Kanye vs. Shirley Bassey...

the3rdstreamthe3rdstream 1,980 Posts
edited September 2005 in Strut Central
Sorry if this was already posted"...so one way or another he is going to have to pay me a lot of money."[/b]

Comments

• asparagusasparagus Northampton, MA 333 Posts

• I take it she doesn't own the publishing to the song in question... Its a way too obvious of a sample to not be cleared.... Funny shit tho never-the-less. She sounded

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    Shirley Bassey and The Dap Kings class action ?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    People need to lay off Kanye.

• PEKPEK 735 Posts
    I really don't think she's gonna see a cent - she doesn't own the publishing on that (despite her vocal performance for which she was compensated for back in '73) - look @ George Clinton and Bridgeport Music (which Clinton goes into a little bit of detail @ this recent conference w/ Hank Shocklee in tow) -

http://www.tvworldwide.com/events/iwa/050911/agenda.cfm

Publishing is where it's @ - and Kanye already has recounted how he relinquished 100 % of the publishing for 'Diamonds from Sierra Leone' to enable him to use the sample. John Barry's smiling from the $$$ coming in from that song; Bassey won't be...

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    On a side note, just the other day I found a Shirley Bassey record completly sung in spanish. Anyone wanna hear it? I could post mp3s

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    not really.

I wonder how much publishing kanye retains on most of his stuff with samples.

• No but speaking of Big Shirley, I was listening to this album just the other day...

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    No

One more negative and I'm taking that record to my grave with me. NOONE is gonna hear it. NOONE!

• People need to lay off Kanye.

In the thread about El Michels Affair I mentioned that they covered a soul song and claimed writing/arranging credit.

Nobody on this site cares when a new funk band doesn't clear something, but when Kanye doesn't clear a sample... watch out...

• People need to lay off Kanye.

I mean really. Let him live.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    In the thread about El Michels Affair I mentioned that they covered a soul song and claimed writing/arranging credit.

Nobody on this site cares when a new funk band doesn't clear something, but when Kanye doesn't clear a sample... watch out...

El Michaels Affair is in the same boat as Sharon Jones... if you still have to work a day job you get a pass, you don't owe anybody... the same way nobody cares if Kanye cleared anything on the Infamous Syndicate or whatever that shit was, dude was sleeping in a car or whatever...

This Shirley Bassey thing is pathetic though. She really oughta know by now how the industry works...

People need to lay off Kanye.

I mean really. Let him live.

As far as I can tell the only one giving K a hard time is Shirley, ain't nobody here talkin down on him...

• In the thread about El Michels Affair I mentioned that they covered a soul song and claimed writing/arranging credit.

El Michaels Affair is in the same boat as Sharon Jones... if you still have to work a day job you get a pass, you don't owe anybody... the same way nobody cares if Kanye cleared anything on the Infamous Syndicate or whatever that shit was, dude was sleeping in a car or whatever...

Dude fuck that. They claimed writing and arranging credit! They cleared the Isaac Hayes cover but not the more obscure one? What that says to me: "hey guys, this one we can get away with".

• She probably doesn't have a single right to the song, performance, or master and that's why she was never contacted....

Dude fuck that. They claimed writing and arranging credit! They cleared the Isaac Hayes cover but not the more obscure one? What that says to me: "hey guys, this one we can get away with".

Don't get me wrong, it sucks if they took credit... but its not like anybody's making money off a El Michaels record

• Worse than not clearing it Kanye was
    cheeky

• exactly. you ever try and get a license from harry fox agency on an obscure song?

what will el michaels sell, lets shoot really high at 10,000 units. statutory rate on that many units is about 8 cents. harry fox will take more than half for administration so you are talking about whoever owns the original publishing getting $400 at best. probably more than the el michaels record will make anyway. on top of that, if hfa doesnt know who owns the publishing (meaning it isnt in their database), they arent going to research it for you, they just deny you the rights. claiming they wrote and arranged it is a bit of a whack move, but it beats only covering hits cuz thats what you can get a license for.

• OlskiOlski 355 Posts
    knowledge being dropped! running a small label and releasing cover versions or songs with uncleared sources the last thing you do is dealing with harry fox or the gema (which is the german version) if you really plan to release the record and have fun doing it!

• so why did they cover (and clear) an Isaac Hayes song? Honestly I can't stop bumping this album but this an interesting contradiction.

Everybody's discussing this as oppposed to Kanye not clearing Sharon Jones when that is a Rhymefest record that probably dude will not get paid on (not Kanye, Rhymefest), Kanye got paid off that before the record was even mastered.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts

"...so one way or another he is going to have to pay me a lot of money."[/b]

shes going to feel dumb when her a/r folls tell her she aint getting shit

• so why did they cover (and clear) an Isaac Hayes song? Honestly I can't stop bumping this album but this an interesting contradiction.

dude, it is all about the process. i can clear the isaac hayes song and have id paid for through songfile (hfa) in 2 minutes. you can't clear the other track (without a mountain of effort) even if you wanted to.