Sun Ra price cheque

luckluck 4,077 Posts
edited September 2005 in Strut Central
Really? I got this on the Bay a year-and-a half ago for $20 and thought (at the time) that I might have paid a tad much.

Comments

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Seems a bit silly, but it is Atomic. Great record though!

• Generally $30-$50. Would be cool to hear it on a quadrophonic system..

• Generally $30-$50. Would be cool to hear it on a quadrophonic system...

... in bongolia

• i thought you were bringing up the copy of lanquidity that just went for 548!

that's never been higher than a 150 dollar record until last week. one went for 272 about a week ago and i thought that was high.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    i thought you were bringing up the copy of lanquidity that just went for 548!

that's never been higher than a 150 dollar record until last week. one went for 272 about a week ago and i thought that was high.

The very reason why reissues are made. Thank God for that.

• awallawall 673 Posts
    who's got THIS:

sun ra w/pharoah sanders. on saturn.

Was that the OG version or the rare-as-hens-teeth different mix version?

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    i thought you were bringing up the copy of lanquidity that just went for 548!

is this 'different mix' version the one with the paste-on cover?

I think confusion between reissues & OG's causes Sun Ra ebay prices to be unpredictable - too many shady sellers are selling reissues & being purposely vague about what pressing etc.

---

• There's a version of Lanquidity with (supposedly) a totally different mix and some material that didn't make it to the better known version. I'm not kidding; I think DJ Friendly just sold one for over ??400.

is this 'different mix' version the one with the paste-on cover?

I think confusion between reissues & OG's causes Sun Ra ebay prices to be unpredictable - too many shady sellers are selling reissues & being purposely vague about what pressing etc.

---

i know anthony pearson sold one for 150 a couple years ago so i'm not sure.

i'd like to know more about this alternate pressing. what is the differences in the record looks ? is there any ?

• blank label, I think. has the pasted on pic on the cover as well. not sure if it came out with the metal cover.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    this is dan90059's picture from the floss thread. is that the alternate one underneath that airport record?

• blank label, I think. has the pasted on pic on the cover as well. not sure if it came out with the metal cover.

i don't think that was the one that went for 548 since that one was metallic. maybe though who knows, i don't have a shot of owning either so it doesn't really matter.

• this is dan90059's picture from the floss thread. is that the alternate one underneath that airport record?

Dunno...mine looks like this:

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Price checks and pressings aside- I must've heard at least 30 Sun Ra albums in my lifetime and Lanquidity is still my fave.

• One of my all-time favorites, too

I have a copy of the Philly Jazz promo paste-on with a blank label. Is that the one? I also have the regular issue. Which songs are different?

• Twin Stars Of Thence and some other track.

• Yeah - that's the one with the alternate versions. The tracks are mixed differently and one track is 3 minutes longer. None of the tracks were recorded in international airport restrooms.