eBay sellers who try to pass on PayPal fees to you

faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
Isn't there something in the eBay user agreement that forbids this? or in the PayPal user agreement? Is there anybody that's dealt with the issue recently that can put their finger on the language?

Comments

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    I had a seller deny my PayPal payment because I didn't add the 3%. I told him politely to fuck off. SELLERS WHO DO THIS ARE LAME AND I WILL NOT BID ON YOUR ITEMS BASED ON PRINCIPLE. eBay says it's illegal but they turn a blind eye to it in most cases.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Isn't there something in the eBay user agreement that forbids this? or in the PayPal user agreement? Is there anybody that's dealt with the issue recently that can put their finger on the language?

it is lame. just don't buy it.

• SELLERS WHO DO THIS ARE LAME AND I WILL NOT BID ON YOUR ITEMS BASED ON PRINCIPLE.[/b]

what about sellers who simply do not accept paypal at all?

• This shit is like me charging a dude 2% extra because he wants to use a credit card. Either take it or don't.

That said I hate paypal and I do charge mofos 3% to use it in the store.

I guess I could kind of understand if it was a huge purchase. But then, cut the buyer some slack just for buying hundreds of dollars worth of shit you know?

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts

If they are in the states, I always bid on their shit! You'd be suprised how much lower those auctions go for because heads are too slow on the money orders.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

Well, in Argentina Paypal doesn't work for sellers. You can only make payments.

• I had a seller deny my PayPal payment because I didn't add the 3%. I told him politely to fuck off. SELLERS WHO DO THIS ARE LAME AND I WILL NOT BID ON YOUR ITEMS BASED ON PRINCIPLE. eBay says it's illegal but they turn a blind eye to it in most cases.

Here is what I email to sellers who try to do this.

sorry to say, but you can't charge a % surcharge for using paypal. There is some confusion about this. Ebay and paypal both prohibit it. They will suspend your accounts if you keep doing it. I do business on ebay, too. It sucks, but we all have to play by the rules. I already have to pay the paypal fee for the $ I get through paypal. If I pay a surcharge to you I'm paying double % surcharge and you don't pay any!

You can read more here:
    http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/listing-surcharges.html
    http://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=p/gen/ua/policy_payments-outside (part "V. No Surcharges")

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    sorry to say, but you can't charge a % surcharge for using paypal. There is some confusion about this. Ebay and paypal both prohibit it. They will suspend your accounts if you keep doing it. I do business on ebay, too. It sucks, but we all have to play by the rules. I already have to pay the paypal fee for the $ I get through paypal. If I pay a surcharge to you I'm paying double % surcharge and you don't pay any!

You can read more here:
    http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/listing-surcharges.html
    http://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=p/gen/ua/policy_payments-outside (part "V. No Surcharges")

Thanks, those are the links that I was looking for--figured one of you big dudes would have them on file.

In this case, I didn't notice the surcharge until after the auction had closed (it was buried towards the bottom of the page).

My strategy is going to be simply to pay the final price + s/h and if he comes back at me talking about surcharges to direct him to the language that Aschrock located.

This shit is like me charging a dude 2% extra because he wants to use a credit card. Either take it or don't.

Damn, dudes are actually like "Lemme come behind the counter and use your computer to PayPal you"?

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    This shit is like me charging a dude 2% extra because he wants to use a credit card. Either take it or don't.

Damn, dudes are actually like "Lemme come behind the counter and use your computer to PayPal you"?

I bought a record off JP via-Good and he gave me the option of check, MO or PayPal, with fee. I didn't really want to write a check, send it and wait for it to get there, etc., so I tossed him the extra X% for the sake of convenience.

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    Folks need to get with the paypal debit card for Real World??? application!

• This shit is like me charging a dude 2% extra because he wants to use a credit card. Either take it or don't.

I had a dude do this twice but he was dropping like $400+ each time.

• MoSSMoSS 458 Posts

What about them? I never use paypal. Is there something wrong with me?

i sold a car on eBay. dude used paypal and I didn't charge the %.

shit stung.

I think it's fair to charge a little something when shit is over five bills.

that said, most of my big money record sales to Japan have been paid with cash sent airmail!

• I had a dude do this twice but he was dropping like $400+ each time.

Dude, how you gonna charge drewn $400+ for the Leroy Hutson with the white border???

Dude, how you gonna charge drewn $400+ for the Leroy Hutson with the white border???

NYC mark-up baby. If you gotta have it and have it now, you gotta pay a premium. And now, a bit of erotic diggers fiction.

