45 labels

idraltidralt 12 Posts
edited September 2005 in Strut Central
I'm wondering what some good 45 labels are to look for...when it comes to LPs, I know labels and artists to look for and I know what a lot of the covers of records I'm looking for look like...but I go to this one record spot and dude has thousands upon thousands of 45s and I don't know much about good labels and rare labels to look for...and it's one of those places where you KNOW there is some good rare stuff just waiting to be dug up...so anybody got any recommendations of labels (and perhaps label scans for visual support)...I'll be going back to this place Saturday morning and I'm hopng to pick up some major 45s...thanks in advance

Comments

• The great thing about 45's is that there are so many labels, so adapt your album mentality and adapt that a bit while looking for 45's. I am sure the SS brethren (and sisteren) will post now and start you on your adventure.

• somebody mentioned something about galaxy...I heard they have good records and to keep an eye out for that label...anybody got any other recommendations?

• The thing is there's an almost infinite number of labels and 45s out there. I've been into soul and funk 45s heavily for a couple years and I still know very very little about what there is to be known. But that's what makes it fun. As to what to look for, it just depends on what kind of music you're into and whether you're just looking for your own collection or for stuff to resell. I'd say bring a portable if you can and listen to anything that looks interesting. After a while you'll get a feel for what kind of visual clues to look for.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Chances are if this spot is in the US its probably been hit by collectors already, but yeah borrow a portable if you don't have one

• There are good artists and songs on major labels as well as local labels, private press labels and the like. There are no set numbers of these as more are continually dug up. There're a million avenues for locating them. I suggest checking out 45 compilations of a certain type of music, look for other things by those artists or research who they worked with, and go from there.

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    somebody mentioned something about galaxy...I heard they have good records and to keep an eye out for that label...anybody got any other recommendations?

galaxy is a great one. it seems to be a pretty rare thing for a 45 label to be highly consistent (at least 45 labels with at least 25 releases or so). there are some that might be obvious ones, but are pretty solid:

People, Brownstone, King (JB produced), Scram, Seven B, Seventy-Seven, Rampart, Gordo, Okeh (from high 7200s on), Riverside, Roxbury, Cadet & Cadet Concept, Sansu, Invictus, Westbound, Eastbound, Shout, Phil-L.A. of Soul, Majesty, Double Shot, Sansu, Jasman, Neb's, Toddlin Town, Twilight/Twinight, Audio Arts, Zodiac.

That's just a handful. There are hundreds or thousands of small labels that have a couple of ridiculously awesome 45s (like SoulTex), but I don't know a lot about those. I'm mostly a lil-mid dude in the 45s. but hopefully this'll get you started.

• Chances are if this spot is in the US its probably been hit by collectors already, but yeah borrow a portable if you don't have one

Chances are there is still stuff there that you might want collectros might have taken the rears but there could still be some good music you don't have yet.

• I should mention here that just because a label is known for soul or funk, that doesn't mean they didn't release other kinds of music. I figured I'd mention that in case you buy a single on King (home of James Brown) that turns out to be country & western.

Chances are if this spot is in the US its probably been hit by collectors already, but yeah borrow a portable if you don't have one

Chances are there is still stuff there that you might want collectros might have taken the rears but there could still be some good music you don't have yet.

that's what i'm saying. there are spots that have been declared "dry" but still have hundreds of mint otis redding, rufus thomas, and early kool & the gang 45s.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

that's what i'm saying. there are spots that have been declared "dry" but still have hundreds of mint otis redding, rufus thomas, and early kool & the gang 45s.

Hey, I never said don't check it out... I'm just saying, dude expects raer and is likely to be dissappointed... NEVER EXPECT RAER

• Chances are if this spot is in the US its probably been hit by collectors already, but yeah borrow a portable if you don't have one

Hey, I never said don't check it out... I'm just saying, dude expects raer and is likely to be dissappointed... NEVER EXPECT RAER

I didn't think you ment that I just didn't want dude thinking it was a waste of time to go check it out.

NEVER EXPECT RAER
    NEVER EXPECT RAER
    NEVER EXPECT RAER
    NEVER EXPECT RAER
    NEVER EXPECT RAER
    NEVER EXPECT RAER
    NEVER EXPECT RAER
    NEVER EXPECT RAER

a good point. and a good mindset to have. of course, one person's common is another person's raer sometimes. usually one of those people is wrong though.

• NEVER EXPECT RAER

• mylatency: I actually asked the same question at the-breaks.com...I figured since the breaks is more of a sample-based forum with people who know records vs here where I think of it as a record-knowledge based forum with people who know samples, I'd ask here...regardless, thanks for taking the time to post your lame ass response

to everyone else: thanks for your help...I don't expect rare at this place, I'm sure it's been dug by thousands of people...I basically consider it dry from an LP standpoint because I've dug that place to shit, but he keeps bringing new stuff in and buying new collections on set days so I check out his recent pick-ups...the 45 thing is something I've always wanted to get into but always knew so little and I guess that's what sort of kept me away, regardless, I'll take all of your advice...I have a handytrax and I got all day Saturday..I'll let you all know if I find some good stuff

The 45 game is not easy. I'm a visual person, so I know this first hand. Follow everybody else's advice and you'll be fine. You have a world of knowledge on this board and with the Internet, just give it some time.

I didn't think my post was that lame, hah. Bring a portable and pig out.

• one person's common is another person's raer sometimes. usually one of those people is wrong though.

not really - record collecting is regional, so at least half the commons and raers are gonna shift up as you go from place to place.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Don't forget the Fame (Ala.) and Alston (Fla.) labels. Both come very easily and cheaply, and the music quality is very high. You just can't go wrong with these imprints, especially with certain periods in their existence. Capitol- or Atco-distributed Fame (look for the "Dist. by XXX" line around the rim) and Alston, pre-1975 (Green/Red/Brown&OrangeStriped) are both unassailable fire.

These labels are a good place to start for newer collectors. Hell, I'm still trying to complete my collections.

• You just can't go wrong with these imprints, especially with certain periods in their existence. Capitol- or Atco-distributed Fame

Fame was also distributed by Vee Jay and United Artists, and and you can't go wrong there either (Clarence Carter and his ex-wife Candi Staton cut some incredible sides for the UA-period Fame).

• I'm wondering what some good 45 labels are to look for...when it comes to LPs, I know labels and artists to look for and I know what a lot of the covers of records I'm looking for look like...but I go to this one record spot and dude has thousands upon thousands of 45s and I don't know much about good labels and rare labels to look for...and it's one of those places where you KNOW there is some good rare stuff just waiting to be dug up...so anybody got any recommendations of labels (and perhaps label scans for visual support)...I'll be going back to this place Saturday morning and I'm hopng to pick up some major 45s...thanks in advance

if you need visuals feel free to check out some of my label scans on my pics page...

http://djbluewater.com/pics/bluewater/

the previously mentioned label names are definitely ones to look out for, but at least u can see what some of them look like first.

oh and yes ill repeat the "never expect raer" line as well.