NFL WEEK 4

Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
A-ight, I went 5-1 last week, let's see how it goes this time...

RAIDERS OVER COWBOYS-[/b] Raiders ain't that bad, Cowboys ain't that good. Simple as that.

BUCCANEERS OVER LIONS-[/b] I really had hopes for the Lions this year, but it looks like this Harrington kid just does not have it. Kevin Jones seems to have regressed, too. Meanwhile, the Bucs look like they might be the real thing. As long as Griese just steers the ship and doesn't try to do too much, Tampa Bay is gonna be playoff bound. Florida is known for their powerhouse college football teams, but right now their pro teams are doing pretty good too (Jacksonville and even the Dolphins are looking kinda legitimate so far this season).

FALCONS OVER VIKINGS-[/b] Minny looked better last week against the Saints than they did in their 1st two games, but they still didn't exactly look like world beaters. The noise in the dome down in Atlanta plus the Falcons' swarming D will cause mad problems for Pep and co. Expect a lot of turnovers from those folls.

TITANS OVER COLTS-[/b] I really shouldn't be picking this game because I didn't see the Colts play last week. But I saw the final score and the stats- not impressive, offensively anyway. Peyton Manning is not clicking with his receivers like he usually does, and a good defensive mind like Jeff Fisher's will exploit Manning's weaknesses (which were already exposed last year by Belicheck and the Patriots). If Tennessee can keep from turning the ball over I'm predicting an upset here.

EAGLES OVER CHIEFS-[/b] Very dangerous pick... everything points to a Chief's victory. McNabb's hurt, Philly just signed some dude off the street to kick for them, etc. But did you see how Denver bent these KC dudes over and sodomized them on national tv last Monday night? Aw, hells no!!! Gotta ride for the hommies on this one.

CHARGERS OVER PATRIOTS-[/b] Beyond dangerous, this one is a downright foolish pick. You don't go against the Pats at home, mane. Especially against a jet-lagged west coast team. Well, I'm gonna do it anyway. I think the Chargers are getting into stride, and the loss of a lot of key players HAS to have an effect on New England at some point, right? Right? Corey Dillon is looking a step slower, too... could be a problem late in the season.

JAGUARS OVER BRONCOS-[/b] I really like Leftwich for the Jags, he is a tough s.o.b. who has that never-say-die attitude that the great ones like Elway and Favre had. Not saying he's on their level yet, but don't sleep- I think he has that kind of potential. The Broncos beat up on KC last week, but they are still frauds in my opinion. I don't like them.

Comments

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I went 5-1

CHARGERS OVER PATRIOTS[/b]

Looks like you're gonna go 6-1 this time, P...
    Chargers look good, but I think Dillon is the one getting into stride - you can't say he's "lost a step" after playing the Panthers & the Steelers...everybody loses a step against those teams. He's been finding the end zone every week while Brady has been unable to get anyone open. Pats are depleted, but that hasn't been a problem over the last few seasons, just par for the course.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    I went 5-1

Chargers look good, but I think Dillon is the one getting into stride - you can't say he's "lost a step" after playing the Panthers & the Steelers...everybody loses a step against those teams. He's been finding the end zone every week while Brady has been unable to get anyone open. Pats are depleted, but that hasn't been a problem over the last few seasons, just par for the course.

Yeah... going against the Pats last week was a mistake and may well be a mistake again this week. I guess I just can't see San Diego at 1-3, I dunno. As far as Dillon, he just looked a little slower to me last week. Everything you're saying is right, though... I think I'm really just a Patriots hater, for real.

• PEKPEK 735 Posts
    These 3 are the ones that I'm not sure about - and not saying you're wrong either Phill -

TITANS OVER COLTS

It's Indianapolis's defence that's been keeping them in games; Manning's stats have been subpar so far, but he's liable to have a breakout game sooner or later - couple that w/ a defence that's beginning to slightly resemble Dungy's stingy outfits in Tampa Bay and I'd hesitate before picking against the Colts...

EAGLES OVER CHIEFS

McNabb's hurt as you mentioned - that right there makes this a dangerous game to choose sides on - Holmes isn't running amok like he's done historically, but I don't lke the fact that Philadelphia's banged up going into this game...

