Religious music?

bergrootbergroot 9 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
Hey, I never post here, but I have a question for you guys.I've been collecting music for a while and I'm into things with a good groove and all that. But what I wanna hear is some nice, 70s religious/christian music. I just came across mp3s of something (as far as I know) rare. A religious bluesy rock folkish album by the group "Candida Pax" called "Free".Basicly, I wanna know some good albums with religious content. Both groovy stuff and mellow ish...SO, any progg, funk, psych, rock, blues etc to recommend?And yes, I'm a religious dude...

Comments

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

holla if you need a sealed copy

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    this is a recent pressing and still very much available, I highly recommend it:

• Give me one of those Adam. OK thanks.

You need a book called Archivist by Ken Scott -- do a google and report back in a year and tell me if you're still diggin the music. I am down with Search Party (the clear and obvious best xian LP ever), Marj Snyder, some God Unlimited, Caedmon, Ljubimo, early Larry Norman, a couple of other things. There are a lot of fuzz psych records that are worth $500 and for the most part they wouldn't be very interesting if they didn't have the exoticism of being heavy fuzz records about Jesus, most are str8 garbage. I got burnt out on trying to like this music and am blowing out a lot of my records soon.

• i just finished a comp of this stuff, pm me if you want to order. It has 21 tracks and is $8. It'll be up your alley.

some groups not mentioned that I like:

agape
    window
    dust

that being said I find one track albums all over the place here in texas.

but you would serve yourself to get the book D recommends. Not comprehensive, but a good starter.

• Cool... but I have no idea what that sounds like, will add the images to my memory so I can look for them while digging. Got any mp3s of it?
    I've added it to my wishlist on slsk.

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    im not an expert but heres a little bit:

http://s57.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2JQCASKP0UBEF08F0VN2O9GH6U

• Thanks for all the help guys, I've found some webpages (using your info) that got soundclips... and man, I am really excited about some of my finds.

http://one-way.org/realaudio/jesusmusic/azitis/fromthis.ram

I mean... come on, this is amazing.

Just found out it was only pressed in 500 copies.. If someone have the possibility to rip this I would be VERY happy. Azitis - Help, from 1971

• slushslush 691 Posts
    search party freaks me out!

there is a cool canadian xian record called "soul survivor" ... some relaxed groovy shit at times.

is bakery - rock mass for love religious enough? or is it more of a hippy thing.

i like religious records that sound eerie and cultish. that might be my reflective of my feelings about religion in general

• "I like religious records that sound eerie and cultish"

Word. Hit me up with the info!
    And yea... no "we are all made of love and clouds" hippy stuff.

• location?

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    search party is dope... i think its from the Bay Area (or so says the dude that recorded it for me). ive never seen it but i think its also been reissued?

chi-rho LP
    ermie and yabo 45

are two pieces that i think youd like.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    Shirley Caesar puts out some great music.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    search party is dope... i think its from the Bay Area (or so says the dude that recorded it for me)

"SacTown", no?

• The Sac

The New Creation is a CD-only (for you) xian item that is aptly compared to The Shaggs and strongly recommended after the first two songs. See companionrecords.com

• gambitgambit 906 Posts
    Cop Sister Janet Mead - "The Lord's Prayer" b/w "Brother Sun and Sister Moon" on 45.
    The recording of "The Lord's Prayer" is pretty , IMO.

• awallawall 673 Posts
    here's some gospel records i like

Have a Talk with God
    funky. vicious snyth lines and shit. on the excellent birthright label.

Goodbye Lonliness
    hot buttery feelgood gospel. my copy is a little beat and it sounds better that way.

i have a rip of that Azitis album if anyone wants it. pm.