Tell a ghost story.

Salary_DizSalary_Diz 735 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
I have a few. Well, they aren't really ghost stories, but here goes.Story #1.When I was in Jr. High I was spending the night at my friend's house with another friend. The 3 of us thought it would be cool to hold a seance. So we turned off the lights, grabbed a flashlight, and sat in a circle in his room. We didn't really any know any dead people to contact, and the best I could come up with was Elvis, even though he might not really be dead. So we went with Elvis. Of course we didn't really know how to do a seance, but we did the best we could. "We call upon the spirit of Elvis. Come to us, Elvis", etc. All of a sudden, we heard a loud crashing noise in the room. We screamed and ran out into the living room. Then I think we ate ice cream, but I'm not sure. I was scared though. Eventually we went back into the bedroom and discovered that his venetian blinds had fallen off the wall to the ground. So there, we contacted Elvis.Story #2.This isn't really a ghost story, but more of an urban legend, I guess. When I was in Korea, I was stationed at a place called Camp Humphreys. The camp was an airfield (originally built buy the japanese) and was basically built in a big circle. The Main Gate was at the front of the post, and in the back of the post was another gate, that GI's were not allowed to use. Only Koreans could come in through this gate, and the reason for this is that the little village by the back gate was off limits.Since that back ville had been off limits for so long, there was no GI money to make it prosper like the ville in front of the main gate (anjeong-ri). So the back ville was run down and dilapidated. It looked like a ghost town, with crumbling korean style buildings, old rusty signs, and one church. You would see korean workers entering the post through that gate, but you hardly ever saw anybody walking around the town. All you could see of the ville was what you could see through the tall fence that surrounded our post. The conventional reason for the ville and gate being off limits to GIs is that the townspeople didn't want their town to turn into a "camp town" with bars and juicy girls and drunk GIs everywhere. But the local legend at camp Humphreys told a different story.Although the airfield was originally built by the japanese, the US took over after the Korean War. The war ended in '53, but I'm not sure how long before Camp Humphreys was officially established. I've seeen old pictures online from the 60s. Anyways, its important to remember that these were still segregated times, so there were "black" bars off post and "white bars". According to "legend", that old ghost town behind the back gate used to be the ville that black soldiers would go to to drink and stuff.I've heard this story different ways, but basically, one night a young Korean girl was raped and murdered in the ville, and when the Koreans found her they went nuts and wanted revenge. They rushed the streets and found 3 black GIs leaving a bar. The beat the black GIs to death and hung their dead bodies on the fence that seperated the ville and Cp. Humphreys. According to one version, they even cut their balls off and stuffed them in their mouths.The next day the ville was declared off limits and no GI was ever to enter the town again, or go though that gate.Out of curiosity one day, and friend and I went through the front gate and walked for miles around the perimeter of Cp. Humphreys until we were in the off limits ville in the back. It was odd. We got blank stares from the few people that we saw. Most of the place was run down. They place made us uneasy and we kept walking all the way back to the front, hopped on a bus and had a great barbecue dinner in PyonTaek.Story #3This will be the story of my friend who went insane. But I don't really feel like telling that one right now, so maybe later.

Comments

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

Story #2.

This isn't really a ghost story, but more of an urban legend, I guess. When I was in Korea, I was stationed at a place called Camp Humphreys. The camp was an airfield (originally built buy the japanese) and was basically built in a big circle. The Main Gate was at the front of the post, and in the back of the post was another gate, that GI's were not allowed to use. Only Koreans could come in through this gate, and the reason for this is that the little village by the back gate was off limits.

Since that back ville had been off limits for so long, there was no GI money to make it prosper like the ville in front of the main gate (anjeong-ri). So the back ville was run down and dilapidated. It looked like a ghost town, with crumbling korean style buildings, old rusty signs, and one church. You would see korean workers entering the post through that gate, but you hardly ever saw anybody walking around the town. All you could see of the ville was what you could see through the tall fence that surrounded our post. The conventional reason for the ville and gate being off limits to GIs is that the townspeople didn't want their town to turn into a "camp town" with bars and juicy girls and drunk GIs everywhere. But the local legend at camp Humphreys told a different story.