CHARGERS OVER PATRIOTS

This season should really demonstrate once and for all whether or not it's Belichick's methodology/system or the talent he and Scott Pioli acquire to fit his schemes... The Patriots aren't Houdinis casting spells - and w/ Harrison's injury, they're gonna be wobbly on defence some, but they've proved their resiliancy time and time again - remember when Buffalo wiped them out @ the opener last season and everyone was pointing fingers saying releasing Milloy was a bad move? Look @ how the season went subsequently after that loss...

Just my $ 0.02 is all...

• Options
    Brooks Bollinger.

What's with my beloved Jets having all these blueblood quarterback names in their sordid history?? Brooks Bollinger, Chadwick Pennington, Browning Nagle, Richard Todd, Ken O'Brien (actually he sounds like a cop, scratch that), Rick Mirer....why can't we get a quarterback who sounds like a goddamn football player???? Gimme some Kenny Stabler, Troy Aikman....wait forget it, Randall Cunningham was one of my alltime favorties and you don't get a more suit and tie name than that. Forget I even said anything.

And fuck that bullshit about Bollinger wearing the sacred Jets #5...Phill you KNOW how I am about my kickers, how the hell are the Jets letting a third stringer rock Pat Leahy's number??? #5 should be retired, Leahy was a 17 year kicker for one team and leads them in scoring which will never be broken. Don't be handing his #5 to a third stringer. Retire #5, no one will miss it.

Go Jets, sorry Legend but your Ravens are about to get trounced. My boys are angry...even if yours are rested...mine are still angry. Vilma wants to show Lewis he's the second coming...Bollinger has big-game history for Wisconsin in three Rose Bowls...Blaylock is ready to take over from Curtis...it's about to be on.

Damn you EdPowers...2-1 and you get Williams back next week. Going to get interesting down the stretch.

Sween been dranking. Bitches.

Damn you EdPowers...2-1 and you get Williams back next week. Going to get interesting down the stretch.

Yeah, Sween... beware EdPowers' Dolphins. I've been watching their games closely and I know it's still early in the season, but those sea mammals look good. I've said it before, I'll say it again- solid defense, a running game and competent, low turnover rate quarterbacking is the formula for NFL success. The Dolphins have all of that and plus they have big play potential from the wideouts. Gus Ferrote has been doing what's asked of him, and that's all you need to do on that team. Once Ricky gets back the Fins will be hard to stop as long as Ferrote doesn't stink up the joint. Even Junior Seau looks reinvigorated!

Plus I like that new coach... when you've got big 300+ pound men crying like little girls in training camp, you get my respect fa sho.

• PEKPEK 735 Posts

Plus I like that new coach... when you've got big 300+ pound men crying like little girls in training camp, you get my respect fa sho.

Saban's Belichick's old defensive co-ordinator (and fellow Croatian background) back in Cleveland - he really came into his own as head coach @ LSU, taking the Tigers to a split national championship (USC shared the honors that year as well); from all accounts, he's a control freak, but given his pedigree, he's got a better shot @ succeeding in the bigs from the college ranks as opposed to the ole ball coach, Steve Spurrier, and his tenure in DC...

No sensitive Dave Wannstedt BS - who, by the way, isn't doing any better (than his time in Miami) as U Pitt's coach this season - nepotism (vis-a-vis Jimmy Johnson) only can carry you so far...

These 3 are the ones that I'm not sure about - and not saying you're wrong either Phill -

TITANS OVER COLTS

It's Indianapolis's defence that's been keeping them in games; Manning's stats have been subpar so far, but he's liable to have a breakout game sooner or later - couple that w/ a defence that's beginning to slightly resemble Dungy's stingy outfits in Tampa Bay and I'd hesitate before picking against the Colts...

EAGLES OVER CHIEFS

McNabb's hurt as you mentioned - that right there makes this a dangerous game to choose sides on - Holmes isn't running amok like he's done historically, but I don't lke the fact that Philadelphia's banged up going into this game...