I knew he liked sweet soul. I wanted to hook him in but I didn't want to seem too eager, too obvious. As he was gently perusing the racks I placed the Hutson record on the turntable... I watched his ears perk up. His head started nodding, ever so slightly. I swear I could see goosebumps on his well-defined forearms. I knew then that I had him in my clutches. It was like molding so much warm, soft putty in my hands. I knew a man of discriminating taste wouldn't balk, when faced with the certain something - dare I say, someone - he had wanted for so long...

Hey--it was the yellow border the second time.

NYC mark-up baby. If you gotta have it and have it now, you gotta pay a premium. And now, a bit of erotic diggers fiction.

I knew he liked sweet soul. I wanted to hook him in but I didn't want to seem too eager, too obvious. As he was gently perusing the racks I placed the Hutson record on the turntable... I watched his ears perk up. His head started nodding, ever so slightly. I swear I could see goosebumps on his well-defined forearms. I knew then that I had him in my clutches. It was like molding so much warm, soft putty in my hands. I knew a man of discriminating taste wouldn't balk, when faced with the certain something - dare I say, someone - he had wanted for so long...

By request:

I have always believed that a man is allotted only so many great loves in his life, a number that is fixed from the moment of his conception. Similarly, a man rarely is able to sell the same record twice to another man. Imagine then the thrill that coursed through my body when I realized that I faced the prospect of selling Leroy Hutson's masterpiece Love Oh Love not once, but twice, to the same individual, each time for a sum in excess for the cost of a dinner for two at Tabla. Yes, if I could only play my cards right, I would accomplish the unthinkable--a task more difficult than convincing triplets to engage in a foursome. As he approached the counter, Love Oh Love occupying the warm space between his upper arm and his torso, it was as if time itself ground to a halt. We locked eyes. Would he sense my excitement? For accomplishing a seduction such as this is a delicate thing and the customer is as sensitive to heightened emotion on the part of the record dealeur as the wild filly is to the scent of sweat droplets forcing themselves out through the buckskin-clad gaucho's pores. I could hear my own heart thumping like a bass drum and then blending with the sound of his heartbeat in a joyous percussive symphony...

• coselmedcoselmed 1,114 Posts

By request:

I have always believed that a man is allotted only so many great loves in his life, a number that is fixed from the moment of his conception. Similarly, a man rarely is able to sell the same record twice to another man. Imagine then the thrill that coursed through my body when I realized that I faced the prospect of selling Leroy Hutson's masterpiece Love Oh Love not once, but twice, to the same individual, each time for a sum in excess for the cost of a dinner for two at Tabla. Yes, if I could only play my cards right, I would accomplish the unthinkable--a task more difficult than convincing triplets to engage in a foursome. As he approached the counter, Love Oh Love occupying the warm space between his upper arm and his torso, it was as if time itself ground to a halt. We locked eyes. Would he sense my excitement? For accomplishing a seduction such as this is a delicate thing and the customer is as sensitive to heightened emotion on the part of the record dealeur as the wild filly is to the scent of sweat droplets forcing themselves out through the buckskin-clad gaucho's pores. I could hear my own heart thumping like a bass drum and then blending with the sound of his heartbeat in a joyous percussive symphony...

You need to get laid, dude.

• For accomplishing a seduction such as this is a delicate thing and the customer is as sensitive to heightened emotion on the part of the record dealeur as the wild filly is to the scent of sweat droplets forcing themselves out through the buckskin-clad gaucho's pores.

I mourn the restriction on location length

By request:

You need to get laid, dude.

He's been messing up the rawmen again, eh?

He's been messing up with the raw men again, eh?

Did you intend for this to be a double entendre?

Could someone get me a towel plaese?

I feel like I'm the protagonist in a sick and twisted Eric Jerome Dickey novel.

Nah...He counts Zane as an influence, though.

Nah...He counts Zane as an influence, though.

Those Zane joints are flamez!

• sconesscones 434 Posts
    to be honest i dont sell a lot but when i do i make people add the %. purely because i had a paypal account from ages ago and i started using it on ebay and paypal just changed my account status so i got charged to recieve money. i dunno why this happend ( i assume something to do with ebay ) so i didnt argue and just made people give me the 3%..

• As far as I know Americans are NOT allowed to charge buyers to use their credit cards to pay for stuff. I believe this is US law and therefore ebay policy.

I read that on paypal somewhere

• paypal just changed my account status so i got charged to recieve money. i dunno why this happend

err paypal charge YOU to RECIEVE money regardless of wether it came through ebay