serato question

keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
i am djing after someone who is not using serato and i won't be able to get there early enough to set up my computer before him. what is the quickest way to switch over and can i avoid dead air?

Comments

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    i am djing after someone who is not using serato and i won't be able to get there early enough to set up my computer before him. what is the quickest way to switch over and can i avoid dead air?

I haven't tried this, but what you can do (I THINK) is while one table is playing a record, plug the one that's not playing into Serato. Check your calibration on that table and play a new song with Serato. Then switch the other table and do the same.

Honestly, I wouldn't recommend doing it because you have a limited time to get it all set up. If you can somehow get there early and set it up, that's the way to go.

If you have the power cord for Serato (which you can get at Radio Shack - I can give you the model #'s if need be) you can go early, set it all up and unplug your laptop while leaving everything running through Serato. Just plug your computer in when it's time for you to DJ and you'll have no problems.

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    well you can also have a crate of records ready to go and when you set up the one turntable just leave the toggle switch on the mixer so its on line (running from the turntable). Mix the record in, and then switch the other turntable doing the same thing with the toggle... and once its going, you should be able to switch to computer whenever you are ready. As long as everything works fine, there shouldn't be an issue.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    well you can also have a crate of records ready to go and when you set up the one turntable just leave the toggle switch on the mixer so its on line (running from the turntable). Mix the record in, and then switch the other turntable doing the same thing with the toggle... and once its going, you should be able to switch to computer whenever you are ready. As long as everything works fine, there shouldn't be an issue.

right - that's basically what I was saying, wasn't it?

maybe i made it too complicated

• cascas 1,484 Posts
    hold up a minuto, dr. day.

what about just letting one record play while hooking serato up to the other table. mix in a song from serato and then finally hooking the last one up.

i don't know. just a thought. i don't even have serato.
    whowhohaha!

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    yeh now that I reread it. I dunno I am pretty out of it at this point today.