The rules of producing a good BBQ.

TECUMSEHTECUMSEH 301 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
Yo this is my first post, I keep being told that I need to be gettin up on this soulstrut board. So here I am. So just for sake of convo plus cause it's gonna be a while before it's BBQ weather again. I am just curious to see what some of ya'lls unwritten rules of producing a good BBQ are. I'll just start it off and say you gotta have the grill on. Food and turns are also a given.Also Big Chan what's up with some good spots to eat in grimy ass Georgetown. Do you know anything about the BBQ spot behind Arby's?

Comments

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    Yo this is my first post, I keep being told that I need to be gettin up on this soulstrut board. So here I am. So just for sake of convo plus cause it's gonna be a while before it's BBQ weather again. I am just curious to see what some of ya'lls unwritten rules of producing a good BBQ are.
    I'll just start it off and say you gotta have the grill on. Food and turns are also a given.

Also Big Chan what's up with some good spots to eat in grimy ass Georgetown. Do you know anything about the BBQ spot behind Arby's?
    Welcome, T.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    don't mess w/ store bought patties, or even worst frozen. Make your own hamburger patties, it's so much better. Two ways, either buy some good quality ground beef (no extra lean) and mix it w/ your choice of ingredients (garlic, shallots, herb of your choice, worcester sauce, etc) or you can buy a cut of beef and ground it up yourself.

Balance is key, don't go all out w/ meat, have a good selection of veggies (ie. salads, veggie kabobs, etc). Make sure you have bases covered for a wide taste palette. If you can afford it, get some shrimps with shell on and grill them on skewers. Anytime you're working w/ skewers, you have to soak them in water for an hour or two before or else they'll burn.

Disposable cups w/ a sharpie, write down a person's name on the side so there's no confusion. Don't run out of alcohol, plus make sure you have LOTS of ice.

Last golden rule, let food sit for a few minutes after you take it off the grill. Don't cut into it right away or all the fabulous juices inside will leak out. Put it in a trey and tent it w/ tinfoil.

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    the key is the sauce... That and taking your time... With Ribs its all about pre-boiling them to get them tender enough to fall off the bones... Then you ahve to let them marinate in your choice of BBQ... Marinate Marinate Marinate... 24 hours is a long time but it tends to make a difference... at that point and only at that point should the grill process begin and that includes continuosly adding sauce to the ribs as they grill away. I would also recommend using wood rather than gas or charcoal... A nice hickory if you want to splurge...

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    Best first post I read in my short existence as a strutter. The man is talking BBQ in his first post

• 1 - as stated previously always marinate and properly season the goods
    2 - if you're the grill man please keep your fingers off the food, thats what tongs are for
    3 - never ever flatten the burgers while grilling. takes all the juices out of em
    4 - if you're feeling adventurous, smoke ya own meats with real woodchips .. bangin!
    5 - if you got any sidedishes like nachos or anything that requires dips, give heads their own dipping sauces so there's no double dipping
    6 - might wanna peep a few eps of license to grill on discovery home channel. that cat is the grill guru

• please clairify. Do you mean cook out or BBQ because they are two totally different things?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Making your own BBQ sauce is a must. Dont fuck w/ store brands.
    Do some research into creating your personal sauce, 'cause I damn sure
    not writing mine out on this site. Bat-secret BBQ sauce!!!!

Good lps to BBQ to:

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    Best first post I read in my short existence as a strutter. The man is talking BBQ in his first post

indeed

• 2 - if you're the grill man please keep your fingers off the food, thats what tongs are for
    5 - if you got any sidedishes like nachos or anything that requires dips, give heads their own dipping sauces so there's no double dipping

?????

• Make sure the barbecue is already lit and ready to go once the beer starts flowing; i've attended many a barbecue that ended in eating out or getting take out on account of everybody being too drunk to go trough "all the hassle" of grilling meat...

• slushslush 691 Posts
    Disposable cups w/ a sharpie, write down a person's name on the side so there's no confusion.

so thorough

RULE 1: MARINATE

RULE 2: MAKE SURE THE GAS WAS NOT LEFT ON LAST TIME BY YOUR ROOMATE

Insect Repellant. Got's to keep those mosquitoes up off of you.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Yo this is my first post, I keep being told that I need to be gettin up on this soulstrut board. So here I am. So just for sake of convo plus cause it's gonna be a while before it's BBQ weather again. I am just curious to see what some of ya'lls unwritten rules of producing a good BBQ are.
    I'll just start it off and say you gotta have the grill on. Food and turns are also a given.

Also Big Chan what's up with some good spots to eat in grimy ass Georgetown. Do you know anything about the BBQ spot behind Arby's?

