Portable digital recorder - recommendations

DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
For recording DJ sets.Must be able to record at least 2 hours uncompressed (i.e. WAV or AIFF)Suggestions please.

Comments

• I believe the Iriver is the one that's capable of that AND is recognized as an exernal drive w/out installing software.

don't own one though, so don't take my word for it...

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/MicroTrack2496-focus.html

It can only do 100 minutes, but shit seems pretty dope.

• I believe the Iriver is the one that's capable of that AND is recognized as an exernal drive w/out installing software.

If you're on a mac you don't want an iRiver. They're only semi-compatible, and I've had lots of problems with mine.

For some reason it times out sometimes when recording, which can be a real bummer. Like if you're recording a dj set and at the end of the night you discover that it's only recorded the first hour and 15 minutes.

Another problem I have is that sometimes the recorded file gets corrupted and won't play through all the way.

However, when it does work properly it sounds great. But in my opinion the cons outweigh the pros.

I've got an older iRiver - the 120 - that overall I really like, but there's a couple sketchy things with it....there is a WAV filesize limit that basically translates to roughly an hour and twenty minutes of audio if I remember right, so you're not going to hit two hours on it. (you could in the highest bitrate MP3 setting on it, tho).

I have had one 120 crap out on me out of the blue right before the warranty ran out, but the company sent me a new one in a little over a week....but if I record to the limit in WAV mode the hard drive crashes and corrupts the file - it won't move the file off of the HD so I record way under the filesize limits in WAV or use MP3 for longer recording times that I can't interrupt........I still like it and comes in handy, but it's not the Totally Perfect Machine I was looking for in a digital recorder.

I've got an older iRiver - the 120 - that overall I really like, but there's a couple sketchy things with it....there is a WAV filesize limit that basically translates to roughly an hour and twenty minutes of audio if I remember right, so you're not going to hit two hours on it. (you could in the highest bitrate MP3 setting on it, tho).

I have had one 120 crap out on me out of the blue right before the warranty ran out, but the company sent me a new one in a little over a week....but if I record to the limit in WAV mode the hard drive crashes and corrupts the file - it won't move the file off of the HD so I record way under the filesize limits in WAV or use MP3 for longer recording times that I can't interrupt........I still like it and comes in handy, but it's not the Totally Perfect Machine I was looking for in a digital recorder.

Rockbox Rockbox Rockbox
    open source firmware for the 120/140.

all your problems solved for your h120.
    www.rockbox.org
    they have good forums too, also www.misticriver.net

limitless recording and glitch-free
    customizable crossfading
    customizable now-playing screen
    on the go playlists
    gameboy emulator
    the list goes on.....

I have the 140 - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED there may be some left at www.advancedmp3players.co.uk if not get one from ebay or wherever you can.
    The 320/340 is great too and will have rockbox capability soon.

• Rockbox Rockbox Rockbox

thx, Otis! will check it out.

www.rockbox.org

customizable crossfading
    on the go playlists
    gameboy emulator
    the list goes on.....

I have the 140 - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED there may be some left at www.advancedmp3players.co.uk if not get one from ebay or wherever you can.

So.. could you give a brief rundown on how you install the firmware? I downloaded the new version and put it in the root directory.. what next?

(I looked for instructions on the website but it seemed to only address the Archos thing.)

www.rockbox.org

customizable crossfading

on the go playlists

gameboy emulator

the list goes on.....

So.. could you give a brief rundown on how you install the firmware? I downloaded the new version and put it in the root directory.. what next?

(I looked for instructions on the website but it seemed to only address the Archos thing.)

Instructions here

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    What, nobody checks out the ad's on here???

http://www.geminidj.com/ikey.html

Gemini tho... Like I was once asked. Have they ever put out anything that was solid???

www.rockbox.org

customizable crossfading
    on the go playlists
    gameboy emulator
    the list goes on.....

Instructions here

Thanks! Now, how the hell do I record? The manual seems to be missing some key instructions.. (either that or I'm going blind).

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    The specs on the new m-audio microtrack are pretty insane.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

2-channel WAV and MP3 recording and playback for pro recording,

storage via convenient CompactFlash or microdrives

immediate drag-and-drop file transfer to PC and Mac via USB 2.0 mini- connector

powered via USB, rechargeable lithium-ion battery or power supply (both included)

separate left and right input level controls with signal and peak indicators

professional balanced 1/4??? TRS inputs with mic/line switch

dual microphone preamps with phantom power for studio microphones

1/8??? TRS input with 5V power for use with stereo electret microphone (microphone included)

S/PDIF coaxial input for digital transfers

monitoring via RCA line outputs or 1/8??? stereo headphone output

stereo output level control

large LCD for navigation and statistics

dedicated buttons for navigation, record, hold, pause, delete, menu, and power

includes software for editing and file format conversion

64MB CompactFlash card included

MP3 recording: 96 to 320kbps at 32, 44.1 or 48kHz
    PCM recording: 16 or 24-bit at 32, 44.1, 48, 88.2 or 96kHz
    storage capacity: variable based on data rate and storage medium
    battery life before recharge: approximately four to five hours (three hours with phantom power)
    Width: 61mm or 2.4???
    Height: 109.5mm or 4.3???
    Thickness: 28.5mm or 1.12??? over the LCD.
    Weight: 4.9oz or 138.9 grams without CF card; 5.2oz or 147.4 grams with CF card

1/8" Mic Input
    Input Level: -14dBV
    Signal-to-Noise Ratio: -98dB, A-weighted
    Dynamic Range: 98dB, A-weighted
    THD+N: 0.003% (-90dB) @ -1dBFS, 1kHz
    Channel-to-Channel Crosstalk (Bal): < -100dB
    Frequency Response: 20Hz to 20kHz, +/- 0.5dB
    Preamp Gain: >34dB
    stereo electret condenser power: electret condenser power enable

1/4" Mic/Line Inputs
    Maximum Input Level: +4.3dBu, balanced; +2.1dBV, unbalanced
    Signal-to-Noise Ratio: -100dB, A-weighted
    Dynamic Range: 100dB, A-weighted
    THD+N: 0.003% (-90dB) @ -1dBFS, 1kHz
    Frequency Response: 20Hz to 20kHz, +/- 0.3dB @ 48kHz sample rate
    Pre-amp Gain: > 55dB
    Phantom Power: switchable phantom power

Line Outputs
    Maximum Output Level: +2dBV, unbalanced
    Signal-to-Noise Ratio: -102dB, A-weighted
    Dynamic Range: 102dB, A-weighted
    THD+N: 0.00265% (-91.5dB) @ -1dBFS, 1kHz
    Frequency Response: 20Hz to 20kHz, +/- 0.3dB @ 48kHz sample rate

Headphone Output
    Maximum Output: -2.0dBV at THD < 0.02% into 32 ohms
    Working Range: 16 ohms to 600 ohms

Windows 2000, XP (SP1)
    USB 1.1 or 2.0 port on the computer for connection and power charging

Mac OS X 10.3.9 or greater
    USB 1.1 or 2.0 port on the computer for connection and power charging

• do you find the 5gb capacity of the h10 ample? has anyone seen the u10's yet? they are super sleek, but sadly they seem to be lacking in other departments (only a 1 gb storage)