Although the airfield was originally built by the japanese, the US took over after the Korean War. The war ended in '53, but I'm not sure how long before Camp Humphreys was officially established. I've seeen old pictures online from the 60s. Anyways, its important to remember that these were still segregated times, so there were "black" bars off post and "white bars". According to "legend", that old ghost town behind the back gate used to be the ville that black soldiers would go to to drink and stuff.

I've heard this story different ways, but basically, one night a young Korean girl was raped and murdered in the ville, and when the Koreans found her they went nuts and wanted revenge. They rushed the streets and found 3 black GIs leaving a bar. The beat the black GIs to death and hung their dead bodies on the fence that seperated the ville and Cp. Humphreys. According to one version, they even cut their balls off and stuffed them in their mouths.

The next day the ville was declared off limits and no GI was ever to enter the town again, or go though that gate.

Out of curiosity one day, and friend and I went through the front gate and walked for miles around the perimeter of Cp. Humphreys until we were in the off limits ville in the back. It was odd. We got blank stares from the few people that we saw. Most of the place was run down. They place made us uneasy and we kept walking all the way back to the front, hopped on a bus and had a great barbecue dinner in PyonTaek.

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts
    in my 20's i lived in a huge house in long beach island, nj that at one time was a doctor's house. dr. dodd was the only doctor on LBI, and since the hospital was on the mainland, it was used as a makeshift hospital when patients couldn't be transported to the real hospital. apparantly someone in a local tavern got stabbed in a bar fight and died while trying to be operated on in this hospital. he was taken to the morgue (which when i lived there was converted to an apartment (complete with concrete floors and long drains where they drained the blood out of the body). a lot of times at night, i would hear footsteps, and doors moving (i had no pets at the time), and it really creeped me out. you can read about it in the book "ghost stories of long beach island". i believe the guy got nicknamed: "the beach haven slasher". when i move din, the story was photocopied and stuck on the refrigerator. creepy ish man, creepy ish.

in my 20's i lived in a huge house in long beach island, nj that at one time was a doctor's house. dr. dodd was the only doctor on LBI, and since the hospital was on the mainland, it was used as a makeshift hospital when patients couldn't be transported to the real hospital. apparantly someone in a local tavern got stabbed in a bar fight and died while trying to be operated on in this hospital. he was taken to the morgue (which when i lived there was converted to an apartment (complete with concrete floors and long drains where they drained the blood out of the body). a lot of times at night, i would hear footsteps, and doors moving (i had no pets at the time), and it really creeped me out. you can read about it in the book "ghost stories of long beach island". i believe the guy got nicknamed: "the beach haven slasher". when i move din, the story was photocopied and stuck on the refrigerator. creepy ish man, creepy ish.
    Did you ever see the NJ Devil? My uncle claims he see it when he was a little kid.

• Good one!! more! more!

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    I'm not really into Ghost stuff. But there have been 2 times in my life that have freaked me out a lil.

Once in this building (Before I even found out about the ghost stories).

And once in Cape Cod, my EX's parents had bought an old run down house on the cape and had plans to knock down and rebuild. Well, one day her and I went over to look around and I got the worst feeling (Wasn't even inside the house). I even told her I wanted to leave. That night I broke out in a serious case of the shivers. Never went back.

• When my parents retired, they and my sister and her kids moved into an older house in Pennsylvania. One night, not long after they moved in my nephew (who was then 2 1/2, he's 10 now) walked up the hall in his pajamas to let us know that he'd just been talking to the man who's house this used to be (i.e. the late owner). After we were sure that the windows were locked and no one else was in the house, we really got scared.
    Since then we often get a feeling that someone else is in the room, things moving just out of the field of vision etc.....

• woo hoooooo!

