The Equals

Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
edited September 2005 in Strut Central
I celebrate their entire catalog.Peace, 'check...

Comments

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I covet their entire catalog.

• I have/had three of their records over the past couple months... "Baby Come Back" went home with me... "Equals Supreme" is in the shop now, this later one on Ice label I had for maybe a day and it sold. All were dope in their own way.

Never seem to find them clean.

If you don't have it, get the "Black Skin Blue Eyed Boys" 45 on Shout. Best thing I own by them. A spot around here had stock of them - if I find one I can pull it for you.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    , this later one on Ice label I had for maybe a day and it sold. All were dope in their own way.

Never seem to find them clean.

mystic sister?

i really have a jones for "stand up and be counted", which is their LP from the "black skinned blue eyed boys" era.. supposed to be a fuzzed up funky/pysch/proto-disco thing, like "get into something" by the isleys...

the ST4 version of "black skinned" kills the Equals version instrumentally, hard as fuck, but the vox aren't doing it... the equals singer is great...

my fav equals song is "i can see but you don't know"...

• Options
    Eddie is dude. Be it influence or material, it was always class. You guys ever heard the female boogie cut on Ice? There's also some killer Eddie-related 45's from the early 70's that would tickle the fancy of the deep funk/afro crowd.

Have sealed copies of Mystic Sister if anyone for whomever needs one.

Kevin in Canada.

• My co-DJ Midnite Cowbwoy has been making it somewhat of a mission to play almost every Equals 45 ever made at the height of dancefloor action at our SOLID! soul parties this past year. I don't mind though - they're all fucking amazing. Plus, his Equals-mania has resulted in him trading me a spare copy of their uptempo scorcher / local crowd favorite / Clash-covered "Police On My Back" for a spare copy of Gene Faith's "Family Man" I found at the flea for twenty cents.

uptempo scorcher / local crowd favorite / Clash-covered "Police On My Back"

Do you pitch up on that? It has an odd tempo for dancing.

I'm partial to the "Softly, Softly" b/w "Lonely Rita" 2-sider, if only because it's the first thing I ever found by them, and it had my face pulling a Colonel Dietrich...

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Damn, I didn't think anyone else rated this band at all, I have a few of the early Parlophone 45s & really like them. They don't get credited as much as they should, at a push you could even call them forerunners of the whole racially mixed 2-Tone scene?? Cool band for sure.

• uptempo scorcher / local crowd favorite / Clash-covered "Police On My Back"

Do you pitch up on that? It has an odd tempo for dancing.

I'm not sure if Cowbwoy pitches it up but that 4-on-top beat definitely gets the floor going.

I'm partial to the "Softly, Softly" b/w "Lonely Rita" 2-sider

Yep, Cowbwoy plays that A-side a lot, too and it goes over great with the crowd here. Dunno if I've heard the flip.

• word up. that "fat city strut" track is fucking off the chain.

• Equals may be the great underrated UK band of the 60's. 'My Life Ain't Easy' is the shit, and then some.

Also see...

The Guy Who Made Her A Star

Soul Brother Clifford

Police On My Back

Baby Come Back

etc etc etc etc .....

Eddy Grant's blonde afro is

• CLabCLab 76 Posts
    Map of Africa do a fucking amazing cover of "black skinned blue eyed boys".

• Map of Africa do a fucking amazing cover of "black skinned blue eyed boys".

completely disagree, but to each thier own...

• It's a low-down dirty shame they never made it to the Nuggets II box. "I Can See But You Don't Know" is surprisingly late (1970) for a freakbeat tune, but my-oh-my do they ever hold their own with the Small Faces, Creation, etc.. Eddy Grant (the band's main composer, if not the only one) tried on different styles like most people try on clothes! Listen to "Be My Baby Tonight," where it sounds like they're taking the piss out of the Troggs!

How is that Born Ya album? I've been afraid to pick it up, for fear that they may have lost focus after Eddy left (even though Eddy wasn't the lead singer)...

• I like this track.

• The only cover of "Black-Skinned Blue-Eyed Boys" I've heard is by Titanic (it sucks). I haven't heard any others, but I suspect "BSBEB" is one of those unfuckwitable songs like "Soul Makossa." Everybody may have taken a shot at that song at some point, but NO Faux Makossa I've heard tops Manu Dibango's original, and the same just may go for the Equals.

• CLabCLab 76 Posts
    Map of Africa - Black Skinned Blue Eyed Boys

i respectfully disagree to agree with Mssrs. Donger

• hah i just bought that cover version 12"

somebody post the original. battle!

• I like this track.

that's the one meant (not "fat city strut). Shit is ridic.

• Obviously, great songs mentioned already but nobody has mentioned "Skies Above" yet? That's probably my favorite. It's just too damn short.

• Options
    The only cover of "Black-Skinned Blue-Eyed Boys" I've heard is by Titanic (it sucks). I haven't heard any others, but I suspect "BSBEB" is one of those unfuckwitable songs like "Soul Makossa." Everybody may have taken a shot at that song at some point, but NO Faux Makossa I've heard tops Manu Dibango's original, and the same just may go for the Equals.

K in Canada.

• wow...that's the derrick harriot right k? killer!

i recently picked up the Frontline Orchestra "Don't turn your back" 12" on Ice records, killer eddy grant disco funk tune...both sides are great.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    Map of Africa do a fucking amazing cover of "black skinned blue eyed boys".

completely disagree, but to each thier own...

i'd have to agree, kind of sluggish, like the tempo lenny kravitz would use if he covered it... the feedback was nice, but besides that the OG destroys it... congas, baby, congas...

i also have to big up "green light" by the equals as being the song that got be hooked on them and one that will destroy dancefloors at any sort of mod/soul night...

• Options
    Patrick,

Keep you eye out for Bluewave Orchestra's "She's No Good" on Ice. Nice booogie-ish 12.

Kevin.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    Donger

have to dissagree that map of africa is eminantly spinable.

not that it will ever show up here though