Who's tuning in to see DYLAN on PBS tonight

asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
edited September 2005 in Strut Central
http://www.pbs.org/wnet/americanmasters/dylan/2 part jumpoff directed by Scorsese

Comments

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    boo! I thought you were talking about THE REAL DYLAN

ahem...I mean, DIE-LAWN.

My wife is all into Dylan so I'll let her know - thanks for posting this.

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    Required Viewing for everybody, no?

• No doubt. I was going to mention this on the folk thread.
    Vol 6 of the Bootleg series, Live 1964: Concert at the Philharmonic Hall is still
    available on triple vinyl. I imagine vinyl for Vol 7 from the documentary should be
    along soon.

• dayday 9,611 Posts

I like a few of his songs but I'm not super crazy about him. Blasphemy, I know.

His lyrics are but it's mostly the voice (I can't get with).

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

I rented the DVD already.
    This is a really great treat if you are a Dylan nut like me. The '66 shows w/ the Hawks/The Band are really

And never have I seen Dylan so comprehensible and articulate when talking and answering questions, telling stories.

Watch this.

• Required Viewing for everybody, no?

I rented the DVD already.
    This is a really great treat if you are a Dylan nut like me. The '66 shows w/ the Hawks/The Band are really

And never have I seen Dylan so comprehensible and articulate when talking and answering questions, telling stories.

Watch this.

I regret not picking up the vinyl of this when it was around.

• I'm tuning in to see ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT, PRISON BREAK, and FUNKY GUZZO tonight

• I went to the LA premiere and have to say I was floored by it. Dylan was a funny, wise-ass kid in the early 60s.

This is a must see.

• thats weird there's a dope dylan docu on the bbc down in the UK on right now. some nice ginsberg footage on there too, I met him once he was cool

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Rockist

Just kidding. I grew up listening to Dylan--big favorite of my Dad's. This is almost enough to make me wish I had a TV. Gonna have to try to rent it.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    I'm tuning in to see ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT, S>PRISON BREAK/S> VH1 Rap Award Show Thing, and FUNKY GUZZO tonight

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    boo! I thought you were talking about THE REAL DYLAN

ahem...I mean, DIE-LAWN.

When you think of the five greatest MCs of all time you think of:

Die-lawn...

Die-lawn...

Die-lawn...

Die-lawn...

and...

Die-lawn.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    thats weird there's a dope dylan docu on the bbc down in the UK on right now. some nice ginsberg footage on there too, I met him once he was cool

It sounds like the same film. Lot's of Ginsberg and folks like Joan Baez and Pete Seeger. It was great seeing guys like Mitch Miller eat their words. I mean guys like that used to deride Dylan and others as being trendy teen-moron crap. But I found new respect for dude going on camera now and basically copping to the fact that he had NO idea why Dylan was at Columbia, except for the fact that everyone respected John hammond to such a degree, and that Miller himself just didn't have the eyes to see Dylan's talent. "Hammond's Folly" ended up proving them all blind.

• Got it on the TIVO...

• thats weird there's a dope dylan docu on the bbc down in the UK on right now. some nice ginsberg footage on there too, I met him once he was cool

It sounds like the same film. Lot's of Ginsberg and folks like Joan Baez and Pete Seeger. It was great seeing guys like Mitch Miller eat their words. I mean guys like that used to deride Dylan and others as being trendy teen-moron crap. But I found new respect for dude going on camera now and basically copping to the fact that he had NO idea why Dylan was at Columbia, except for the fact that everyone respected John hammond to such a degree, and that Miller himself just didn't have the eyes to see Dylan's talent. "Hammond's Folly" ended up proving them all blind.

Sounds like the same, the one on the beeb is the Martin Scorcese one.. part 2 tonight....

WOW...This was so dope. It's something worth catching or atleast buying / renting on DVD. A real good look for PBS even if I have to keep twisting the antenna to get any sort of visible image. Pure face melt sessions and stories.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Watched it with the wife last night. Sort of an interesting marker in our relationship. She hipped me to the film which simply wouldn't have happened 15 years ago when we first met. She comes from a show tunes/billy joel type family perspective. It's cool how through our relationship she has come to personally appreciate a great American master. Sometimes I'll come home and she'll be playing with our daughter listening to disc 1 of the Bootleg Series Vol 3. Makes me weepy.

Regarding the doc: Dylan just won't give it up. Baez and others while not nearly as good as artists at least come somewhat clean. Dylan is never gonna have that except in such miniscule doses, like when he talks about the spiritual experience of listening to specific songs when he was a child. I just wonder what it would be like to be around him when he wasn't playing at his mysterious artist persona. Maybe he never does.

BTW Van Ronk's singing voice is

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    WOW...This was so dope. It's something worth catching or atleast buying / renting on DVD. A real good look for PBS even if I have to keep twisting the antenna to get any sort of visible image. Pure face melt sessions and stories.

Tomorrow should be even more smoking cause the tunes/period they are gonna focus on are really the thing that changed American music. Plus, Dylan gets mean and drugged out so there will be a lot more comedy if Scorcese plays it straight.

I really dig that some many beatnuts dig on this old folky rocknroller. Cool as fuck. I guess game recognizes game.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    that Odetta footage was amazing... anybody know if there's a decent recording of that song???

• BAH! WOH!

• that Odetta footage was amazing... anybody know if there's a decent recording of that song???

yeah, that was one of my favorite parts too.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    This documentary is so blazing. Dylan was such a pimp.

Some of the footage of him getting grilled by the press is unbelievable.

That one part where dude is like "I know you dont like to be placed in a category with others, ....but for those of us over 30, could you please categorize yourself and state your role?"

Rediculous. You guys gotta see this thing.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    i just caught the last hour or so. wow.
    tough tour in '66.
    that last performance where he says "play it fuckin loud", was that after the accident?

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    it was before

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    i just caught the last hour or so. wow.
    tough tour in '66.
    that last performance where he says "play it fuckin loud", was that after the accident?

See:

• Just watched the second half. Watching Dylan go at the media is amusing stuff. The part where the man asked him to suck on his glasses for the camera was hysterical. He says What? Walks up to the guy and says "Do you wan't a suck?" "Anyone else want to suck my glasses?" Shit had me busting up. He was a genius at manipulating the media to his own benefit. He almost reminds me of Ali in the way he toys with them sometimes.

• There was like a 10 second clip of Howlin' Wolf at Newport in last night's show that was

I really enjoyed part one, buy I missed the continuation tonight...I'll have to rent it.

This is so dope too since just a couple weeks ago I was getting into a lot of Dylan stuff and realizing how fitting it is with the times. Can't wait to check out the DVD for the static free version.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    How about the scene where Dylan is trying to duet with Johnny Cash on a very beautifully odd arrangment of "I'm so Lonesome I could Cry". I don't think I have ever heard anyone play that song differently from Hank Williams. Dylan just completely twisted it around. Genius.

• montymonty 420 Posts
    ...you can't be wise and in love at the same time.