djing with dvds (dvdjs)

keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
edited September 2005 in Strut Central
Does anyone have any experience with this? Over the summer I was at a club in Scottsdale and caught someone doing this and it looked pretty corny. But apparently some very good djs are taking this shit Check http://www.mikerelm.com/downloads/index.shtml and click on the video for "twist". This dude isn't really flexing his skills so much in this video, but you can see where the potential is.I would definitely pay to go see one of these shows.

Comments

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    DJing with the Pioneer DVDJ is the shit. I got a chance to use them in Cincinatti couple of months ago. Legit as fuck.

I would get one but they're like 3 grand.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I just checked that video and it's pretty corny.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,901 Posts

I would get one but they're like 3 grand.

Fucking technology is movin so quick tho... Shit will be outdate soon.

Wuts next? HD-CDVD? BlueRay-CDVD???

I saw them used at a DMC lastyear. Scratching DVD's Lawd, I'm thinkin weak... Where is this all headed?

• Yeah, your dude was ill, on selection alone even. I want these things.

• A number of people have used videos as part of their sets, and I've been wanting to pick up something myself. Are there any other video demos similar to the link above?

• I just checked that video and it's pretty corny.

THe song is corny, but the concept isn't. Aren't most djs who use dvdj using them to mix music videos... which is ok, but not that creative, and extremely limiting.

This dude is mixing in different songs to go on beat with movie scenes.

• I just checked that video and it's pretty corny.

THe song is corny, but the concept isn't. Aren't most djs who use dvdj using them to mix music videos... which is ok, but not that creative, and extremely limiting.

This dude is mixing in different songs to go on beat with movie scenes.

See, that's how I WOULDN'T do it, who is to say if that mix was pre-recorded or not? All one has to do is know the tempo of the original song, make a megamix on the side, replace the new audio with the old, and boom. That's not innovative, but for those who don't know how to put that together, it might *look* great.

Are there any other DVD DJ examples out there? If this is the limit that people have put on the table, then I hope someone steps out of the boundaires.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    I just checked that video and it's pretty corny.

hahahaha you mean

I just checked that video dude and it's he's pretty corny.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    these will be the market standard soon...

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    that video goes to show all the tech in the universe can't make up for taste/knowledge.

87 casio beats over imagine. whoopdie fucking doo.

• these will be the market standard soon...

Yep, which of course means every mastered, remastered, deluxe edition DVD will be re-done yet again in high definition, although full seasons of television shows would be able to fit on one disc if done at the standard rates.

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts
    i played a gig with mike relm in may and got to see him flex his skills on the dvj. dude can do some crazy shit, not to mention he can scratch his ass off. it's definitely some ish for sure.