• alright, I've got one.

so, my great-grandparents lived in Western KY (around Paducah, if any of you are around in there) and were straight-up country folks, and I mean that in a good way....great-grandpa was a tobacco farmer (and a mean fiddler, there's 8mm films of him stomping) and they basically just lived off their farm. they didn't get indoor plumbing until the early 70s and never had a TV, etc....people of another time. I barely remember my great-grandmother, and my great-grandfather died when I was around two.

anyway, in the mid-70s my great-grandmother had a heart attack, which was followed by all the requisite infections, problems, etc., etc., and ended up having a pacemaker put in. now, to her - who was used to farming land, slaughtering chickens, drawing water from wells, etc. and all that, this was a crazy piece of technology and completely foreign to her. it might as well had been a UFO for all she cared...and was always telling people "I can't believe this thing is what's keeping my alive?" and in a way she was really proud of it, this little box keeping her going.

anyway, she lived for about three more years, and passed away in '77. about a year later my grandma - who's still alive today (she's like 89 going on 39, super healthy still, thankfully) - gets this phone call from the hospital in Paducah, and asks if she was the daughter of my great-grandma, etc., etc. and my grandma replies "yes" and then the hospital asks her if my grandma called in that morning to cancel my great-grandma's annual appointment.

well, my grandma kinda thinks this is nutty and says, "well, no, my mother passed away last year, so I wouldn't have called this morning about an appointment." to which the woman from the hospital says, "well, OK, that's strange...a woman called here a minute ago and apologized for not being able to make it into her appointment this afternoon to have her pacemaker checked. when we pulled the file the papers had a death certificate in the folder and has been stamped 'deceased,' and the phone was dead when we picked it back up."

at this point my grandma is completely confused and apologizes, but she certainly didn't call the hospital about her dead mother, etc. then the hospital added, "the really strange thing is that if she were still alive, today would have indeed been time for her checkup."

I'm totally serious. I still get grandma to tell the story sometimes when I see her bc nobody can tell it like she can. there's a couple other weird stories about my great-grandma - photos of her always disappearing and reappearing in other places, etc - but that one's the best. it used to really freak me out, but now I'm like, eh, if anything she's just trying to help heh.....

• OH HELLZ YESS DUDE!!!

i love me some ghost stories. but one of the essential 4 elements of ghost stories is they gotta be told. not written. i mean, it really isnt the same reading that shit as opposed to sitting in a dark room or around a campfire telling ghost stories. anyways, here's my true story.

the legend of collin & hogan[/b]

see, collin is my boy scooter. he's this hawaiian dude that i went to church with. his real name is scott. my homie dylan [aka mitsu eric] gave us each a name. why? i have no idea. allz i know is i was called hogan. anyways, we all went to buddhist church together and i was kind of a fuck up in church. we all were. but i was kind of like queen of the fuck ups. so this one time our youth group out of podunk clovis decided to go into the big city [fresno, ca] and do the CAL OSHA inspection on the betsuin buddhist temple. the betsuin is where all the smaller more insignificant buddhist churches in central cali would go to for one of the big holidays. so it was all fancy and shit.

yeah, so me, collin, dylan, oh, and another homey raul sharif muhanti [aka dave who is now coincidentally a born again christian] were supposed to be checking the main temple for fire extinguishers and exposed pipes and whatnot. now, mind you, this church was built after some rednecks burned it down in like 1914 so its real old. its not unlike one of them god fearing churches. there's an altar area where the ministers sit and chant and to our suprise there's a secret stairwell behind the altar that leads to the floor below so that the ministers can just pop into the altar without having to walk down the center aisle. right by the stairwell was a room full of old shit. it smelled like japan in that thing, if that makes any sense. there were weird doors like 10 ft. off the ground, lots of old crates and what we thought were vases. i'll speak more on the vases later.

in the pews section where all the good buddhist folks sit. there is one side of that room that has windows running the length and the other side is just a blank wall. from the outside of the temple, though, you can see that there are actually windows all the way around that part which means they built a wall on one side covering the windows.

anyways, we get done doing our duties and then get to talking to one of the old folks that volunteers at the church. i was telling her about the secret rooms behind the altar and the boxes and weird doors and vases and shit and she's like, "oh my dear. those arent vases, those are urns." see, apparently when you die buddhist, you get burned up into ash and put in a vase. then you sit behind a buddhist altar and wait until you have a service and then your family can take you home or whatever. all buddhist churches have this. the old lady proceeds to tell us the story of a child ghost in the temple. she wanders the church late at night and you can see a faint light in the hallways. her urn was never picked up cuz no one knew what happened to her parents after the kid died. so the kid just wanders the halls looking for her parents.

