MPC HELP (REPAIR? BAY AREA???!??! DIRE STRAITS!)

Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
edited September 2005 in Strut Central
dudes:My MPC has been on the fritz for a minute (I have to keep jingling the master volume knob just it can play out of both chanels). It's even affecting how the "loudness" when I sample into the machine. Anyone know a place in the Bay where I can get it fixed I don't want to send this shit to Akai because:1). They take forever 2). Many people have told me of shit coming back worse or all fucked up.I'm almost desperate. I'mma start sounding like Freeway and Young Jeezy in a few.

Comments

• Leo's in the east bay--not cheap, but they fixed up my 3K proper.

http://www.leosaudio.com/

• MoSSMoSS 458 Posts
    If you got some balls try opening up yourself. I'm no expert by any means, but I replaced my LCD screen, upgraded my memory, replaced my buttons and fixed the headphone out by myself. I'm not even well versed in that kind of shit...actually I'm not versed at all. I had to buy a soldering gun that morning. lol. The only thing I'll warn you about is if you do try this, make sure you're careful of the screen on the non-xl version when lifting the top off. It's stuck with some type of glue or double sided tape. You need to be careful not to rip the cabling. Don't get me wrong, it's not fragile...hell...I didn't know it was there and I'm not light on the hands by any means and mine was fine...but I'd hate for that to happen

Of course, don't blame me if something goes wrong...lol. In all honesty however the inside of the MPC is pretty straight forward. It's really no different (actually less) than a PC.

Parts are cheap too. I replaced *ALL* my buttons for $3.40. My headphone out cost me $1.80...and my LCD was under $100. I bet that would have been $500+ in parts and labour if Akai did it....

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    If you decide to open it up, I would advise getting an anti-static wrist band. They are well worth the $5 investment. In case you dont know. They diffuse any static electricity that you have. If you were to touch the circuit board without one (and you were charged up), it could be a disaster.

• dudes:

My MPC has been on the fritz for a minute (I have to keep jingling the master volume knob just it can play out of both chanels). It's even affecting how the "loudness" when I sample into the machine.

Anyone know a place in the Bay where I can get it fixed

I don't want to send this shit to Akai because:

1). They take forever

2). Many people have told me of shit coming back worse or all fucked up.

I'm almost desperate. I'mma start sounding like Freeway and Young Jeezy in a few.

lol what a || () () |3 bird call

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Stupid question, but have you checked your cables yet?

My pads are fucked on my MPC and I'll probably never get it fixed since no one repairs that shit here and shipping + repair costs will be too much.

• any mpc problems send it here. Its the authorized mpc repair center for the us.
    http://www.vstservice.com/
    $65 an hour but they are quick. Ive had a few akai rack samplers and a dps 12 repaired there. Thats real close though to you. Im out here in PA, so i got killed on the shipping. My mpc though hasent had any problems.

Oh and to the cat with the pad problems, are just a few pads off? like not triggering or triggering funny? take the mpc apart and plug the ribbon cable next to the pads in more. Ive heard of this happen to like 5 or 6 people and they all did that and it works. Just from moving it around or whatever, it can get loose.

• i just reread your problem, but can you describe it better. What it sounds like now is try new cable, but it might be a problem with the gain pot. try postubg over at www.mpc-forums.com to see if anyone has had similar issues.