Gas Prices Soaring....Again?

gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
edited September 2005 in Strut Central
my peoples are telling me that gas is rumored to be FIVE dollars (atleast in the midwest) this weekend due to the hurricane down south...anyone else hear this. ps. hope all strutters and everyone else down there is getting out or holding on tight! stay strong.

Comments

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    i've heard the same.

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    Filling now!

TTYL

• Options
    No one can really guess the prices, but hell yeah they'll be going up if Rita does some damage to either rigs in the gulf or onland refineries. I might go fill up now too, good idea Aaron.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    these are strange times

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    No one can really guess the prices, but hell yeah they'll be going up if Rita does some damage to either rigs in the gulf or onland refineries. I might go fill up now too, good idea Aaron.

When I got my oil changed last week -- post-Katrina price gouge -- the workers mentioned that there will be a definite price increase come October.

• these are strange times
    fuck these gas prices. i'm have to get a second job, just to keep my tank full, in a minute.

• bell & co,
    do yall see gas prices getting cheaper down the line?
    high prices and auto taxes dont seem to stop europeans from driving, but prepare for this shit to hurt the pockets if you are car reliant...as many of us are.

• bell & co,
    do yall see gas prices getting cheaper down the line?
    high prices and auto taxes dont seem to stop europeans from driving, but prepare for this shit to hurt the pockets if you are car reliant...as many of us are.
    gas prices won't go down. every time i'm chilling in the barber shop, the old headz tell me how gas used to be cheap. i know, i know that was due to inflation but yeah, it's gonna get expensive to fill up. fuck an S.U.V, the next move is a mountain bike....

• next move is a mountain bike
    ahahha on some carl johnson shit

i been biking since august and its great, my legs are alot stronger and it keeps me in shape..

i think people forget breaking a sweat is good for you
    Yeah, biking is the shit. The reason why I don't bike or walk from point A to point B is the simple fact that where I live, everything is spread out. Shit, there isn't any corner stores out here. I need to get back to Jersey...

fuck these gas prices. i'm have to get a second job, just to keep my tank full, in a minute.

Think yourself lucky. In the UK we pay the equivalent of $6.50 a gallon.

Think yourself lucky. In the UK we pay the equivalent of $6.50 a gallon.
    I heard it was insane overseas but considering how much money I take in, I am not[/b] very lucky.

• Think yourself lucky. In the UK we pay the equivalent of $6.50 a gallon.

Correct me if I'm wrong but they do that intentionally through taxes in order to lower the use of cars.

What you're probably not factoring in is that (from what I've heard), Europe has an excellent public transportation system.

Not so in the US. With the exception of New York (and maybe a few others) most cities in the US don't have dependable (read: frequent/convenient enough) public transportation so driving is essential.

• yup. priorities.

it would be political suicide to propose a gas tax

• NY doesn't even have a truly great transportation system. It's great by default - in that the rest of the country honks so bad. But truly, it's not very dependable and sucks in a manner of ways but hey it does go almost anywhere in the city. city busses are stupid and useless however.

I still get to my store in half the time when I drive. I get almost anywhere in half the time when I drive. Going across the city - from the tip of Brooklyn to the top of the Bronx - would take you 2+ hours on the train, but it would take me an hour at most in a car. The train runs 24/7 but you are liable to wait up to an hour after midnight for it. Construction is always going on, in the worst way. If they were to try to make the system better, they would have to get real serious about cracking down on cronyism and porky contracts for new construction projects.

I can't go to home depot and pick up a safe and a motion detector street lamp and some planks and wood glue on the train (or on the bus). I can't go to the furniture store, I can't go look at a collection in the outer city, etc on the train. Rush hours on the train are as you might expect - sardine style.

That said, we do have a train and it does go almost everywhere. Most cities are far worse.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    NY doesn't even have a truly great transportation system. It's great by default - in that the rest of the country honks so bad. But truly, it's not very dependable and sucks in a manner of ways but hey it does go almost anywhere in the city. city busses are stupid and useless however.

I still get to my store in half the time when I drive. I get almost anywhere in half the time when I drive. Going across the city - from the tip of Brooklyn to the top of the Bronx - would take you 2+ hours on the train, but it would take me an hour at most in a car. The train runs 24/7 but you are liable to wait up to an hour after midnight for it. Construction is always going on, in the worst way. If they were to try to make the system better, they would have to get real serious about cracking down on cronyism and porky contracts for new construction projects.

I can't go to home depot and pick up a safe and a motion detector street lamp and some planks and wood glue on the train (or on the bus). I can't go to the furniture store, I can't go look at a collection in the outer city, etc on the train. Rush hours on the train are as you might expect - sardine style.

That said, we do have a train and it does go almost everywhere. Most cities are far worse.

Yeah man. Try living in l.a. though and you will be thankful for what you got!

• Yeah man. Try living in l.a. though and you will be thankful for what you got!

Hey I took some buses and trains from LBC airport to Wilshire, took about 80 mins and I never saw so many badly dressed white people in my life. Truly the end of the line.

JP is pretty much spot on about trying to do business in NYC without a car. Impossible unless you are made of money. And the MTA is used as a cash cow to subsidize all manner of corporate pork instead of re-investing and expanding. How many years has that 2nd Ave line been planned -- 60 or something? And it might get done by 2050.

• NY doesn't even have a truly great transportation system. It's great by default - in that the rest of the country honks so bad. But truly, it's not very dependable and sucks in a manner of ways but hey it does go almost anywhere in the city. city busses are stupid and useless however.

I wasn't comparing it to LA, which is one of the most poorly-designed transportation nightmares I can think of... I was comparing it to London, Mexico City, Chicago, Spain, Tokyo, other cities with good transportation systems.

• Yeah man. Try living in l.a. though and you will be thankful for what you got!

Serious co-Sign. I used to live in LA about 10 years ago, and I remember everywhere being at least 45 minutes away...by automobile...via freeway!

SG

Serious co-Sign. I used to live in LA about 10 years ago, and I remember everywhere being at least 45 minutes away...by automobile...via freeway!

SG

I thought everything was "20 minutes" away from everywhere else?! Traffic must have improved.

Berlin's subway and train system ROCKS! Not to mention cycle paths.... and trees n shit. I think I'm moving there eventually.

I wasn't comparing it to LA, which is one of the most poorly-designed transportation nightmares I can think of... I was comparing it to London, Mexico City, Chicago, Spain, Tokyo, other cities with good transportation systems.

everybody here knows why la is such a nightmare right ?

• cocaine abuse?

• cocaine abuse?

no man. you know the story. the oil and tire companies bought out all the mass transit in LA and shut it down so more people would be driving cars and buying gas and tires.

• Criminal shit. And there were some beautiful old trolley cars.

Same thing happened in the UK after they privatized the trains 10 years ago - bus companies started buying train lines and then cutting service/raising prices coz they had a monopoly

• cocaine abuse?

no man. you know the story. the oil and tire companies bought out all the mass transit in LA and shut it down so more people would be driving cars and buying gas and tires.

i was just kidding.
    ugly history right there.