what are your feelings on old sealed records?

hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
do you open them or not? Are you wary of buying them? I've got a few old LPs that I've left sealed, unless the shrinkwrap has shrunk to the point of damaging the cover. I still worry about them though. I've also bought old sealed records only to open them and find things like warped records, gatefolds that have kinda fused together over the years, etc.

Comments

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Open them jawns, dude. When I am buying a sealed record I always ask the seller to open it to make sure there's no warping.

• i used to feel bad opening sealed rekkids, but fuck that. open that sheit. it's actually quite thrilling to be the first person to listen to a rekkid that's been sealed for 30 or so years.

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    what if it's something you plan on selling or already own another copy of? does that change anything?

• Options
    What are you worried about?

K.

• Hard to play them without opening them.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    what if it's something you plan on selling or already own another copy of? does that change anything?
    this is the only time i leave somethin sealed.

• what if it's something you plan on selling or already own another copy of? does that change anything?
    unless it's something you plan to sell, that just goes back to some treating-music-as-a-novelty shit. it's all about the music. what are you going to do with a sealed copy? frame it on a wall? fuck that...

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts

Whether a record is sealed or not rarely effects price so long as it ain't some rare mono Beatles or Rolling Stones record but those people are on a different level than us guys. I wouldn't open it if I just wanted to flip it for profit.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    actually sealed records tend to sell for a bit more than those that aren't