eBay and Seller Overdraft Charges?

drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
edited September 2005 in Strut Central
So, I had an old debit card set up for automatic payment of my seller fees. The only reason I still use the thing is for misc take-out meals or whatever at the end of the month if I'm running low. Anyway, I just got an e-mail from eBay saying:

We are writing to alert you that your monthly eBay seller fees have not been paid because credit/debit card declined eBay's attempt to automatically deduct the amount due.

I rush to see if I got hit with an overdraft fee...but everything appears to be fine on my statement, and there's as much (or little) $ as I remember being in there when I checked last week.

Then I read farther down in the e-mail:

As a courtesy,[/b] eBay will automatically make a second attempt to charge your card. This attempt will take place in about 3 to 7 days.

I ended giving them my updated card information so I won't have this problem again, but does this mean that I won't get an overdraft charge?

If so, that just made my day.

Anybody else had this experience? What can you bring me?

Comments

• Check the xp date on the debit card. I've had similar things happen when cards expired and I didn't change my billing info...

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    I think you should be fine drewn, check with your Bank, too.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Check the xp date on the debit card. I've had similar things happen when cards expired and I didn't change my billing info...

The card is valid thru '06. But, I haven't put anything on it since May and thought I transfered all of my automatic payments to my new card/account. Hoping for the best on this one. Overdraft charges are

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    Man, I'm going through some serious b.s. right now because of a similar situation and I have $100's in overdraft fees as we speak!

• Man, I'm going through some serious b.s. right now because of a similar situation and I have $100's in overdraft fees as we speak!

What's overdraft?

• Anybody else had this experience? What can you bring me?

Typically overdraft charges don't apply to declined charges. There's any number of reasons why your card was declined. Your bank may have thought that it was an unusually large charge, maybe they declined it as a precaution or maybe it was declined simply because there wasn't enough money in your account. Banks all differ but I've never heard of nor experienced any fees from having my debit card declined.

• Man, I'm going through some serious b.s. right now because of a similar situation and I have $100's in overdraft fees as we speak!

What's overdraft?

Overdraft Fee: The fee incurred when you use more money than is in your bank account.

Man, I'm going through some serious b.s. right now because of a similar situation and I have $100's in overdraft fees as we speak!

What's overdraft?

"What did Junebug die from??"

IMG SRC="http://www.justfabulousgroup.com/Images/IMG3537SlickRick.jpg" width=300>

"Overgold.[/b]"

(I always wanted to say that - name that movie)

Thanks for the info and support, ya'll!

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts

you sure it wasn't one of those scam e-mails?

Yes, quite sure. I didn't respond to the e-mail, but went directly to my eBay account information and could clearly see what the problem was.

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts

Yes, quite sure. I didn't respond to the e-mail, but went directly to my eBay account information and could clearly see what the problem was.

that's good. just checkin. i almost fell for one of those about a year ago (the first one i got).

• autezautez 404 Posts
    my roomate overdrafted his account a while back and still hasnt paid it off. he says its up to like 400 bucks and he doesnt have the money to pay it off. anyone know if there's a way to stop it from increasing? this dude is dumb, spending all his money on weed and not paying off what he owes.

• my roomate overdrafted his account a while back and still hasnt paid it off. he says its up to like 400 bucks and he doesnt have the money to pay it off. anyone know if there's a way to stop it from increasing? this dude is dumb, spending all his money on weed and not paying off what he owes.

It will only increase as new charges hit the account. He doesn't want it to increase then he shouldn't be using it.

• autezautez 404 Posts
    my roomate overdrafted his account a while back and still hasnt paid it off. he says its up to like 400 bucks and he doesnt have the money to pay it off. anyone know if there's a way to stop it from increasing? this dude is dumb, spending all his money on weed and not paying off what he owes.

It will only increase as new charges hit the account. He doesn't want it to increase then he shouldn't be using it.
    nah im pretty sure he told me theyre increasing it because he's not paying it off. either that or i misheard him and he's REALLY stupid.