gettin them old drum sounds

The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
edited September 2005 in Strut Central
I was always of the opinon that no matter how hard you try, you would never be able to fully recreate classic drum sounds due to various reasons: mikes, recording equipment, the fact that old drum heads were made out of different material...but I just got the Dungen "ta det lungt" 2LP in the mail today, I'll be damned...if they didnt recreate the Pugh drum sound to a fuggin T..that big cavernous kick, dry ass snare..its all there. Now someone recreate Zigaboo's snare por favor.

Comments

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    yes! everything you just said - yes! i am hoping for the same or better in the live setting.

• my girl and I want to go to NYC to see the show, but it looks like her schoolwork and our combined finances arent going to be able to make this happen

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    that dungen record is such a wholesale recreation of pugh its just outright lame. how can you get jazzed about something so transparently aping anther artist / era?

dude does not live in 1968...

• Its all about getting nice room tone.. Maybe use 1 mic on the kick and 2 overheads, and then one room mic, compressed and mixed in for flavor.. Definite case of "less is more."

Was kinda surprised to find out dude tracks everything to Cubase??

to actually answer the question about how to get thsoe old drum sounds.. and why do they sound so good.

i dont think it has anything to do with the drums themselves... most peeps i know play on vintage gear whether its guitars or drums.

The production techniques are all well documented.. plenty of studios are kitted out with vintage components, peeps still use most of the same classic peaces of kit they had "back in the day".

i think the big differance is nowadays you have this intentional referancing of other recordings.. dudes set out trying to get "THAT SOUND" ... there's a big big differance between having the drummer from pugh sit downn behind the kit in that room and DAMN that's just the way dude sounds... as oppossed to setting up the gear, tweaking it, checking back to the record and trying to get a record to sound like that.

i dont think cats back in the day were as concerned with making their shit sound like somebody elses... they had a sound / style and the recording engineer for the most part tries to record it as best as possible.

you could have bonhams kit settup in abba's studio with the exact board and outboard gear / mics but you could never get it to sound ANYTHING like bonham..

people need to spend more time developing what musical character THEY have as oppossed to trying to emulate what doesnt come naturally.

• that dungen record is such a wholesale recreation of pugh its just outright lame. how can you get jazzed about something so transparently aping anther artist / era?

dude does not live in 1968...

it is so much more psychedelic than Pugh though, they are more of psych band, not a pop band of the era, like Pugh...

...I also go apeshit for the Dap Kings.

hey to each his own.. i listen to stuff like this and it gives me the same feeling as going to one of those pioneer villages where peeps wear wool underwear all summer long and guys named Jebadiah whittle corncob pipes for $5 a pop.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    "Om du vore en vakthund" is a dope cut.

Is ebay the best place to get this album?

• HamHam 872 Posts
    that's janne "loffe" carlsson on that pugh record, same guy who played drums on the doris record, did you give the world some love today baby...one of my favourite swedish drummers...a little off topic but

• yeah, stonerrock.com had them but sold out, there are only 500 copies on vinyl...I got a "buy it now" one off of ebay.

yeah, stonerrock.com had them but sold out, there are only 500 copies on vinyl...I got a "buy it now" one off of ebay.

Thanks. IMHO this lp is . "Festival" is my shit.