CHARGERS OVER PATRIOTS

This season should really demonstrate once and for all whether or not it's Belichick's methodology/system or the talent he and Scott Pioli acquire to fit his schemes... The Patriots aren't Houdinis casting spells - and w/ Harrison's injury, they're gonna be wobbly on defence some, but they've proved their resiliancy time and time again - remember when Buffalo wiped them out @ the opener last season and everyone was pointing fingers saying releasing Milloy was a bad move? Look @ how the season went subsequently after that loss...

Just my $ 0.02 is all...

Those are definitely very questionable picks, but I ain't scurred to venture out on that limb. And if I get them right I look like a football guru! liked the way both the Titans and SD looked last week, so what the hell... it's no fun picking games if you ain't gonna pick a few crazy upsets every now and then. All your points are good ones, though. I wouldn't bet the farm on any of these, plaese believe me.

• EAGLES OVER CHIEFS

he hasnt been running for a couple years now. where do you guys weigh in on the surgery issue? i say go for the surgery and you get mcnice back for the playoffs. too high a chance he's going to get real fucked up in the meantime and we wont have him anyway.

phil, im about to get in these betting pools based on your well researched predictions.

EAGLES OVER CHIEFS

he hasnt been running for a couple years now. where do you guys weigh in on the surgery issue? i say go for the surgery and you get mcnice back for the playoffs. too high a chance he's going to get real fucked up in the meantime and we wont have him anyway.

Nah, no surgery. The Eagles can't (or at least don't) run the ball consistently enough, they rely on the QB position way too much IMO. They can do that with McNabb in there, but with Detmer or McMahon at the helm? They probably won't even make the playoffs, and if so they definitely won't get home field. They say McNabb can't injure it any worse, he'll just be playing in pain, and not necessarily an unbearable kind of pain. Dude is tough, he can take it. Reid just needs to run it more and take a little pressure off of him, that's all.

• Man, what a week:

-New England goes down at home to Chargers 41-17
    -Tampa Bay, Bengals & Redskins all are 4-0
    -"Cadillac" Williams rushes for 13 yds
    -Denver is 3-1
    -Philly getting spanked in K.C.

Now please Packers go in Carolina and beat them tomorrow......I can't believe I just said that. LOL

-Philly getting spanked in K.C.

Not so fast, jazzman21...

WHOO-HAH! Got them Chiefs in check!

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I went 5-1

Ouch. Well, missed seeing this one, but heard enough on the radio in the ride to know that the Pats just could not stop San Diego from scoring, seemingly everytime they had the ball! First half was kind of a fun shootout, second half was an old fashioned ass-whuppin'. Respect to P-M-C for calling this one. There goes the 21 home field win streak...I thought it would take a better team than the Chargers, but I underestimated the weapons that team has on offense...by a mile.

Pats .500 after the first month?

• Cowboys ain't that good. Simple as that.

They don't look that good after four weeks of play. The DEFENSE has really disappointed me. I'm a little late on this thread but I have to give Phill props on that Chargers over Patriots pick because I would have not picked that one. LT ran crazy, and the Chargers abused Harrison's replacement. The Eagles game was impressive...as of right now best AFC team = Colts; NFC = Eagles.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Cowboys ain't that good. Simple as that.

They don't look that good after four weeks of play. The DEFENSE has really disappointed me. I'm a little late on this thread but I have to give Phill props on that Chargers over Patriots pick because I would have not picked that one. LT ran crazy, and the Chargers abused Harrison's replacement. The Eagles game was impressive...as of right now best AFC team = Colts; NFC = Eagles.

colts are suspect until I see peyton step up.

AFC west = best division in football right now?

• Options
    Plaese to post picks next week Phill. I went with your picks and made $350 this week

K in Canada.

as of right now best AFC team = Colts; NFC = Eagles.

Yeah, those were my preseason picks for the Super Bowl. I still don't know about those Colts, though. I'm gonna make a point to force myself to watch the whole Colts / Titans game when the Superfan Shortcut version comes on Direct TV this week, just so I can get a sense of where this team is really at. If the defense is really as good as it seems to be so far this season, and if the offense can play even anywhere close to as good as they were last season, they're gonna be hard to stop in the AFC.

But my Eagles, daaaam... down 17-0 and 24-6 early, yet still come back to DOMINATE the Chiefs? In Kansas City??? My boys have gone to the fa sho! That game yesterday showed me that these folls are finally a championship caliber team, not just a team that's almost good enough. If the gods let Donovan (and all other key players) stay healthy enough to make it through this season, we are gonna finally get those rings, mang.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

You mean the NFC East and NFC South.

