University Of McCoy Tyner in session

DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
edited September 2005 in Strut Central
I have always really admired the beautiful percussive sound of McCoy Tyner on Coltrane's early 60 classics (My Favorite Things, Ole, Africa Brass, Love Supreme). Is there more than those four that I should check out? I found several of his early to mid-70s recordings today and they were very disappointing, way too noodling for my blood. I need some science on this matter. What McCoy Tyner sounds should I be listening to if I dig Equinox (which I only know through Best of Coltrane)?

Comments

• well 1st of all, yes. if you're diggin the Coltrane Quartet there's no reason to stop at four arbitrary titles. all the stuff on Impulse is life-affirming.
    You also need "Real McCoy" on Blue Note, and vital non-Trane sideman appearances like Joe Henderson's "Inner Urge" and Wayne Shorter's "Juju" (all these feature Elvin Jones as well).

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Thanks for the heads up.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    well 1st of all, yes. if you're diggin the Coltrane Quartet there's no reason to stop at four arbitrary titles. all the stuff on Impulse is life-affirming.
    You also need "Real McCoy" on Blue Note, and vital non-Trane sideman appearances like Joe Henderson's "Inner Urge" and Wayne Shorter's "Juju" (all these feature Elvin Jones as well).

I highly reccomend Tyner's 2LP set Blue Note released of unreleased sessions called "Cosmos", from around his 'Tender Moments' period. Beautiful stuff.

I also recommend the BN LP he did with Andrew White, 'Assante'.