John Holt "Stealing Stealing" rhythm others.

CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
edited September 2005 in Strut Central
You know the John Holt song "Stealing Stealing" right? Luciano had a song on that rhythm ("Ulterior Motive") and Sizzla had one as well (which was an album cut but I forget the title - ANYONE REMEMBER IT?)Anyone know of any other songs on this rhythm? They re-released in 98 and the og must be from late 70s I'm thinking. K in Canada? Any other "real headz know tha deal" reggae dudes up in here?Also maybe some suggestions that if I like the John Holt and Ken Booth and Sugar Minott and those heads, what else should I look for? Just trying to get up on my get-ups.

Comments

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    derrick harriot perhaps?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Yeah he's decent.

• The Sizzla is called "Dem Ah Try A Ting" and it was on the Xterminator label.

Others on that riddim:

Capleton - Jah Caught Them
    Cocoa Tea - No Faith
    Luciano - Ulterior Motive
    Malichi - Love Jah
    Mikey General - Babylon Cake
    Prince Malachi - Love Jah

John Holt's "Stealing" came out in (I think) 1984 and is on Volcano.

I looooove "Stealing."

• PEKPEK 735 Posts

Also maybe some suggestions that if I like the John Holt and Ken Booth and Sugar Minott and those heads, what else should I look for? Just trying to get up on my get-ups.

Cornel Campbell, Leroy Sibbles, Johnny Clarke...

• Johnny Clarke...

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    The Sizzla is called "Dem Ah Try A Ting" and it was on the Xterminator label.

Others on that riddim:

Capleton - Jah Caught Them
    Cocoa Tea - No Faith
    Luciano - Ulterior Motive
    Malichi - Love Jah
    Mikey General - Babylon Cake
    Prince Malachi - Love Jah

John Holt's "Stealing" came out in (I think) 1984 and is on Volcano.

I looooove "Stealing."

Okay thanks Ross. I have the Luciano on Exterminator. Definitely gonna try to cop the Cocoa Tea and the Capelton.

I have the Sizzla LP around here somewhere, that cover with all the flames and shit. I don't really like Sizzla though.

• Cornell Campbell

Big and serious.

Also, Junior Byles will make you cry. "Fade Away" and "Curly Locks" are super obvious for excellent reasons.

• I don't really like Sizzla though.

You know you knock this

Come fly wis me, make love to me gyal
    Wine up pon it, I'm here to fuck you gyal
    Alright wis me, make love to me gyal
    Wine up pon it, I'm here to... wooooh! wooooh!

MURDERROOIIIII

• I don't really like Sizzla though.

You know you knock this

Come fly wis me, make love to me gyal
    Wine up pon it, I'm here to fuck you gyal
    Alright wis me, make love to me gyal
    Wine up pon it, I'm here to... wooooh! wooooh!

MURDERROOIIIII

Thank you for quoting the radio edit.

• The radio edit goes "I'm here to fuck you gyal"?

• The radio edit goes "I'm here to fuck you gyal"?

Doh! I just read the first line.

Yeah, I much, much prefer the radio edit.

• Options
    You know the John Holt song "Stealing Stealing" right? Luciano had a song on that rhythm ("Ulterior Motive") and Sizzla had one as well (which was an album cut but I forget the title - ANYONE REMEMBER IT?)

Anyone know of any other songs on this rhythm? They re-released in 98 and the og must be from late 70s I'm thinking. K in Canada?

There's a re-working done by Junjo LAws in '84 with Holt singing that too, but that is no the OG. Og is classic Treasure Isle rocksteady and thus this tune is a Duke Reid production from summer 1970. Sounds like you'd dig their stuff whichg was heavily rooted in the US sounds/records making their way over to JA. PAragons, Sensations ("Everyday is a Holidy" especailly), Phyliss Dillon, Alton Ellis (his material from this time is shockingly beautiful), Holt, Booth, Jamaicans "Ba Ba Boom" a '67 festival song winner, Techniques, Joya Landis, etc...