right. so anyways, in our infinite wisdom, me and collin decide to go back to the church late at night during old folks bingo time and walk the halls looking for the ghost. briliant. so we're in the basement of the temple with a flashlight looking for this stupid fucking ghost. nothing. i found an old room full of shortwave radio broadcast shit which was cool. i guess they used to have a radio show or something. anyways, one of the bathrooms in the basement had a sink running so we went in and shut the sink off and my homey scooter got hella freaked out. see, hawaiians are some seriously superstitious people. like all spiritual kahuna and shit. which, i am not talking shit on for fear of being terrorized by midget polynesian goblins, but yeah. collin got freaked out. he claims that the faucet suddenly turned on and i claimed that it had always been on but it really didnt matter cuz dude took off running and that made me scared so i ran too.

then my boy went off the deep end and called up his grandma in hawaii and she was like spread tea leaves around your house and shit so we drank tea and then spread the tea leaves around his house which he claimed got rid of the evil spirits but im not convinced. but anyways, we dont go into the basement anymore.

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts

My grandmother was dying and I was having my last phone conversation with her ever (and we both knew it at the time). And it was hard for me because I didnt know what to say, so there was a lot of uncomfortable silences. So I then asked about what she wanted me to do in life. She then responds (not joking mind you): "... and you be a good boy, or i'll come back from the grave and haunt you!". And I swear that was the last thing she ever said to me.

Not really a ghost story. However, it soon could be though!

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts
    Did you ever see the NJ Devil? My uncle claims he see it when he was a little kid.

never saw it, but there are some creepy tales about the pine barrens, the jersey devil, and some f'd up satan worshippers that meet out there. my dad told me a story about a friend of his that was hunting in the pine barrens, saw a shoe, went to pick it up, and there was a foot still in it. that's creepy.

never saw it, but there are some creepy tales about the pine barrens, the jersey devil, and some f'd up satan worshippers that meet out there. my dad told me a story about a friend of his that was hunting in the pine barrens, saw a shoe, went to pick it up, and there was a foot still in it. that's creepy.

• Did you ever see the NJ Devil? My uncle claims he see it when he was a little kid.

Not to highjack the thread, but the best Sapranos episode was the one where Christopher and Pauly get lost in the pine barrens. I can't wait for the next season.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Lot of really fucked up shit happens in the pine barrens. My man was once trying to find his way to an outdoor party and got mega lost, ended up deep in the barrens and as he told me, "rolled by this stopped car in the middle of the woods with a crazy grizzly adams dude who was stuffing somthing into his trunk that looked like a wrapped up body." I believe that shit too cause my man isn't one to exaggerate at all.

• Lot of really fucked up shit happens in the pine barrens. My man was once trying to find his way to an outdoor party and got mega lost, ended up deep in the barrens and as he told me, "rolled by this stopped car in the middle of the woods with a crazy grizzly adams dude who was stuffing somthing into his trunk that looked like a wrapped up body." I believe that shit too cause my man isn't one to exaggerate at all.

WOW! AWESOME!

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    this is a funny one pls bear with me translating from Chinese:

my sister's co-worker used to live in an old Chinese apartment in a derelict district.

in their apartment there used to be this strong awkward shit-stink smell that will eventually spread thru the whole unit but only occurs ONCE IN A WHILE.

they used to think its their sewer having problems so they tried to get people to fix it but the problem has remained to occur for almost a good 2 years.

later on, they found out from the security old man that, many years before they moved in, there was a plumber guy who commited suicide in that unit.

So one time my sister's friend was stuying out in the living room one night, and the smell comes out again, she got sooo tired and MAD that she started yelling in Chinese (quoting word for word) "FUCK THIS STINKS!!! FUCK OFF WILL YA!"

her dad came out from the bedroom askng whats going on ? why the swearing ? and she said "AWW THAT FUCKING STINKING PLUMBER GUY IS OUT AGAIN AND IT PISSES ME OFF!!"

that day onward, the 'smell' never came back.

they moved out after a while.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    my boy worked for Epic and one day Ghost took him aside and talked to him for half an hour and told him that all the execs there were devils... i asked him, oh, did he tell you this b/c you were black and he said no, most of the execs Ghost was talking about were black, too....

