Summer Finds Pt. 2 - Lil??? Dudes Unite

M1NYAM1NYA 18 Posts
edited September 2005 in Strut Central
I really enjoy all the weekly finds posts here, but rarely have much to show of interest for the elite diggers. I couldn???t find the original summer finds post, so I thought I would start another one. These are some of the recs I found this summer that, in my opinion, have cool standout tracks that others may enjoy. No raer holy grail material here??? just recs with tunes I find myself playing often. You can tell from my writing I am no expert or historian on music??? I simply enjoy vinyl like everyone else on this board.

From the top left:

1) Cryan Shames / Synthesis (Columbia - ????)

This is a nice rock LP with several good tunes. My favourite is ???Your Love??? which is a slow ballad with strings. A quick google search shows that this band is from Chicago and this was their last of three LPs.

2) Urszula (Arista - 1975)

Produced by Michal Urbaniak. I like the song ???Papaya??? with its funky breakdowns and high pitched vocals. Dudziak makes a bunch of crazy noises.

3) The Bendeth Band (RCA - 1981)

I love ???I Was There??? ??? probably my favourite disco find of the summer. Did this chart? I cannot see why??? the vocals and chorus are fantastic.

4) David Fanshawe - African Sanctus (Phillips - 1975)

???Lord???s Prayer??? is really nice with a funky repeating vocals at the end. I assume this song was a hit of some sort based on the ???including..??? text on the cover.

5) Steel Vibrations (Calypan - 197?)

???Oye - Come Va??? is a nice, funky, drum heavy steel drum cover. You used to be able to buy/hear it on www.breakz4dayz.com.

6) Kano - Ahjia (Unidisc - 1980)

This is a disco tune with crazy keyboards that makes me piss my pants. They are singing about ???7 golden doors??? or something, but its hard to make out because of the accent. I am only up on Kano???s ???Im Ready??? tune??? so I need to hunt down the LP this is from.

7) The Zodiac - Cosmic Sounds (Elektra - 196?)

Crazy zodiac talk over some nice grooves ??? says ???Must be played in the dark??? on the back, hahah.

8) JellyBean Benitez - Whotupski?? (EMI - 1984)

I thought this LP would suck, but the production is really nice. Includes covers of B-Boy staples like Cat Stevens??? ???Was A Dog a Dougnut???, and Babe Ruth???s ???The Mexican???. The latter has the original vocalist from Babe Ruth redoing the song with 80???s production. Surprisingly its pretty faithful to the original and still dope.

9) Roberta Flack Featuring Donny Hathaway (Atlantic - 1979)

Always passed on this common rec until recently??? ???Don???t Make Me Wait Too Long??? is wicked smooth disco track.

And lastly a few questions about:

10) Honey Novick and Chris Henderson - Solid (Wizard Records - 197?)

Haven???t opened this yet and couldn???t find much online??? is this anything good? Here are some close up pics:

Finally, this pic on the back of a Gabriel cover made me laugh enough to buy the LP.. .wtf is going on?

Thanks again Soulstrut for a great board. Please school me on this thread and contribute more summer finds.

M1NYA

Comments

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    open it dude. You tell us.

• How much do you want for that?

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Dude, you really meant:

YO LET ME HOLLER AT THAT!

• 500 people just added "Honey Novick" to their eBay "Favorite Searches."

• 500 people just added "Honey Novick" to their eBay "Favorite Searches."

The Reynaldo Factor????

• I take it the 'SOLID' LP is common ... noted.

Thanks Soulstrut.

M1NYA

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    500 people just added "Honey Novick" to their eBay "Favorite Searches."

The Reynaldo Factor????

$100.
    $100.
    $100.
    $100.
    $100.
    $100.
    $100.
    $100.
    $100.

• http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/2871/summerfinds0070wd.jpg

I can't quite tell the gender of the bender second from the left...

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    thats what im sayin, man face, hairy ass armpits........... titties??????

• Options
    Are you from Toronto/Canada? I'd wager coin on it.

The Novak is pretty cool - solo jazz singing (some scat) with only a guitar and drummer backing her up. Sold it a couple times before.

It was recorded here.

Kevin.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    I take it the 'SOLID' LP is common ... noted.

Thanks Soulstrut.

M1NYA

I have no idea. I was just saying you should open it and see if its any good! Fuck what its worth.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    thats what im sayin, man face, hairy ass armpits........... titties??????

damn I was thinking the same thing.

And since I just replied to the "whats this sample" rant post, I think this would be a place to say THIS IS HOW NEWBIE STRUTTERS NEED TO GET DOWN!!!

Quality post, mayne.

• Are you from Toronto/Canada? I'd wager coin on it.

Yeah, fairly close by... heh heh. You know your records... the Bendeth Band was recorded in Toronto as well. Thanks for the feedback on the Novak, much appreciated. K, your weekly finds are facking crazy by the way.

M1NYA