Betty LaVette on David Letterman

luckluck 4,077 Posts
edited September 2005 in Strut Central
Ah, the importance of a voice.The importance of a slow-cooked vamp that DOESN'T open up.The importance of honesty in music.Just my thoughts here. I might be speaking for more than just myself.

Comments

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Nice.

Give it up to Paul Schaeffer, man. He's one down ass dude.

• Is this on tonight?

• coselmedcoselmed 1,114 Posts
    I'm curious about her new CD, "I've Got My Own Hell To Raise"...Has anyone heard it?

• Is this on tonight?

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    Nice.

totally true... he may play up the nerd/cornball thing, but dude could sit down and play library with anyone here

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Nice.

totally true... he may play up the nerd/cornball thing, but dude could sit down and play library with anyone here

I remember when Tribe was on Late Night years ago and Paul went into this whole diatribe about "this cool thing these kids are doing these days called sampling" and whatnot. He then had the original Average White Band horn section come out and join his band to back Tribe doing a live version of "Check the Rhyme."

Plus he wrote "It's Raining Men"

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Is this on the internet?

• I'm curious about her new CD, "I've Got My Own Hell To Raise"...Has anyone heard it?

I've only heard a couple of cuts, but it seemed like it was a weird, but well-arranged bunch of covers and her voice still kicks ass. Her version of "Only Time Will Tell Me" is not as good as the Joy of Cooking original, though.

• Paul Schaeffer may play up the nerd/cornball thing, but dude could sit down and play library with anyone here

Somehow I doubt it...I recall seeing an interview with Paul from '87 or '88 where he was talking about how, growing up in Canada in the sixties, he used to pick up transmissions of US soul stations...he then went on to say something like: he didn't know who did it, but the song "Eight Men, Four Women" shook him to his core...Paul should have known that that was O.V. Wright's song...I wouldn't expect Joe Average to know that, but Paul the Soul Fanatic definitely should have been hip to this fact. O.V. was a legend in his field; "Eight Men" isn't exactly a "raer" that only collectors would know.

• I'm curious about her new CD, "I've Got My Own Hell To Raise"...Has anyone heard it?

I've only heard a couple of cuts, but it seemed like it was a weird, but well-arranged bunch of covers

...all written or cowritten by female writers, I guess to keep the female P.O.V. intact.

and her voice still kicks ass.

I like this new album of hers - it's a bit rockish, sorta like Tina Turner post-Ike, but a bit grittier than that.

HEY, LUCK (OR ANYONE ELSE IN CHICAGO READING THIS): YOU GOING TO SEE HER TONIGHT AT THE HOUSE OF BLUES? [/b]

• Plus he wrote "It's Raining Men"

I think you mean Paul Jabara

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    HEY, LUCK (OR ANYONE ELSE IN CHICAGO READING THIS): YOU GOING TO SEE HER TONIGHT AT THE HOUSE OF BLUES? [/b]

Nah - I've got other plans. At least I saw her (you were there, too) opening up for Howard Tate.

Plus, you know, it's at the House of Blues. Ethical dilemma every time.