Floods in Minneapolis (sadly record related)

TheeeCasualMaleTheeeCasualMale 2,564 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
I woke up to the sounds of my answering maching at 7:30 this morning.My friend Wes told me the insane rain from last night (which brough the water in our office parking lot to mid-shin level - i had to wade to my car) had flooded his basement... where about 1/3 of his record collection is kept... on the ground.I was dead tired, but once I heard "I'm sitting here holding Headless Heroes of the Apocalypse... and it's soaking wet" that was enough motivation for me.I finished up a couple of errands and went over to help him clean up and salvage what we could. His dad was in the basement helping pump out water and all of the records had been moved upstairs. We sat and pulled records out of jackets, threw away paper inserts, and dried off sleeves as well as we could.No fun looking at and trying to dry off ruined copies of:David Axelrod "Heavy Axe" and "The Auction"Black MerdaRufus Thomas "Funky Chicken"Weldon Irvine "Cosmic Vortex"KMD "Peachfuzz" 12"De La Soul "Me Myself and I" 12"Soft Machineit just went on and on and on. Hundreds and hundreds of drenched record covers and inserts.Please take care of your records and keep them out of harm's way.

Comments

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    That fucking sucks. I wish your friend the best.

• That does suck. Lesson to all record nerds don't keep records on the floor of a basement. Keep that shit 3 feet off the ground at least.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    That fucking sucks. I wish your friend the best.

• Another shitty thing about it is that, just a few days ago, he and his girlfriend had talked about getting some shelves down there to get his records up off the ground.

This obviously could have been much worse and pales in comparison to anything flood-related we've all seen on the news over the last month, but when you see something like this up close and personal, it really puts everything in a new perspective.

Thanks for the wishes folks.
    M