any ideas of where to stay in NY?

SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
i'll be in manhattan/brooklyn this friday through monday (7th-10th) for a friend's wedding, and then back in the city nov 8th-16th for work, and it seems like even the ratty hotels are $250+/per night... wtf!? anyone with some good ideas? -m

Comments

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    you had that bookmarked?

• earmarked, actually.

c'mon, i know some of you guys travel. i can stay with friends THIS weekend, but a week+ couchsurfing for work is tedious.

• Why do you think they call it Man Hatten ?

• Its been a long time since I was in NY, but last time I was there I stayed at a place called the Jazz Hostel. It had black and white photos of famous muscians on the wall, and a little cafe area. Over all it was really clean and cheap. I don't know if it is still around, but it was right near the park and the subway so it would be easy to get around.

handy napkins, help a pollack out.

• mistercmisterc 329 Posts
    You're probably better off staying in Newark.

any of you ever heard of this woogo.com ? apartments for rent... a bit pricey, but the boss is paying.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    for the first time, i had a really hard time finding a hotel room in nyc. all i ask for is cleanliness, so my standards might be much lower than yours. i always stay at the Carlton Arms , which is totally booked right now. it took me a few days of calling over 30 places from Harlem to the lower east to finally find room at the Pickwick in the east 50's.

if you're driving, which i'm not, i think you have more options.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    my wife and i usually stay at the washington square hotel... convenient location, nice joint and reasonable rates.

thanks you guys... seems like there's some sort of haj going on in the city this weekend, 'cause everything's booked (red roof inn quoted $340! per night).

• CLabCLab 76 Posts
    Hotel QT

• Empire State Building...

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts

for real... check shit in jersey city.

for real... check shit in jersey city.
    i saw enough of that one in the theatre, thanks though.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    thanks you guys... seems like there's some sort of haj going on in the city this weekend, 'cause everything's booked (red roof inn quoted $340! per night).

mlb playoffs maybe? Good luck finding anything. Try someplace nearby in Connecticut and just take the train into the city possibly, I dunno.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

mlb playoffs maybe? Good luck finding anything. Try someplace nearby in Connecticut and just take the train into the city possibly, I dunno.

Did you guys miss the part where he said the company is paying? Do not stay out in the boondocks if it's on the company's dime.

word up fellas, i found some good shit on that woogo.com, as in apartments for rent, so that sounds the best, plus it's right off columbus circle. brooklyn's where it's at, but no hotels. -matt

• sconesscones 434 Posts
    stayed http://www.chelseahostel.com/ with the girl. was LIVID that the private rooms with double beds didnt have air con tho. slept with the door and window open.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts

Did you guys miss the part where he said the company is paying? Do not stay out in the boondocks if it's on the company's dime.

True... but it sounded like he was balking at the high prices and plus he's saying everything is booked up. Hell yeah, if the company's gonna pay it get a suite somewhere. That's assuming there's one available... the whole world is probably descending on NY for the Yankees playoff series, though.

That's assuming there's one available... the whole world is probably descending on NY for the Yankees playoff series, though.
    this seems to be the case, although when i'm in atlanta at the beginning of november, i best get some world series tickets for myself.

• Check out hostels for real. I did this while I was looking for my apt here in nyc. You can find a bunk-bed in a room with like 8 people for maybe 30 bucks, maybe even less. I think you can get your own room for like 50 or 60.

These places are not fancy, actually they're kinda poor. But usually they're not too dirty, and you're surrounded by foreign people who don't know what the hell is going on, which can be fun. I caught a hot dutch girl this way.

The "jazz" hostel has two locations, one "on the park" and one "in the city." The one in the park is by central park, and the one in the city is on 14th street and like 2nd ave: east village. If you're not old and don't really wanna check out museums, downtown is better because it's closer to the good record stores and other good stuff.

Google: "hostels new york" or something, and you'll find all sorts of cool websites that book hostels, but if you only have one week's notice, you' might be fucked. Also, staying in the city is better, so you can go drop off your shit, etc... Taking an hour ride to jersey and back BLOWS.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    hey bro, i'm gonna guess most of my manhattan spots are sold out... try the Best Western on Greenpoint Ave on the BK/Queens border... usually a bill a night, not too bad and actually close to the city,,,

• hcrunkhcrunk 116 Posts