what is your favorite artist releasing 7"s ?

spcspc 534 Posts
edited September 2005 in Strut Central
what is your favorite artist releasing funky 7"s, like breakestra or something?Mine would be Groop, the "moonbase omega" 7" nearly killed me, I love that 7"!

Comments

• ^^ Yeah that's cool, but about 4/5 yrs old now..?

The Blaxploitation.com guys label, Licorice Soul just released this incredible 45...
    PROUD MARY - Follow Me/Steal Me. I'd like the whole album if poss. Dreamy summery folk/funk.
    http://www.licoricesoul.com/snd/lsd009/lsd009-followme.mp3
    http://www.licoricesoul.com/snd/lsd009/lsd009-stealme.mp3

But artistwise, I like UK funk group Speedometer's 6 or so 7"s. Especially their version of Beyonce's 'Work it Out'.

• spcspc 534 Posts
    Yeah, Speedometer is also mad nice.

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts
    i really like capri's "car chase on phoenix avenue", lovely blaxploitation vibes on that one! and this is not a 45, but keystones the bloods haul ep released on now again is killer. gritty drums. i heard malcom catto is now drumming for qso? im looking forward to new qso stuff thanks to him.

havent heard the groop 7" tho, can i peep soundclips somewhere? couldnt find any on jazzmans site. havent heard everything from his label, but my favourite from the things ive heard is by far the soul destroyers.

• I'd like the whole album if poss.

hm...i remember seeing a record by a group called Proud Mary on the bay last month, some guy in Switzerland if I remember correctly offered it, saying the usual bout mad breaks on it and stuff to excuse a high min bid price

but unfortunatly I haven't kept the link to the auction, and the normal search in ended aux didn't bring it up no more

on the 7" tip: I hope that today I go to my record dealer to get that beautiful Tiombe Lockhart "Mr. Johnny Walker" on Giant Step, which I heard in some mix and since then it's my fav 7" these days even if it's not in my hands yet

• i really like capri's "car chase on phoenix avenue", lovely blaxploitation vibes on that one! and this is not a 45, but keystones the bloods haul ep released on now again is killer. gritty drums. i heard malcom catto is now drumming for qso? im looking forward to new qso stuff thanks to him.

That Keystones EP is off the hook. With QSO? Hope he comes with them next month. I'm playing at the QSO show in Syd. Last time they came, only Will & Alice were QSO originals, the rest were made up of local boys, The Bamboos.

The last QSO album came out in May, so maybe Catto is part of Will Holland's new label Magnetic Fields, which has just released 2 awesome 7"s. One by the Karachi Prison Band & another by The Sophistications. I'm sure it's the QSO lads having a laugh, not some long lost raers as they are trying to imply. Ha!

Here's the Groop - 'Moonbase Alpha' for you. In full. 192kbps.
    It was nearby, so I just recorded it.
    http://s23.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=28ARYMN12S5SF095UFK7PRUA3F

• Sick bro...sickness. But who on here wouldn't have it eh...

Aussie lads just put their 2nd 45 out...

• ^^ Yeah that's cool, but about 4/5 yrs old now..?

The Blaxploitation.com guys label, Licorice Soul just released this incredible 45...
    PROUD MARY - Follow Me/Steal Me. I'd like the whole album if poss. Dreamy summery folk/funk.
    http://www.licoricesoul.com/snd/lsd009/lsd009-followme.mp3
    http://www.licoricesoul.com/snd/lsd009/lsd009-stealme.mp3

I've had the album for a little over two years. It's very good. Great cover of House of the Rising Sun, and some solid, solid originals. It's on the Evasion label, which is Swiss I believe. I've seen it on lists for as high as 300 British pounds.

• spcspc 534 Posts

The last QSO album came out in May, so maybe Catto is part of Will Holland's new label Magnetic Fields, which has just released 2 awesome 7"s. One by the Karachi Prison Band & another by The Sophistications.

I just ordered those two 7". Are this new recordings or re-issues of 60s/70s songs?

• The last QSO album came out in May, so maybe Catto is part of Will Holland's new label Magnetic Fields, which has just released 2 awesome 7"s. One by the Karachi Prison Band & another by The Sophistications.

I just ordered those two 7". Are this new recordings or re-issues of 60s/70s songs?

from WILL HOLLAND:
    ???I just want to produce rawer dub sounding stuff, trying to do some deeper sound which got an experimental angle. People come to expect something from QSO, and I???m happy to supply that, but on the other hand I want to experiment a bit more as well - which probably isn???t commercially viable. That???s why we???ll be doing seven inches to start off with, mainly just small runs, just going to keep them limited if that progresses then we'll be looking on to CDs. So keep your eyes open to that one. I???ve got three 45s planned, mainly instrumental. It???s just a try-out. We???ll see how the reactions are.???

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    Ako!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• natural self

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    burn all small hole 45s, I like 'm big.

• I don't know if I have a favorite artist, but Makers last 45 (maybe not his last, meaty on the flip) has to be one of my favorite most recent releases. Holler at that rain damage.