What up IS**C! Glad to see you finally made it on here foll. You should let the people know how long you been DJing and what kind of music you are feelin' these days. People like detailed introductions around here. Also Plaese to get an avatar of a hot girl or something.
    Spots in Georgetown:

1. Kauai Family Restaurant. Only real authentic Hawaiian food in Seattle. Plate lunches are on point. They also have a bakery and make dope Hawaiian cakes. Malasadas on Saturdays.

www.kauaifamilyrestaurant.com

2. Daimonji Japanese restaurant has good lunch specials. You get a lot of food and it's pretty good.

Daimonji Japanese Restaurant
    5963 Corson Ave. S.
    Seattle, WA 98108-2646
    Phone: 206-762-7820

3. Matt's Hot Dogs
    Chicago style hot dogs are dope

www.mattsfamouschilidogs.com

4. Muy Macho in Southpark has good authentic Mexican food

Muy Macho Mexican Grill
    8515 14th Ave. S.
    Seattle, WA
    (206) 763-3484

I'm not up on the BBQ spot behind Arby's. What is the name of it? Is it new?
    There is a Jones BBQ in SODO. Jones BBQ is all good.

Jones Barbeque - Lander Street
    2454 Occidental Ave. S. #3A
    Seattle, WA 98134
    (206) 625-1339

With Ribs its all about pre-boiling them to get them tender enough to fall off the bones...

Pre-boiling is real in some towns. If you properly marinate, you'll introduce enuff moisture to the meat/breaking the fibers. Long&slow cooking will
    guarentee tenderness.

Good call on the wood chips over the gas. Depends on the "rig" ones got.

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    mmm I used to knock pre-boiling, but seriously it make a huge difference... I used to be all about slow cooking for hours upon end... which don't get me wrong... is good as hell when done right... However with long hours of cooking you also run the risk of drying and toughening the meat. With the pre-boil it just avoids that risk, especially in conjunction with a long marinade... shit is bananas and literally just falls off the ribs.

Really both work though and its more art than eating... takes practice. The more you do it, the better you get...

Also understand I am a huge fan of the pulled meat style of BBQ found down south rather than the straight up ribs (ie. st. louis/chicago style)... And pre-boiling also helps to get the meat off the ribs that much easier.

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    Must haves for a BBQ:

1. Nice Weather

2. A Pool

-e

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    hmm... you seem like a little dood.

i think you owe me a slice of pizza, hommie. glad yer here. -m

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    With Ribs its all about pre-boiling them to get them tender enough to fall off the bones...

You could get killed in Argentina just for saying that. Pre-boiling ribs is consider a low level move.

You could get killed in Argentina just for saying that.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    welcome thuggish! am hearing that you are definately THAT dude. got my BBQ on saturday at a lame ass block party....grilled chicken with bbq sauce, mad lettuce and tomatoes is the SHIT.

- chris

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    welcome thuggish! am hearing that you are definately THAT dude. got my BBQ on saturday at a lame ass block party....grilled chicken with bbq sauce, mad lettuce and tomatoes is the SHIT.

- chris
    shit chris, i THOUGHT i saw you!

Anybody got info on this sauce.............I would like to try.

• Well good lookin out BIG CHAN. I guess to answer the little bit about myself. I been DJin and what not since about 94" kinda of a youngin, and started sneakin in the Art Bar around when I was 18. I like a lot of kinds of music and sound, really don't liked to be boxed in, but def hip-hop like a fisherman cap. Really have found myself moving records back and forth a lot. But just love to get my fingers dirty. Everyday I'm learnin somethin new. I guess I could sum it up like this, to pull into oneself and just try and be able to express feeling, emotion, to enjoy life as art. I was involved with a lil venture named Skratchcast.com , which was fun while it lasted. Probably got at least 5,000 records(2 and half Ikea shelves full, side note they work a lot better than milk crates falling down, of course could be opperator error) so I guess that puts me out of the category of skratch nerd with just battle records. I have been messin with the beats for a few years also. But enough about me, cause it's not that important.

But back to the BBQ, one little trick that my pops taught me is to put some tinfoil down on the grill, keeps the meat from burnin up and keeps the juices in. It's worth a try, you'll see what I'm talkin about. Also if you can come by it, Elk meat is one of my personal favorites. The first time I ate it I remember saying to myself, this is what meat is supposed to taste like. Also you guys are on point about the marinating. IT'S A MUST!!!! Plus the post talking about veggies is cool to cause, I've been to a couple of my Black Tiger brothers BBQ's and them cats five basic food groups is meat, meat, meat, meat, and I almost forgot meat. Got have the veggies.
    One more rather nice treat is BBQ salmon(my uncles are commercial fisherman in Alaska so I kinda got a hook up). Plus check the name, it goes native peeps know a lil somethin bout fish. As far as wait to play. "Sitting in the Park" is a nice start plus I'm a sucker for the stalag riddium. Some LA poppin shit that would get Gangsta Rid movin is real cool fo sho.

So hear is the big question what's the diffrence between a west coast and a east coast BBQ?

Thanks for the warm welcome.

• rkwparkrkwpark 915 Posts
    www.unclefranksbbq.com
    thats all im saying.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts

- chris
    shit chris, i THOUGHT i saw you!

• Options
    One more rather nice treat is BBQ salmon(my uncles are commercial fisherman in Alaska so I kinda got a hook up). Plus check the name, it goes native peeps know a lil somethin bout fish.

What rivers produce the best salmon? I know they sell it according to what river it came from, I was wondering if some were better than others.

If any of you are interested in really hooking up a nice smoker, try one of these joints...

http://www.biggreenegg.com/

The Big Green Egg is seriously not to be fucked with