Big Dude??? Hip-Hop Collectors

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited September 2005 in Record Collecting
Just an idle thought but who likely has the illest collections of hip-hop in America? And how many pieces would that comprise?I raise this only because we sort of "know" who the big funk dudes are out there: Keb, Josh, Ian, etc. but as in this current craze over rap collections, who've been the BDs all along?

Comments

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Just an idle thought but who likely has the illest collections of hip-hop in America? And how many pieces would that comprise?

I raise this only because we sort of "know" who the big funk dudes are out there: Keb, Josh, Ian, etc. but as in this current craze over rap collections, who've been the BDs all along?

Rob from TSL would be one. Chris from spine would be pretty deep. Ivory, too.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Just an idle thought but who likely has the illest collections of hip-hop in America? And how many pieces would that comprise?

I raise this only because we sort of "know" who the big funk dudes are out there: Keb, Josh, Ian, etc. but as in this current craze over rap collections, who've been the BDs all along?

By Keb do you mean Keb Darge? And Haz do you mean Ivory from the P Brothers? Both these guys are in England right? Oliver, your question was who has the biggest Hip-Hop collection in America right? Meaning just the U.S. or North America, U.S. and Canada? Plaese to clarify.

Thank you

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Quality vs. Quantity ???

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Yeah, I'm curious about collectors in the U.S. (even if they aren't necessarily American by nationality. There's definitely some Huge Dude Japanese collectors in the U.S.)

Off the top of my head, I'd think Freddy Fresh, Cash Money, Biz Markie, Shadow and others would have pretty killer hip-hop collections.

Looks like Tony D did until he started selling it off, ha.

• Judging from my experience selling my own record to people, some of the biggest collectors are probably people that are not known by the general public.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

By Keb do you mean Keb Darge? And Haz do you mean Ivory from the P Brothers? Both these guys are in England right? Oliver, your question was who has the biggest Hip-Hop collection in America right?

Oh! I saw Keb's name & started thinking about international folls. Rob would still qualify, i guess. There've got to be dudes on this board with some big rap collections.

• cascas 1,484 Posts
    theres a guy in northern va called sureshotlarock who my #1 shitstain, tdawg tells me has massive amounts of heavy duty hip hop records...doubles and triples even. i think he may lurk on here. he used to be active on vinylexchange.

Judging from my experience selling my own record to people, some of the biggest collectors are probably people that are not known by the general public.

Fascinating. So who are these folks (this goes back to my "who spends $500 on a rap record" question). Are they just hardcore collectors? DJs on the low?

• Judging from my experience selling my own record to people, some of the biggest collectors are probably people that are not known by the general public.

Ya there are some die hard collectors out there. I sold a guy what I thought was an original records and he responded "It is a late 90's reissue, I can tell by the smell and feel of the vinyl that it's not OG." and commenced to tell me how much a die hard collector he was.

• Isn't his collection sonnin' everybody's? That's what I've heard, at least. Now...

CAS: TELL YOUR BIZ STORY.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Yeah, I'm curious about collectors in the U.S. (even if they aren't necessarily American by nationality. There's definitely some Huge Dude Japanese collectors in the U.S.)

Off the top of my head, I'd think Freddy Fresh, Cash Money, Biz Markie, Shadow and others would have pretty killer hip-hop collections.

Just spoke to Ca$h yesterday and that foll has SERIOUS Hip-Hop records and he is not selling any of em. Biz also has a CRAZY collection. It would be fun to hear those to argue about who has more Hip-Hop records. K-Prince in the Bronx is the Japanese cat I know with major Hip-Hop records. I would think that Chairman Mao has a serious collection as well. Mao, plaese to post some pictures of your Hip-Hop collection.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Judging from my experience selling my own record to people, some of the biggest collectors are probably people that are not known by the general public.

I'm sure lots of folks with crazy collections keep it on the DL. I don't think they spin - dudes like this who I know are retired DJs' or just really love the music/culture.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Quality vs. Quantity ???

• who my #1 shitstain[/b],

who does number 2 work for

• meshmesh 925 Posts
    tdawg

!!!

yeah man, i bet t is lurkin on this post right here. whats up tdawg!!!

• Just spoke to Ca$h yesterday and that foll has SERIOUS Hip-Hop records and he is not selling any of em. Biz also has a CRAZY collection. It would be fun to hear those to argue about who has more GOOD[/b] Hip-Hop records.

