Byron Lee and the Dragonnaires

DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
Which of his albums is decent. I know he was more of an uptown kinda guy so he didn't get with the heavy manners a la Lee Perry. I have the one with Backstabbers which is and another one with the gold lady on the front. Any recommendations? Sounds clips? Oh and I have this one too. ALso

Comments

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Which of his albums is decent. I know he was more of an uptown kinda guy so he didn't get with the heavy manners a la Lee Perry. I have the one with Backstabbers which is and another one with the gold lady on the front. Any recommendations? Sounds clips? Oh and I have this one too. ALso

Their covers of "Live and Let Die" and "Soul Makossa" are

Get those two hommie.

• the cover of Apache is pretty cool also, it can be found with the "soul makossa" cover, "Reggay Makossa" on the "Reggay Fever" LP...just a pic of them playing live for a bunch of squares on the cover.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    He does a decent cover of "Express Yourself" on Reggay Splashdown, too.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    I just saw that he did a record call Socarobics. Titles include "Wuk Yu Waist" "Wet Me" and "Mission Impossible". Dude has no shame?

• I have a few of his earlier ones on Dynamic that are killer.. I'll try to dig them out so I can give you some titles.

Stay away from those later ones, though.

• Red Rat's dad was in the Dragonnaires. OOOOOOH NOOOOOO!

• Options
    Top of the Ladder has a nice boogaloo/R&b track called "A&T Party"

Dance The Ska is the best LP IMO with "Frakenstein"

On with them on the wings of the airplane has some boomin' drums on "Groovy Situation"

and the blue on with "Black On' is an alright sample LP.

Other than that, beware (other than the countless dope 45's he released of himself and others on his various labels).

K in Canada.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    That song he did about the donkey was nice.

• Cosign on the REGGAY FEVER LP.

Also, Byron Lee & The Dragonaires: "Slow Run" 45 on JAD is a dope funky reggae tune. I need a clean copy if anyone has it.

BTW Byron put out a 60s ska/calypso album whose sleeve mimics the Impulse! style to a T, right down to the orange spine and the heavy cardboard ultra-glossy gatefold.

• Options
    Forgot "People Get Ready It Rocksteady '67" - title track is

K.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    He does a decent cover of "Express Yourself" on Reggay Splashdown, too.

It's better than decent: this is a really awesome cover (in my humble opinion).

• He does a decent cover of "Express Yourself" on Reggay Splashdown, too.

It's better than decent: this is a really awesome cover (in my humble opinion).

There's also a nice "I'll be there" and a Crusaders cover on that LP as well (I played the Jackson 5 cover at Ross Hogg's wedding jump-off). I got one from Groove Merchant for like 30$.

• phono13phono13 842 Posts
    I like their cover of "message to/from a black man," but am having trouble remembering the Lp, and I'm not about to get up and check it as I live in a 700 sq. ft. mansion.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts

Dance The Ska is the best LP IMO with "Frakenstein"
    Agreed.
    So many nice tunes on that one.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Also, Byron Lee & The Dragonaires: "Slow Run" 45 on JAD is a dope funky reggae tune. I need a clean copy if anyone has it.

Yeah, but I like the William Bell cover on the flip better. I've always liked that song.

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    I recently picked up Top of the Ladder and was pretty impressed, but yeah most of the stuff I've seen from the 80s looks

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    I recently picked up Top of the Ladder and was pretty impressed, but yeah most of the stuff I've seen from the 80s looks

i had that one but couldn't really get with anything other than "pipe organ" and "a&t's party", and even those i thought were just all right.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    i had that one but couldn't really get with anything other than "pipe organ" and "a&t's party", and even those i thought were just all right.

"all right" is generous... you were right to let that one go...

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts

"all right" is generous... you were right to let that one go...

you, sir, are the generous one.