Chi-Ali - Let The Horns Blow PROMO OG CHECK

ArtifactorArtifactor 887 Posts
edited September 2005 in Strut Central
Anybody know how to tell the difference between an OG Let The Horns Blow and a repress.

Comments

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    well, for one, it should be the bside to "funky lemonade" and that came as a pic cover on relativity i believe. nothing in the runout groove,

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    looks like you have the right one to me.......the promo is ghetto looking but it has an untrimmed version of let the horns blow. I think the pic cover one cuts off fashion's verse. Plus I don't think they've booted the promo, just the domestic pic cover one. The promo is of course the more valuable one.

R(scribbled out)PROLP 0169 A F/L MTS

that's the runout on my copy.

• looks like you have the right one to me.......the promo is ghetto looking but it has an untrimmed version of let the horns blow. I think the pic cover one cuts off fashion's verse. Plus I don't think they've booted the promo, just the domestic pic cover one. The promo is of course the more valuable one.

R(scribbled out)PROLP 0169 A F/L MTS

that's the runout on my copy.

You just made my fuckin' day Aser. FUCK YA. OG BABY.

Came in this LOT of records. BEST BUY EVER...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4760854012&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1

Also in it was a James Brown - Sho Is Funky Down Here OG NM, Aint It Funky, Reality and way too many more stuff.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    well chuffed mate! haha

here's what spinemag wrote aboot it in their rarities section....

A weird rarity here... This almost bootleg-looking promo is only slightly different from the commercially released version of this record - but aside from lacking a picture cover, there are a couple of extra treats on here that will interest collectors.
    Chi-Ali, apart from now being one of 'America's Most Wanted' for murdering a man for $300, was one of the few child MCs to actually make some good records. His squeaky voice was made tolerable due to the fact that The Beatnuts produced all his material on his album ('The Fabulous Chi-Ali', released back in '91) - and you'll notice some tracks were recorded before his voice broke and some after!

On the regular twelve, you get four tracks: 'Let The Horns Blow' (the radio edit), 'Let The Horns Blow' (instrumental), 'Funky Lemonade' (remix) and 'Funky Lemonade' (remix instrumental). This '92 promo differs in that you get exactly the same tracks as that - plus the LP version of 'Let The Horns Blow', swear words and all, and the original mix of 'Funky Lemonade' (also from the LP). You'll immediately notice that the LP version of 'Funky Lemonade' was recorded pre-puberty and the remix was recorded afterwards: the vocal tones are completely different!
    So, what else is there here? Well on the radio edit of 'Let The Horns Blow', there is a verse missing from the original version - they damn well took Kool Fash (b.k.a. Al Tariq these days) from The Beatnuts off! His verse was the originator of the tongue-twisting style that Das EFX and others soon bit afterwards - Fash addressed those guys in subsequent Beatnuts tracks, such as 'Third Of The Trio' and 'No Equal' ("Punk niggas wanna test me - But that tiggedy-tiggedy tongue-twistin' shit don't impress me...").
    The LP version of 'Let The Horns Blow' is almost a full minute longer than the commercially released single, because of this extra verse.

If you want a good pressing of the full original mix of 'Let The Horns Blow', Kool Fash and all, then you need this single! One of the rarer Relativity promos, this usually changes hands for $60+

obviously the price quote was during the 90's hiphop collector boom of a few years back, so adjust accordingly. Either way, still one of the best records of that era.