Floss Your Acetates

GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
edited September 2005 in Strut Central
this post was inspired by TheOnes pyramid of acetates from the other floss thread

Heres an acetate of pre-LP session by afrofunk drummer Rim Kwaku Obeng.

Songs:
1Be Yourself
2.Sukwa (Life First)
3. Rim Obeng Special
4. Keep on Brushing[/b]

Most peole know him from his 1980 release "Rim Arrives"

The cover of the LP is a letter trying to get dude signed the picture is pretty unclear but the last paragraph reads like this

"Unfortunately, we could only finance four demo songs not in final mix form. We have chosen seven more written after the four you have which are much stronger. Because of Rim's total talent, even with a band, the production cost for the first album will be under $14,000"

Here is another one from the compton based group Masterfleet, best known for thier Sussex release

The acetate was recorded in '74 for the A&M Label (Sussex was owned by them). I'm fairly certain this album wasn't released. Its a nice funky and sometimes soulful sound thats pretty heavy on the synths in a good way. Why they never put this out I just don't know

Songs:
1. Think I'm Gonna Make It
2. Must I Be Forgotten
3. Theres No Need To Worry
4. Funk City[/b]

Comments

• em-pae-thrae?

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    em-pae-thrae?

I'll record both acetates onto MP3 sometime in the near future, meanwhile I want to see what other acetates others got

• I have a Dorothy Ashby "Jazz Harpist" acetate that I'll probably ebay in the coming weeks

I have a 10" acetate of "Melting Pot" that an NY dj made for himself back in the day (I think Jinx has another copy of the same 10" from the same DJ).

Nice to hear "Melting Pot" all loud like that, but otherwise kind of useless (not like you can really get much play-out-ness from an acetate).

• cornball

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

• cornball

See that, raise you one set of Lee press-ons.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts

I have a 10" acetate of "Melting Pot" that an NY dj made for himself back in the day (I think Jinx has another copy of the same 10" from the same DJ).

Nice to hear "Melting Pot" all loud like that, but otherwise kind of useless (not like you can really get much play-out-ness from an acetate).

i've seen 7" acetates of melting pot. i have a 7" for TSOP and have seen them for a handful of other funk/proto disco tracks... never seen a 10" tho.

any ID on the label?

• Here's one I have, for the Family (released on North Bay)

• I have a 10" acetate of "Melting Pot" that an NY dj made for himself back in the day (I think Jinx has another copy of the same 10" from the same DJ).

i've seen 7" acetates of melting pot. i have a 7" for TSOP and have seen them for a handful of other funk/proto disco tracks... never seen a 10" tho.

any ID on the label?

It was made at a dub plate spot. I assume that the DJ made them himself - they have his name (typed) on the label, along with the track info.

• Here is another one from the compton based group Masterfleet, best known for thier Sussex release

The acetate was recorded in '74 for the A&M Label (Sussex was owned by them). I'm fairly certain this album wasn't released. Its a nice funky and sometimes soulful sound thats pretty heavy on the synths in a good way. Why they never put this out I just don't know

Songs:
    1. Think I'm Gonna Make It
    2. Must I Be Forgotten
    3. Theres No Need To Worry
    4. Funk City[/b]

Masterfleet, another one of those groups that came and went in the 70's. My dad knew the Rice twins of this group, they went to Cal State Long Beach together. The album has some cool harmonies and funk to it. Damn, I wouldn't mind getting that A&M one though.

• Sorry no pics.
    I got the Bar-Kays "Shake Your Rump To The Funk" acetate, a Sam Phillips female Sun acetate, and some unknown blues acetate...it sounds like some raer shit.

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    Yeah I dont have pics either. Ones that I can remember....

-One-sided mid 70s unreleased funk 45 from a Detroit band. 'rat race'

-Highschool(sounding) 45 with 2 cuts:'daddy rollin stone' & '?' both instrumentals.

-DJ Shadow 'monosylabik' 12" (I know what you are thinking: 'they made a 1,000 of these'. Wrong. This is one of 10, an actual metal acetate with coating. It also came with a letter from the promo director from island records.

-Ike and Tina 'bold soul sister' 45. This isnt an acetate but a test pressing on Blue Thumb. It is intersting because it was pressed on vinyl, werent the 45s on styrine?

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    You all with the exclusives really need to be getting that shit preserved (at least) and, if worthy, released

Hell it sounds like the dudes on this site alone could put together a comp of all unreleased 70s soul...

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

Hell it sounds like the dudes on this site alone could put together a comp of all unreleased 70s soul...

great idea and I'd be more than down, but I can imagine this may get pricey. I know A&M isn't going to just go ahead and let me release this Masterfleet stuff for cheap. and I think Rim may want some dough too.

If someone knows how to make this work let me know and I'm game

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts

great idea and I'd be more than down, but I can imagine this may get pricey. I know A&M isn't going to just go ahead and let me release this Masterfleet stuff for cheap. and I think Rim may want some dough too.

If someone knows how to make this work let me know and I'm game

Just change the name of the band/songs. It's a shiesty move, but it works. Im not suggesting that as a solution, ...sayin though.

• chrischris 287 Posts
    -Ike and Tina 'bold soul sister' 45. This isnt an acetate but a test pressing on Blue Thumb. It is intersting because it was pressed on vinyl, werent the 45s on styrene?

there is both vinyl and styrene presses of that 45.