wayne shorter - supernova

Skip DrinkwaterSkip Drinkwater 1,694 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
i know i can't be the only one who LOVES this rekkid. "swee-pea" is my sheeit. the whole lp is beautiful and sounds great (though, not a van gelder rec.).

Comments

• RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts
    Listening now... never really gave it a chance though...

• "More Than Human" kills it. Also, listen carefully, towards the end of "Din Dee" the singer (I think it was Maria Booker, but it's from memory) bursts into tears.

However, one of the worst LP covers in my collection.

• However, one of the worst LP covers in my collection.
    i don't think so, it isn't nearly that bad.

i notice this lp gets overlooked a lot though, for some reason. great tunes, great musicians (john mclaughlin & sonny sharrock guitar, miroslav vitous bass, walter booker guitar, airto percussion, jack dejohnette drums, chick corea drums & vibes...), great year for music (1969)

• RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts
    hmmm... "Dindi" is the source of the "Beg No Friends" bassline... never would have known.

• john mclaughlin & sonny sharrock guitar, miroslav vitous bass, walter booker guitar, airto percussion, jack dejohnette drums, chick corea drums & vibes

I've been preaching the virtues of this record for years. The players really make it as Supernova is really the only Wayne Shorter record I've kept over the years. I've enjoyed some others but they never left as serious an impression on me as this one.

Great record that you can usually get for a fair price.

Deep beats and deep crates,
    SonicReducer

• john mclaughlin & sonny sharrock guitar, miroslav vitous bass, walter booker guitar, airto percussion, jack dejohnette drums, chick corea drums & vibes

I've been preaching the virtues of this record for years. The players really make it as Supernova is really the only Wayne Shorter record I've kept over the years. I've enjoyed some others but they never left as serious an impression on me as this one.

Great record that you can usually get for a fair price.

Deep beats and deep crates,
    SonicReducer
    this is all very true. i see it all the time for like 10 bucks.

• listen carefully, towards the end of "Din Dee" the singer (I think it was Maria Booker, but it's from memory) bursts into tears.

yup, with her husband Walter on guitar. one of my favorite moments on this or record.

its 'Dindi'

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    i know i can't be the only one who LOVES this rekkid. "swee-pea" is my sheeit. the whole lp is beautiful and sounds great (though, not a van gelder rec.).

Hey Siro,

I propped that LP on here forever ago. Sometimes, cats front on good records because they're available. Records have to be found buried in with the Ark of the Covenant to catch a buzz

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• Great LP. I'm also into the early 70s elvin jones LPs on blue note. (coalition, polycurrents, uhm one more I think) A bahhgain!

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Great LP. I'm also into the early 70s elvin jones LPs on blue note. (coalition, polycurrents, uhm one more I think) A bahhgain!

I have always liked these too.
    Cosign!

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    (coalition, polycurrents, uhm one more I think) A bahhgain!

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    i like this record too. i might have to pull it out now. i also really like odyssey of iska

• Great LP. I'm also into the early 70s elvin jones LPs on blue note. (coalition, polycurrents, uhm one more I think) A bahhgain!

dude, i luh those rekkids. polycurrents is incredible. joe farrell for days, batches! and elvin's wife tamiko wrote a couple real nice tunes on those.

i like this record too. i might have to pull it out now. i also really like odyssey of iska
    that one's lovely too. also "moto grosso frio" (sp?) on blue note. it was released in '73 on the oft overlooked blue and black label, but was actually recorded in '69 or '70 i think. great music. i see that sheit for under 10 all the time, and it seems like no one bothers picking it up. wayne shorter is THAT DUDE.

• Options
    Great LP. I'm also into the early 70s elvin jones LPs on blue note. (coalition, polycurrents, uhm one more I think) A bahhgain!

dude, i luh those rekkids. polycurrents is incredible. joe farrell for days, batches! and elvin's wife tamiko wrote a couple real nice tunes on those.

that one's lovely too. also "moto grosso frio" (sp?) on blue note. it was released in '73 on the oft overlooked blue and black label, but was actually recorded in '69 or '70 i think. great music. i see that sheit for under 10 all the time, and it seems like no one bothers picking it up. wayne shorter is THAT DUDE.

His solo's (actually everyone's solos) on this lp are

K.

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    my favorite Wayne Shorter shit is on this.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Sometimes, cats front on good records because they're available. Records have to be found buried in with the Ark of the Covenant to catch a buzz

Truth.

I like those late 60s/early 70s Wayne Shorter and Elvin Jones LPs too. Now here comes a late pass question: Elvin was married to Tamiko Jones? How come i never even made that connection? Doh!

I'll just return to my cryogenic state of unawareness. Wifey got the pancakes and eggs ready now. Good Morning to you all!

• Sometimes, cats front on good records because they're available. Records have to be found buried in with the Ark of the Covenant to catch a buzz

Truth.

I like those late 60s/early 70s Wayne Shorter and Elvin Jones LPs too. Now here comes a late pass question: Elvin was married to Tamiko Jones? How come i never even made that connection? Doh!

I'll just return to my cryogenic state of unawareness. Wifey got the pancakes and eggs ready now. Good Morning to you all!

i'm pretty sure Elvin's wife's name is Keiko

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    polycurrents is incredible. joe farrell for days, batches! and elvin's wife tamiko wrote a couple real nice tunes on those.

i'm pretty sure Elvin's wife's name is Keiko

OK, whichiswhoandwhoiswhat?

This (Tamiko):

or that (girl next to Elvin - Keiko?):

You had me for a minute. Keiko it is then

• Elvin met Keiko in japan and they stayed together until he passed. Supposedly she had a lot of influence on his early 70s stuff like polycurrents.

• my mistake... why did i say tamiko?