FLAT TIRE RELATED(NRR)

SouthCrackalackSouthCrackalack 3,853 Posts
edited September 2005 in Strut Central
FUCK..two flat tires within two weeks. Something isnt right here...same wheel gets an unexpected flat in less than two weeks. Any mechanics or someone more knowledgeable with cars than me on here that might have a clue to why this shit is happening? I am really fucking mad(AND BROKE) right now and need to figure out why this shit is happening. I cant afford to put a new fucking tire on my car every week. DOES ANYONE have a clue to why this could be happening?? All opinions are VERY MUCH appreciated. FUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

Comments

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    - your alignment

- rotors bent?

- something wrong with the tires you're buying (some tires are absolute crap)

- are you driving over a bed of nails on the way to work/dig? saying....

most reputable tire businesses will replace faulty tires free of charge

• Somebody in your hood get a new roof/ big remodel = nails all over the f'n place. Unless the sidewalls blown out or it's a tear, service stations will plug nail holes for like $10/per.

• Somebody in your hood get a new roof/ big remodel = nails all over the f'n place. Unless the sidewalls blown out or it's a tear, service stations will plug nail holes for like $10/per.

Definitely. A misconception people that aren't familiar with cars have is that a flat tire means you need a new tire. That's not so. For stuff like nail and small road debris, you can get your tire fixed.

What you want is a plug AND patch, where they jam a piece of rubber in the hole (the plug) and then they put a patch on it from the inside, like a band-aid.

$10 seems kinda low, but I would say $10-$20 would be reasonable. Most places do plug/patch combos now, one price.

And do let them play you if you go to a place that sells tires. Like Dude said, unless it's on the sidewall or you drove over a samurai sword or something, they can fix it. The only iffy area area is where the sidewall and the tread come together where it's curving, that may or may not be able to be fixed and if they can fix it the plug may wear out and start leaking again after, say, a year. (Happened to me)

Take it from me, I get AT LEAST a leak or flat a year, (usually 2-3). I've got experience.

Oh, and if you have a flat, try Fix-A-Flat (the shit in a can). Once again, won't work with holes in the sidewalls or ninja slashes, but will patch a tire long enough to take it to get a permanent patch. I left one in once and I got about 3 months out of it. Since then I've kept a can in the trunk at all times. That and a cheap electric air pump ($20 or so) for leaks and general tire inflation. Beats changing a tire.

• To find a leak - cover the tire in soapy water and look for the bubbles. (even along the seal between the rim and tire, cause a bent or rusty rim can deflate a tire. This could explain why it happened twice.)

And co-sign on the Fix-a-flat. Even though the label says it's only good for a short while, it can add a year onto a tire with a slow leak. After that - try a patch kit. They are easy.

To save cash buy used tires - they'll save you 50% of the cost. Just make sure the treads still have depth.

• well repairing a flat isnt really my problem here...the problem is for whatever reason I keep getting a flat on one particular wheel. I am taking her to the shop around noon to have them take a look...thanks for the advice though.

• rim probably

I'd be pissed if you bought a bunch of new tires just cause your rim is bent.

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    Sounds to me like somebody needs a rim job.

-e

• Sounds to me like somebody needs a rim job.

-e