This weeks UK Finds

llmod1llmod1 317 Posts
edited September 2005 in Strut Central
Had an amazing week this week. Found two items that have been on my wants for around 10 years for no where near the money they go for on the Bay. The following 9 were found in two record shops, one record fair and at Charity Shops.Shop FindsStanton Davis Ghetto Mysticism - Brighter Days - Outrageous RecordsWas happy to find this in a central London shop for a nice price. Features some great funky spiritual jazz a la Strata East. Difficult to pick out a standout track but Space a Nova is beautiful.The Al Tanner Quintet - Takin' Care of Business - Touche Records This has been on my wants list ever since the track Kuba appeared on one of Luv and Haight's compilations. This has been a bitch to track down due to the fact that it was apparently only sold at the bands gigs. If you're in to modal jazz then this is for you. This was again a bargain price!The Chosen Few - Hit After Hit - TrojanI first heard of this band after one of their tracks appeared on a funky reggae comp a few years back. This LP is a mix of funky reggae and soulful vocals. The bands choise of covers is spot on with great versions of Shaft, People Make the World go Round, Melting Pot and Do Your Thing. Now to find their Live in Miami LP.John Fiddy - Plastic Posicle - IntersoundI know John Fiddy mainly for his library work, I'm assuming that this is a commercial release of one of his library LP's. The LP is a mix of funky disco(ish) electronica. There are a couple of interesting tracks but nothing too Earth shattering.Yoruba Singers - Fighting For Survival - IntercultureThis was obviously one of those occassions when Mr Record Shop Owner didn't know what to do with this LP so put it in his racks for pittance. Great! The LP is chocked full of funky Island sounding tracks inc the apptly named "Drums Make the World Go Round!"Record FairWent last weekend to a local record fair that I haven't been to for probably 5 years due to it being crap in the past. Not quite so crap this time1619 Bad Ass Band - ST - TSG RecordsThis is the second LP that has been on my wants list for ever. I'd actually given up ever finding one due to the huge sums of money that this goes for on Ebay when it rarely turns up. And there it is sitting in a box of crap for less than a tenner. This is the orginal issue of the LP (there is a later issue with a different sleeve.) Every track on here is excellent. Funky, Funky, Funky. Eugene McDaniels - Headless Hereos of the Apocolypse - AtlanticIn the next box I looked in I found this. This is the original UK release of this classic, much sampled LP. Jagger the Dagger never fails to get my head nodding and my girlfriend leaving the room. She hates this which makes me think that it must be even better than I realise.CharitiesFound about 50 LP's in various places this week but I won't inflict them all upon you this week.Avon Cities Live in London - Bristol Fashion - UPCThis is the fouth LP I've found by these West Country jazzers in recent years. Most of this LP is pretty dull but they do produce a great version of Norwegien Wood. And the covers spiffing aswell!Harry Stoneham - I Feel Good I Feel Funky - EMII've had a copy of this LP for years now but this is the first one I've seen in the wild for at least 5 years now so I thought it deserved inclusion based on that. Definitely Harry's funkiest outing with covers of James Brown, Booker T and loads more. And yes, this is a spare!!I've got photos to add but I think they're going to be way too big as they still hadn't downloaded after a lengthy wait. They are in my Kodak easy Share folder. Anyone tell me how to reduce them in size please??

Comments

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    cheers, great finds

• Jagger the Dagger never fails to get my head nodding and my girlfriend leaving the room. She hates this which makes me think that it must be even better than I realise.

My ex always got annoyed by certain ez funk tracks that I loved and she hated - your latter statement seems to ring true at times... go figure. BTW, I had a Yoruba Singers 45 a while, but traded it - interesting funky ethno-folk...