Elevator Music.......???

batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
Is muzak on wax compilations or is it just random tracks thrown together from various Lps?Would somebody make a muzak tape for the elevator/dentist office?I know most people play their local LITE FM station. DUH...........

Comments

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    when i think of elevator music, i think of mike flower pops

http://s41.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1NX8CZQHAR6OW1RG5MJQCVFR8C

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    Most muzak is pre programed "sets" of some sort. In the 70's resturaunts etc would have what were basically x-large 8-tracks that had about an hours worth of music that would loop. No it's more digital with entire "stations" being broadcast into stores. No comercials, nothing offensive, pick the style of music you want.

Some where actually artists, some are studio bands and big bands payed to re-playt he stuff, I'm assume to make it more background shmaltz.

There are plenty of LP's in thrift stores that will replicate the elevator experience for you!

• Would somebody make a muzak tape for the elevator/dentist office?

Ha ..I thought you were asking somone here to upload a mix for your dentistry. That'd be cool...

Cool & Strange Magazine used to be an awesome read for all this stuiff.
    Unfortunately it no longer exists, but you can get back issues from the dude..
    COOL & STRANGE[/b]

This is an excellent book about the music I bought about 10 years ago.
    Elevator Music : A Surreal History of Muzak, Easy-Listening, and Other Moodsong [/b]

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts

This is an excellent book about the music I bought about 10 years ago.
    Elevator Music : A Surreal History of Muzak, Easy-Listening, and Other Moodsong [/b]

Cool. Hoefully this covers the fact that a lot of store music had subliminal messages. There would be all kinds of "buy more, move fast" phrases in the song. Not long afer the backmasking methods were developed they made it illegal to put this stuff in store music.