Plaese to post picks next week Phill. I went with your picks and made $350 this week

K in Canada.

DAYYUMM!!! I gotta start charging for this football knowledge I'm droppin' so freely!

Just send me your copy of the Trevor Daddy album and I will hook you up with at least 7 winners next week GUARANTEED.

You mean the NFC East and NFC South.

I agree with what you are saying, bellcity1. But I agree with your avatar even more. Reminds me of a talented ex-girlfriend of mine... ah, the sweet memories.

• as of right now best AFC team = Colts; NFC = Eagles.

Yeah, those were my preseason picks for the Super Bowl. I still don't know about those Colts, though. I'm gonna make a point to force myself to watch the whole Colts / Titans game when the Superfan Shortcut version comes on Direct TV this week, just so I can get a sense of where this team is really at. If the defense is really as good as it seems to be so far this season, and if the offense can play even anywhere close to as good as they were last season, they're gonna be hard to stop in the AFC.

But my Eagles, daaaam... down 17-0 and 24-6 early, yet still come back to DOMINATE the Chiefs? In Kansas City??? My boys have gone to the fa sho! That game yesterday showed me that these folls are finally a championship caliber team, not just a team that's almost good enough. If the gods let Donovan (and all other key players) stay healthy enough to make it through this season, we are gonna finally get those rings, mang.

phil, i love the birds...but your enot worried at all about no running game whatsoever? i mean, its not unbalanced,...they NEVER pass!boggles my mind that TO was even getting left open yesterday. but once that offense starts clicking...oh my.
    btw what happend to westbrook yesterday?

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Great quote in the paper today:

"The Chiefs came out and shot their load in the first half. Everything that could happen to us did and they were only up by 11 points. Our offense hadn't even warmed up yet."

Seriously, how did they not put an AYO after that?

phil, i love the birds...but your enot worried at all about no running game whatsoever? i mean, its not unbalanced,...they NEVER pass!boggles my mind that TO was even getting left open yesterday. but once that offense starts clicking...oh my.
    btw what happend to westbrook yesterday?

Naw, that lack of a running game does bother me. I honestly don't believe in Andy Reid's offensive philosophy- it goes against everything that we know about how to play championship football. The thing is, it's only gonna matter once we get to the super bowl. I don't think there's a team in the NFC that can stop the Eagles even if they throw on every down. I worry more about AFC teams like the Steelers and New England, teams that can take over a game with sheer physical dominance.
    I just want to see as this season goes along that the eagles CAN run the ball when they need to. I have serious doubts about the blocking schemes that they're using... something is not right. When you've got big ass dudes like Philly has on the O line they should be able to create some running lanes for Westbrook, but most of the time when he gets the ball in the backfield he has NO PLACE to run to at all.

Bottom line, though- look at the success they've had doing it the way they do it. There is some truth that the short passing attack is pretty much taking the place of a running game. But everytime McNabb drops back to pass, there's more risk that he's gonna get hurt. That's what scares me the most. So I hope they do try to run it more (I doubt that it's gonna happen, though).

As for Westbrook, the Chiefs made it a point to take him out of the game. But when you focus on him, do you see how wide open T.O. and some of the other dudes are? Defensives have to choose their poison, and it's for them no matter how they try to D us up.

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    It never fails to surprise me that such a fat man (Andy Reid) is so pro-passing. I automatically assume all fat coaches are run-centric, but not Andy Reid. It's totally throwing a monkey-wrench in my whole system.

-e

• its not unbalanced,...they NEVER RUN!

When you've got big ass dudes like Philly has on the O line they should be able to create some running lanes for Westbrook, but most of the time when he gets the ball in the backfield he has NO PLACE to run to at all.

thats what fucks me up the most...we have the best line weve had in years. decades. and our backs are getting stoned at the line. im surprsed opposing teams havent been able to take advantage of our lack of running and play the percentages. even at the 1 yead line we couldnt get it in on the ground and had to throw. not to complain...just a little uneasy

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    beware EdPowers' Dolphins.[/b]