Can't think of any rhythms other than covers of the tune or the JAzzbo chant over the rhythm, but I found this link for you, Cosmo:

http://72.14.207.104/search?q=cache:raAChtVP1J0J:www.reggaezine.co.uk/stealing.html+john+holt+stealing+treasure+isle&hl=en&client=firefox-a

Reason i'm saying that is beacause you mention both Holt and Booth, and Boothe's best tunes are from the same rocksteady period (Holt too IMO). Sugar comes a handful+ years later...or you could be digging solely their early dancehall stuff (which would mesh with the Sugar link) and I'm totally off base.

Loving PAuper - DObby Dobson

K in Canada.

• Options
    Yeah he's decent.

I could make you feel real bad by putting up soundclips and telling you storeis of his affiliation with your hometown of Philly, but I won't.

K.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Yeah he's decent.

I could make you feel real bad by putting up soundclips and telling you storeis of his affiliation with your hometown of Philly, but I won't.

K.

Well then tell me on November 9th. I'll be up your way spinning for Kanye West's afterparty.

Then we SWIM.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    You know the John Holt song "Stealing Stealing" right? Luciano had a song on that rhythm ("Ulterior Motive") and Sizzla had one as well (which was an album cut but I forget the title - ANYONE REMEMBER IT?)

Anyone know of any other songs on this rhythm? They re-released in 98 and the og must be from late 70s I'm thinking. K in Canada?

There's a re-working done by Junjo LAws in '84 with Holt singing that too, but that is no the OG. Og is classic Treasure Isle rocksteady and thus this tune is a Duke Reid production from summer 1970. Sounds like you'd dig their stuff whichg was heavily rooted in the US sounds/records making their way over to JA. PAragons, Sensations ("Everyday is a Holidy" especailly), Phyliss Dillon, Alton Ellis (his material from this time is shockingly beautiful), Holt, Booth, Jamaicans "Ba Ba Boom" a '67 festival song winner, Techniques, Joya Landis, etc...

Can't think of any rhythms other than covers of the tune or the JAzzbo chant over the rhythm, but I found this link for you, Cosmo:

http://72.14.207.104/search?q=cache:raAChtVP1J0J:www.reggaezine.co.uk/stealing.html+john+holt+stealing+treasure+isle&hl=en&client=firefox-a

Reason i'm saying that is beacause you mention both Holt and Booth, and Boothe's best tunes are from the same rocksteady period (Holt too IMO). Sugar comes a handful+ years later...or you could be digging solely their early dancehall stuff (which would mesh with the Sugar link) and I'm totally off base.

Loving PAuper - DObby Dobson

K in Canada.

Oh yeah and I downloaded a version of "Stealing" that sounds very 1984, but it wasn't the vesrion that I remembered so with a little more research I found the version with the Duke Reid produced version which is WITHOUT A DOUBT[/b] the version I was searching for. My man Rob Paine put me up on this back in the day and I remembered it having a definitive rock-steady feel to. I will search for the whole Paragons album now.

• Options
    Yeah he's decent.

K.

Well then tell me on November 9th. I'll be up your way spinning for Kanye West's afterparty.

Then we SWIM.

Will do. Where's the after party at? Are you the new A Trak?

K.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

Also, Junior Byles will make you cry. "Fade Away" and "Curly Locks" are super obvious for excellent reasons.

A Matter of Time w/ Fun & Games by Byles are seriously beautiful, too.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Yeah he's decent.

K.

Then we SWIM.

Will do. Where's the after party at? Are you the new A Trak?

K.

Yes I am the new A Trak.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

A Matter of Time w/ Fun & Games by Byles are seriously beautiful, too.

Thank you! I am on it.

• There's a record by Bitty McLean called "Walk Away From Love" that came out last year that you should hear if you haven't (actually, it's on that link I sent you, Cos). It's over a variation of the Alton Ellis "Get Ready to Rock Steady" version and it's a cover of the David Ruffin song of the same name.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    This is a good ass thread.