Clyde Alexander and Sanction

MorseCodeMorseCode 1,516 Posts
edited September 2005 in Strut Central
I heard "Got to Get Your Love," and I'm probably late on this, but dayum that shit is fly! What's the story with this, why is it so much better than the version on the Chocolate Star EP, and is Clyde Alexander the man behind the Chocolate Star stuff? Outta DC right?

Comments

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    Once upon a time this guy released a 12". You will never own it. The end.

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    And that was my 500th, which is about how much the last one on eBay went for.

• Good luck!!! I've come to grips with only owning the boot of the Chocolate Star EP... I'd get used to that if I were you

Banging track no doubt. Anyone here got it?

DJ Ferrari

• Thanks K!

• Once upon a time this guy released a 12". You will never own it. The end.

IM SAYIN AARON HOW CAN I BE DOWN WITH YOUR FUNKY FRESH STYLE???!!!!

• AaronAaron 977 Posts

P.S. I had 2 copies. I will always have one.

Didn't you say you're getting buried with your one copy?

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    Once upon a time this guy released a 12". You will never own it. The end.

IM SAYIN AARON HOW CAN I BE DOWN WITH YOUR FUNKY FRESH STYLE???!!!!

Gimme a "Got to Get Your Love" 12" and you have a deal.

• Okay so I just pulled out the Chocolate Star EP reish, and what I'm asking is, whats up with the different versions? The Clyde Alexander version is SO much more bangin!

• Options

P.S. I had 2 copies. I will always have one.

My casket rolls deep.

K.

• P.S. I had 2 copies. I will always have one.

My casket rolls deep.

K.

hey kevin who are you leaving your record collection to when you die ?

please say me.

• I think lotusland had clutch of the chocolate star eps.

• Options
    Think Jeff Overton has some as well. THat "The Pop" 12 inch is where it's at.

K in Canada.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    THat "The Pop" 12 inch is where it's at.

Yeah, that's a good one.

It may help the less-monied to know that the two cuts that comprise the most bugged side of that twelve ("Space Walking" and "Walking In Space") are also available in their entirety on the consistently cheaper "On Center Stage" twelve. True you'll miss out on "The Pop" and "The Pop" rap, but I don't know that either is all that essential; the mix of "The Pop" varies only slightly (if at all--I forget) from that on the reissue e.p., and "The Pop" rap--while not without its charm--suffers from a Jam-Pony-esque muffling of the track to make way for said "rap." For those looking for a step up from the reissue but a step down from the pricier stuff, "Center Stage" might be the move.

It may help the more-monied to know that Nick The Record has that Clyde Alexander for something like $450US. Put your quarter up.

p.s.: It should be noted that the micro-/headphone stylings of a certain Distinguished Collector of funk 45s sound exactly--exactly--like The Professor. "Tha Pah-fessa's hyeahhhhh to jam witchoo!"

• Okay so I just pulled out the Chocolate Star EP reish, and what I'm asking is, whats up with the different versions? The Clyde Alexander version is SO much more bangin!

i hear you. the difference is simple. assuming you're comparing re-issues here (choco ep & the vertige "clyde alexander" pressing)

the chocolate star ep version is a different take, different band, whole enchilada is different. no comparison. side note: and the choco star reissue isn't sounding as good as the original (even the OG press version of "gotta get your love" isn't djable)

also, the vertige pressing of clyde alexander's version is mixed and edited by kenny dope, so of course it will bang on any system after he touches it.

HELP K! what is the difference between the vertige pressing and the og pressing of the clyde alexander version???

NEXT: to make matters more confusing, kenny dope just did a re-edit of the gary davis version of "gotta get your love" overdone by now? perhaps. that said, the original isn't djable so i guess this had to go down.

• Speaking of which

Jacki O Chocolate Sugar Walls remix.

i did this a minute ago. vinyl soon come (fingers crossed).

• Options

HELP K! what is the difference between the vertige pressing and the og pressing of the clyde alexander version???

I've never sat down and compared the two. I'll ask Dimitri.

K.

• or you could just mail me your double of the record.

• Think Jeff Overton has some as well.

• Options
    That may very well have happened...had I not traded it for records and cash already. Don't know if I have any Alexander karma left, but if I do....

K.

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    Update: This has been reissued.

• MorseCodeMorseCode 1,516 Posts
    yessir, copped the P&P joint last week.

• MorseCodeMorseCode 1,516 Posts
    Speaking of which

Jacki O Chocolate Sugar Walls remix.

i did this a minute ago. vinyl soon come (fingers crossed).

hawt fiyah!

The hommie VinSol has an OG of the Chocolate Star EP. It does sound better than the boot.