In Depth Label BITD Info Needed (Real Headz Qs!)

The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
I have a quick,but (possibly) difficult question to ask about back in the day music labels. What labels from back then are now under the catalog of Universal Music? Are any of these labels (from then) under their control (now)?TKKingRepriseThanks in advancePeaceT.N.

Comments

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,915 Posts
    I have a quick,but (possibly) difficult question to ask about back in the day music labels. What labels from back then are now under the catalog of Universal Music? Are any of these labels (from then) under their control (now)?

TK
    King
    Reprise

Thanks in advance
    Peace
    T.N.

Not sure who owns the TK catalogue now, but I can find out for you if no-one else comes up with an answer. Warner Music owns Reprise - it began life as a joint-venture/vanity project with Frank Sinatra. Obviously, Universal acquired the rights to all the shit James Brown did for King, but they may own the rest of the King/Starday catalog, too, although I'm not sure of that. They definitely own all the Chess/Cadet shit, as well as all the Motown related labels. A quick heads-up in case your question relates to licensing of masters or clearing of samples - Warner are a real pain in the arse to deal with on both fronts. To do business with them in either capacity will cost you a lot of money, and will probably be an almighty headache.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Not sample clearance related, thanks for the help so far though. There is a guy who I'm trying to get "the product" from, and I was wondering if he's being supplied by Universal.

Anyone else know anything? A diagram of Universal's umbrella would be awesome.
    Thanks
    Peace
    T.N.

• Post deleted by Artifactor

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Is it over W? Stay focused here though on the question posited here batches!

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,915 Posts
    Not sample clearance related, thanks for the help so far though. There is a guy who I'm trying to get "the product" from, and I was wondering if he's being supplied by Universal.

Anyone else know anything? A diagram of Universal's umbrella would be awesome.
    Thanks
    Peace
    T.N.

Have you tried http://www.universalrecords.com? I expect it mainly contains details of the current roster, but there might be something relating to owned or acquired catalogues & repertoire. I used to work for Universal, but on the publishing side. I remember now that they own shit like London, Deram, Mercury and Vertigo as well.

You could try contacting their business affairs department, and use some kind of subterfuge like, you need info about their umbrella for some research paper you're working on, or something similar. They'd probably provide it anyway, as I'm sure what they own is a matter of public record.