunami hit late december but I'm counting it anyways. Let's hope this will be the last of 2005

• I wouldn't say that yet. Even after Hurrican Rita hit on our own shores[/b] it took a while for the effect to really kick in. I remember for the first few days I didn't hear anything about it too much.

And on another note: I know that we all die, every one of us, and that when one's time is up, it's just up, but damn.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts

that says it all

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Dave,

I agree with you. I was on vacation when the earthquake hit and it really struck me: 20,000 dead in a relative instant compared to what likely will be less than 2000 dead from Katrina. It's not like you can do a Quicken accounting chart of this sort of thing but it's pretty much the case that most Americans only care about what happens here. I'm not even saying this to chastise folks - that's just the real shit regarding American exceptionalism. 10 dead in America is a tragedy. Tens of thousands dead elsewhere? A statistic. Again, I'm not aiming this at folks here. I'm just saying.

Also, at least as many people died in a single Guatemalan landslide the other day (from Hurricane Stan) than in the Gulf Coast from Katrina and Rita.

it's kind of funny the lack of concern. i don't want to chastise anyone but isn't it a little hypocritical to help people only in your own country but when it happens in the third world, nothing.

out of sight out of mind i guess.