Mac Help in SF (How Do I Record Vinyl?)

jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
edited September 2005 in Strut Central
im damn ignorant (in many ways) when it comes to computers and the whole technology thing, so thats why im writing.if someone in the Bay Area (who can make it to my crib) can help me work this shit out id be grateful. what do i need? SHIT I DONT KNOW?!?! i have some silver iBook thing ... you know i dont know what kind of computer this is. im a loserHELP!

Comments

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    Do you DJ as well? My ideal "cost-effective" set up would be pro-tools with an M-Box...the MBox connects to your stereo amplifier and then sends the audio signal to pro-tools...there you can edit and manipulate the quality of the recording to your liking. Jinx, I live in the East Bay and would be happy to help you out. PM
    gNAT

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    no i dont dj... and i have no idea what you mean in your post. really computer stuff is like HUH? to me...

i want to be able to record my records and put them onto a CD. thats it. no djing purposes, no super hi-tech recording shit, just:

vinyl - cd

thanks!

ill PM you but i dont know what i would write besides what i wrote here... do i have to buy something to do this? i have a CD burner from the wifes brother and thats about it... i think?

• there is a solid program that is downloadable called "peak" really easy to use once you download it. your computer should have an audio in on the back panel. just run a line in and open up peak and start recording. i hope this makes sense.

good luck!

• ScottScott 420 Posts
    Do you have your turntable hooked up to standard home receiver? If so, use the tape "line out" output of the receiver as input to your computer.

You shouldn't have to buy anything more than a RCA chord. I'm a PC user, so I'm not sure what Mac sound cards are like.

If you need more info, shoot a PM.

• asparagusasparagus Northampton, MA 333 Posts
    "peak"/quote]

turntable (audio out) -==------1/8"stereo-mini-cable---------==- Mac (audio in port)

• "peak"/quote]

turntable (audio out) -==------1/8"stereo-mini-cable---------==- Mac (audio in port)

I'd use Sound Studio instead of peak. Get one of them 1/8' stereo mini cables and use the rec out on your mixer to go right into the mac. Should work no problem.

PM me if you still need someone to come by. Wouldn't be til later in the day/evening though.

• I use Sound Studio which saves in .aif format. Then I convert to mp3 with iTunes. Easy!

if someone in the Bay Area (who can make it to my crib) can help me work this shit out id be grateful.

thanks for your suggestions but i really dont know what you guys wrote back to me... i really am sorry for the ignorance.

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts

if someone in the Bay Area (who can make it to my crib) can help me work this shit out id be grateful.

thanks for your suggestions but i really dont know what you guys wrote back to me... i really am sorry for the ignorance.

check them pms

TT > Mixer > RCA/Headphone jack > Laptop > Soundstudio > CD

is this right?

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts
    TT > Mixer > RCA/Headphone jack > Laptop > Soundstudio > CD

is this right?

check them pms

• I should get home 6:30 or 7. Serg can drive me over if you still need help then. I wanna see your crib anyways.

In the meantime, download Sound Studio: http://www.felttip.com/products/soundstudio/

You can burn the files you save with Sound Studio right onto CD.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,890 Posts
    You could use Audacity also. It is free and works alright. After you have a .wav file recorded you can encode it to mp3 using the LAME encoder that is available for download from the same page.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/mac

• Audio X is something that makes it really easy to record once you have the cables... go to versiontracker.com and search. Bookmark that site because it's the onestop shop for all macintosh software.

Then get peak like the other dude said and you can use that to cut it up.

I should get home 6:30 or 7. Serg can drive me over if you still need help then. I wanna see your crib anyways.

yeah... i have to look at a collection sometime after 6pm but ill holler at you when im done and see what youre doing.

• Hey Justin, you can just send me the record and I'll send you back a CD... I do this for folks all the time...

Hey Justin, you can just send me the record and I'll send you back a CD... I do this for folks all the time...

DOPE! its on the first pony express headed directly for your store...

• I should get home 6:30 or 7. Serg can drive me over if you still need help then. I wanna see your crib anyways.

yeah... i have to look at a collection sometime after 6pm but ill holler at you when im done and see what youre doing.
    We can bring some beer. What's for dinner?

• I use Sound Studio which saves in .aif format. Then I convert to mp3 with iTunes. Easy!

you can also use Garageband as it comes with iLife on all Macs.

I should get home 6:30 or 7. Serg can drive me over if you still need help then. I wanna see your crib anyways.

We can bring some beer. What's for dinner?

hmmm... dinner? let me see whats up...