Seems to me anyone can have quantity of anything, but it's all about quality

• cascas 1,484 Posts

alrighy then...

nothing too fancy pants. a few years back a friend of friend gets a gig djing a party with biz as the headliner. my friends friend brings his tables and new mixer. biz gets on to do his set and as he spins he commences to eat one of those big boxes of mcdonald chicken mcnuggets. i think like the 20 piece party boxes or some shit. anyway at the end of the night the mixer knobs and face plate were completely covered in mcnugget grease.

I hear Mao only owns two crates of records. He keeps 'em under the sink, next to the kitty litter.

I think Biz might have four.

Just spoke to Ca$h yesterday and that foll has SERIOUS Hip-Hop records and he is not selling any of em. Biz also has a CRAZY collection. It would be fun to hear those to argue about who has more Hip-Hop records. K-Prince in the Bronx is the Japanese cat I know with major Hip-Hop records. I would think that Chairman Mao has a serious collection as well. Mao, plaese to post some pictures of your Hip-Hop collection.

• CAS: TELL YOUR BIZ STORY.

alrighy then...

nothing too fancy pants. a few years back a friend of friend gets a gig djing a party with biz as the headliner. my friends friend brings his tables and new mixer. biz gets on to do his set and as he spins he commences to eat one of those big boxes of mcdonald chicken mcnuggets. i think like the 20 piece party boxes or some shit. anyway at the end of the night the mixer knobs and face plate were completely covered in mcnugget grease.

this made me laugh out loud, I can totally see this happening.

Biz used to shop all the time at this store up in MD from me. Bought hip hop in serious quantities and sometimes had foodstains on his shirt.

• cascas 1,484 Posts
    haha! they should do a limited edition reissue of the biz doll complete with mcnugget accessory pack and food stained tshirt and jeans.

shit. throw in the cti briefcase thing too.

• OK - so lets see some serious hip hop collections then....

RD

I was talking this over with a friend earlier, who knows a lot of the cats mentioned already, and his observation is that a lot of rap collectors have insane crates in specific GEOGRAPHIC regions, but there may not be a lot of people who have everything covered, across the board. For example, I'm sure Shadow has some kick ass rap records but I hear he's not as complete on East Coast random rap stuff as folks like, say, K-Prince. Likewise those, a lot of the NY set might have every hip-hop 12" to ever come out of the Tri-State but may not have any of the West Coast gangsta ill shit that someone like Shadow and others would be more up on (Josh Bea - I see you!)

Who's holding the Midwest down? Or the South?

• cascas 1,484 Posts
    what? who in the south has the most extensive southern records? are we talking about all around collections or just regionalized shit? i'm confused as a motherfucker.

• theres a guy in northern va called sureshotlarock who my #1 shitstain, tdawg tells me has massive amounts of heavy duty hip hop records...doubles and triples even. i think he may lurk on here. he used to be active on vinylexchange.

yeah, i know sureshot has alot of rare early hip hop 12's...and a good collection of early 90's promo only's....i supplied a few joints to his collection.

but....my vote for illest hip hop collection if he kept most all of it over the years would be Kool Dj Red Alert. He was buying the 1st rap records back then, was in the biggest record pool back then and started receiving radio promo's in like 82/83.....so based on that....its Red aka Bum

• a lot of rap collectors have insane crates in specific GEOGRAPHIC regions

Yay Areeeaaaaaa!!!!!

But to be fair, B.Cousin reps several geographic regions very nicely.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    I think that dude Russel Gonzalez from the K-Otix in Houston would have a tasty collection... dude was killin' it on ebay back in the late 90s...

peace.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

alrighy then...

i'm no vegan, but reading this made me want to throw up.

• I was talking this over with a friend earlier, who knows a lot of the cats mentioned already, and his observation is that a lot of rap collectors have insane crates in specific GEOGRAPHIC regions, but there may not be a lot of people who have everything covered, across the board. For example, I'm sure Shadow has some kick ass rap records but I hear he's not as complete on East Coast random rap stuff as folks like, say, K-Prince. Likewise those, a lot of the NY set might have every hip-hop 12" to ever come out of the Tri-State but may not have any of the West Coast gangsta ill shit that someone like Shadow and others would be more up on (Josh Bea - I see you!)

Who's holding the Midwest down? Or the South?

I would think that would change the thread to who's holding it down in your town on the hip-hop tip, right?
    I also agree that I bet most of the heavy hip-hop dudes won't be well-known, outside of their area.

Could we get examples of a serious hip-hop collection?

• I think that dude Russel Gonzalez from the K-Otix in Houston would have a tasty collection... dude was killin' it on ebay back in the late 90s...

peace.

i remember that dude but blanked on his ebay name.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    tdawg

!!!
    whats up tdawg!!!