well, i've finally heard that new edan album...

akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
edited April 2005 in Strut Central
AND I FUCKING LOVE IT.wow.

Comments

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    I told you so.

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    I might pick this up over the weekend...along with Beanie and that De La from a few months back...anything else I'm missing here?

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    RA the Rugged Man & That Joe Bataan joint from Daptone

I'll past on RA but I'll pick up the Sharon Jones & the Daptones 2nd lp though...

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    I might pick this up over the weekend...along with Beanie and that De La from a few months back...

I cosign that look. No other new hip hop must-haves come to mind at this moment.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I'd say cop the new Common and if you're really feeling "saucey" maybe give the Faith album some spins. Not as much "smoothed-out Mario Wynans" type of shit you'd expect, some actual "heat" is on thur.

I got Rey's approval, sweet.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    Here's some new(ish) stuff I got recently that I didn't regret purchasing:

Joe Bataan: CALL MY NAME (for real - total latin soul/jazz/funk heat - "don't sleep")
    Sharon Jones & TDK: NATURALLY (in the "play out" crate every gig - a must)
    MIA: ARULAR (off the hinges)
    Snoop: R&G (75% solid album, 25% kinda garbage)
    Three Six Mafia: CHOICES 2 (DVD + CD) (the usual socially relevant positive uplift stuff)
    Mike Jones: WHO IS MIKE JONES (+ S&C bonus CD) (guess I'm the last person here to get this)
    The Bravery: s/t (if you like sellout MTV discopunk... which apparently I do)
    The Blue Van: THE ART OF ROLLING (killer 70s style Faces/Zep/Purple damage)
    and lots of bhangra CDs I won't list because I sense a general disinterest in that genre from ya'll

I'm curious to hear the entirety of the Amerie, Faith Evans, & Ciara albums too.

• ArchaicArchaic 633 Posts
    These get the thumbs up:
    Quasimoto - Further Adventures of Lord Quas
    Zion I - True and Livin
    Perceptionists - (I forget the album title)

oh yeah, been meaning to check out that Snoop...Mia on the other hand...meh. I don't think Quasimoto is out yet so I'll have to wait on it. Been hearing a lot of good things about Perceptionists but then again, not something I would spend $ on.

Is the Joe Bataan new stuff or a collection of old heat?

• mimmim 44 Posts
    oof
    i would want the instrumental version of that Edan's album as well.. but i'm afraid there's no such thing.
    yet?

• B-E-C-K!! New album is banging
    and I think I'm the only on here that likes Beans, but that Shock City Maverick joint is also banging

• Edan pulls off that psychedelic stuff like no other rapper I've heard.

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    hmmm. I have a love hate thing going on with this new edan.

the beats are cool, some are extremely banging, but the whole thing sounds like a teaser/album sampler kinda thing. As much as I am all for unorthodox compositions and narration, I wish some of these songs would have stuck to a more traditional format ie, go off in a brief musical tangent, but then come back to another verse, instead of the next song. Another gripe is GET EDAN THE FUCK OFF THE MIC. Dude sounds like a british guy trying to fake a Brooklyn accent. It's mad annoying, and his lyrics are wack. All the guest emcees shit on him. I would love to hear this thing with sure-shots just dropping that fire(, yo). And yeah, it's a psychey thing, but take it a little easy on that echoplex. It's cool here and there, but some of that stuff should have at least been in key with the beats.

All that said, I'm still listening to this thing. But it could have been A LOT better.

Is there an instrumental for this around anywhere?

• I'd say cop the new Common and if you're really feeling "saucey" maybe give the Faith album some spins. Not as much "smoothed-out Mario Wynans" type of shit you'd expect, some actual "heat" is on thur.

Co-sign on the Faith. Shits fire.

• (if you like sellout MTV discopunk... which apparently I do)

me too, apparently.

• hmmm. I have a love hate thing going on with this new edan.

I'm still listening to this thing. But it could have been A LOT better.

Is there an instrumental for this around anywhere?

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    still best album ive heard in ages. no gripes..eh kinda. an instrumental would be nice, but i still love the record. i can see what dcastillo is saying about the voice, it does get annoying at times, but i can look past that. other than that i love this album to death.

i wanna know if the second track is basically a song being played straight through under him or if thats all layered and programmed? if its just a song, what the fuck is it because i am in love with it. if its layered & programmed, i think i just found a new idol. i really love the "yessss" and stuff. its definitely my favorite track.

and whats the thing after the intro but before the second track, the "love one....love all", i wanna know what that song is because it sounds incredible.

and i cant get enough echoplex. this album, instrumental would be perfection to me.

i love it.

• Sharon Jones & the Daptones 2nd lp though...

YES...i've been sleeping on that shit, my indy rock/baristas friends have been talking about her and i finally got to hear it last week...where have i been, usually i'm the one telling them about shit like this. i guess i ignore much of the new stuff that's 100% trying to sound like the old stuff...because i can just cop the old stuff, but i can't deny how good these songs are and the production is on point too.

• jammyjammy remixing bongo rock... 813 Posts
    i'm with ako. i cant get enough of the album. even though sections of it might be described by many as 'difficult listening', i would have to say that it is an original feat. i specially like the track where he rhymes over "charlie's theme" by the jimi entley band.

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts
    I dig the album, I agree on his voice, however that is a real minor gripe coming from me.. love the beats, love his older stuff too. The collabs are pretty nice on Beauty and the Beat