• alright, I've got one.

so, my great-grandparents lived in Western KY (around Paducah, if any of you are around in there) and were straight-up country folks, and I mean that in a good way....great-grandpa was a tobacco farmer (and a mean fiddler, there's 8mm films of him stomping) and they basically just lived off their farm. they didn't get indoor plumbing until the early 70s and never had a TV, etc....people of another time. I barely remember my great-grandmother, and my great-grandfather died when I was around two.

anyway, in the mid-70s my great-grandmother had a heart attack, which was followed by all the requisite infections, problems, etc., etc., and ended up having a pacemaker put in. now, to her - who was used to farming land, slaughtering chickens, drawing water from wells, etc. and all that, this was a crazy piece of technology and completely foreign to her. it might as well had been a UFO for all she cared...and was always telling people "I can't believe this thing is what's keeping my alive?" and in a way she was really proud of it, this little box keeping her going.

anyway, she lived for about three more years, and passed away in '77. about a year later my grandma - who's still alive today (she's like 89 going on 39, super healthy still, thankfully) - gets this phone call from the hospital in Paducah, and asks if she was the daughter of my great-grandma, etc., etc. and my grandma replies "yes" and then the hospital asks her if my grandma called in that morning to cancel my great-grandma's annual appointment.

well, my grandma kinda thinks this is nutty and says, "well, no, my mother passed away last year, so I wouldn't have called this morning about an appointment." to which the woman from the hospital says, "well, OK, that's strange...a woman called here a minute ago and apologized for not being able to make it into her appointment this afternoon to have her pacemaker checked. when we pulled the file the papers had a death certificate in the folder and has been stamped 'deceased,' and the phone was dead when we picked it back up."

at this point my grandma is completely confused and apologizes, but she certainly didn't call the hospital about her dead mother, etc. then the hospital added, "the really strange thing is that if she were still alive, today would have indeed been time for her checkup."

I'm totally serious. I still get grandma to tell the story sometimes when I see her bc nobody can tell it like she can. there's a couple other weird stories about my great-grandma - photos of her always disappearing and reappearing in other places, etc - but that one's the best. it used to really freak me out, but now I'm like, eh, if anything she's just trying to help heh.....

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts

This is a photograph, that was taken of two friends of mine, when

they were at Eastwood City in Manilla a few years ago now back on holiday.

You know the deal - when you're somewhere else, you're too excited to

really be able to, be aware of unusual senses that might scare you and

all of that. I don't

really know that its a freak

coincidence enough to

really believe it.

They gave me this photograph to put up

on sites because they dont have a computer.

Gemma's (on the right) cousin (Pete) had sadly ran away about two

weeks before they left for that and she says it reminds her of him.

I miss that dude.

• This is a photograph, that was taken of two friends of mine, when
    they were at Eastwood City in Manilla a few years ago now back on holiday.

You know the deal - when you're somewhere else, you're too excited to
    really be able to, be aware of unusual senses that might scare you and
    all of that. I don't really know that its a freak coincidence enough to
    really believe it.
    They gave me this photograph to put up
    on sites because they dont have a computer.

Gemma's (on the right) cousin (Pete) had sadly ran away about two
    weeks before they left for that and she says it reminds her of him.

I miss that dude.

plaese to clarify. is that third figure a ghost or what? shit is spoooooky. "she says it reminds her of him" whuh???

You know it can feel eerie, how sometimes when you're looking

at something you haven't seen,

for a while and those memories and feelings can sometimes

jump out and stare back at you as you start to look at it.

Well Pete used to love snowboarding, but didn't,

like the sudden chill you can feel when you're

looking at the frightening blur

of a floor - flying towards your face after leaving

a big-ass kicker in the snow. Pete was an evil

son of a gun at getting big air though. I'll tell ya.

It does look eerie, but if you knew him before

its different than when you look at all those other pics you have seen.

We miss ya man.

I wanna read some more ghost shit y'all.

Break off your best ghost shits.