Premo dj gig : what can I expect ?

OlskiOlski 355 Posts
edited September 2005 in Strut Central
The producer we love to love and hate to hate is playing a dj gig in my area in October.Has anybody catched him at a club recently? What can I expect ?

Comments

• yelling and diatribes

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    The producer we love to love and hate to hate is playing a dj gig in my area in October.

Has anybody catched him at a club recently? What can I expect ?

bitterness

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Yeah.

Its pretty funny actually. He spent the whole night yelling into the mic. At one point he played "Dont worry be happy" and screamed at everyone who wasnt feeling it.

"YOU NOT FEELING THIS? I KNOW THUGS THAT ROLL TO THIS SHIT RIGHT HERE!!!! O.G.'s!!!"

• Take everything Phill said in that recent "real shit" thread, transpose it so it's coming out of Primo's mouth, while he's playing UBBs, over the mic! Lots of chastizing the crowd for not knowing "that real shit".

Dude is the best DJ to consistently honk when it comes to parties

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Being reminded that the crowd "doesn't know shit."

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    The producer we love to love and hate to hate is playing a dj gig in my area in October.

Has anybody catched him at a club recently? What can I expect ?

COMPLETE COMEDY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He will not play things you expect. Do not think that you will get an underground keep it real hip-hop set. That foll will drop AC/DC and Nirvana records and then scream on anyone who is not feelin' it. He will tell the crowd they are wack. He will play some hip-hop, but be ready for anything.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    depends on the venue / crowd

"that real shit".

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    From a post a couple of weeks ago

He's not crazy on the tables, but he sure can hype up a fuckin' crowd and pick a record to drop. When he stopped the music and turned around and went into his crates and came back 20 seconds later and said something along the lines of "Now, I stopped the music, cause this next song is important, lets do it up right" and he dropped Big L, the place went nutz.

Don't go thinking you are going to see a technical set of any kind tho.

All just drop-ins with a couple of wogga wooga wogga's here and there.

But if the crowd is into his set, it will be a good night.

Edit:

Hmm, I didn't see any of that stuff when I saw him a couple of weeks back.

Played when he was suppose to. Dropped just hip hop tracks.. The crowd was into it and people were dancin'.

But this was Hamilton. I'm sure they are dyin' for some venues up there.

• Weakest DJ Gig ever.

Total Junkshow.

Lots of Pink Floyd and Van Halen.

Dick Sandwhich all the way.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Weakest DJ Gig ever.

Total Junkshow.

Damn Nate...

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts
    It is one of the most uncomfortable DJ shows I have ever attened

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    Damn, that sounds pretty shit-tay.

Cosmo what's up dude, you're not feeling my Funky Lemonade scratches or what?

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    Its pretty funny actually. He spent the whole night yelling into the mic. At one point he played "Dont worry be happy" and screamed at everyone who wasnt feeling it.

"YOU NOT FEELING THIS? I KNOW THUGS THAT ROLL TO THIS SHIT RIGHT HERE!!!! O.G.'s!!!"
    wow. didn't know this was a thug anthem. may have to pull the 45 out of the sell bag.

with all this crazy stuff he pulls at gigs, has he put out a mix with all of this eclectic mess? i mean there were some interesting selections on Kings of Hip-Hop, but sounds like he is really off the deep end live.

• yup he is in bristol soon.. i have a freshers party (read: 18yr old clueless girls starting their first year at uni) to play that night..

dj premier telling me off for not feeling 'the real shit' or a truckload of girls..

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    Premo is dope, live. Yes he does that shit all night long but I feel him!!!! He is almost right because MOST of the crowd doesn't feel what he is playing but Basically he is trying to open people up to music and stop having tunnel vision, because hip hop music comes from every type of music and anything funky just like Bam used to do. Yes THUGS roll to Don't worry be happy!

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    Yes THUGS roll to Don't worry be happy!
    well, i'd like if Premo would stop with these GangStarr Foundation projects and produce Bobby McFerrin's next project then.

Premo is dope, live. Yes he does that shit all night long but I feel him!!!! He is almost right because MOST of the crowd doesn't feel what he is playing but Basically he is trying to open people up to music and stop having tunnel vision, because hip hop music comes from every type of music and anything funky just like Bam used to do. Yes THUGS roll to Don't worry be happy!

I agree. I thought it was right hilarious.

• Lotsa yellin'. Good records. I LOVE it.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

That's a small problem I have with hip hop nowadayz. So many people have stepped to the thought of "Keepin'it Real" that they forgot what the music was about.

Do people go out to have fun anymore? Or has everyone become a critic?

• DJAckDJAck 255 Posts
    P-P-P-P-Premier Premier P-P-Premier

• Weakest DJ Gig ever.

Total Junkshow.

LMAO....! Damn.......!

• Heard him spinning between acts (DE LA,ROOTS,DOOM) at
    Central Park Summer Stage this past July. He was playing
    your basic classic breaks and some 90's hip hop.
    Specifically remember him dropping
    impeach the pres. and nautilus.
    Deffinitly doing the "keep it real shit"
    on the mic that day too.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    Yeah.

that reminds me when Maceo did toronto and the idiot played 50 cent's in da club 3 times and yelled at us for not feeling it...that's the only time i'l ever approve of a toronto crowd doing a screwface, it was justified.

don't get drunk before the gig $#@$#, during is fine, but NOT before.

Yeah.

that reminds me when Maceo did toronto and the idiot played 50 cent's in da club 3 times and yelled at us for not feeling it...that's the only time i'l ever approve of a toronto crowd doing a screwface, it was justified.

don't get drunk before the gig $#@$#, during is fine, but NOT before.

actually thats even funnier than the shit primo did.

damn man, he kept going "yo when a record's hot a records hot". he'd stop the music so you're anticipating something huge and then its....."go shorty its your berfday" again and again!

christ man, we have polar bears in our backyards and wear snow shoes, but this isnt the first time we've heard rap music.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

I agree. I thought it was right hilarious[/b].

Are you trying to be British now or something?

• damn man, he kept going "yo when a record's hot a records hot". he'd stop the music so you're anticipating something huge and then its....."go shorty its your berfday" again and again!

christ man, we have polar bears in our backyards and wear snow shoes, but this isnt the first time we've heard rap music.

I don't know dude but I thought every dj was playing that song 10 times in a night when it came out. Mace must have forgot he was in "real hip hop" land (welcome to toronto where we pay 20 dollars to boo ya).

I think all you guys are a little Ralph T about Primo. Must be hitting some "I'm not down enough" button. I saw him and thought it was hilarious. He can say what he wants. Dude is a fucking legend or like my European hommies say "a lejj"

sup,
    if you want to get into an argument about Toronto crowds, it isn't gonna happen, cause i agree with you 100%. and dude is a legend, dont get me wrong. but there IS something wrong with barking at your audience, and just running a godamn song 3 times full, not even snippets of it, just running it off,and just screaming how great it is, i think it lacks class, no matter how big the record is. that's like pops telling you how great brocolli is and throwing 3 bushels of brocolli on your plate, telling you, u ain't ish and just telling you to eat it. ok its not like that at all, but u know what i mean.

• Premo is dope, live. Yes he does that shit all night long but I feel him!!!! He is almost right because MOST of the crowd doesn't feel what he is playing but Basically he is trying to open people up to music and stop having tunnel vision, because hip hop music comes from every type of music and anything funky just like Bam used to do. Yes THUGS roll to Don't worry be happy!

kinda weird how his opposition to tunnel vision doesn't extend to any hip hop that sounds like it was made after 1996, what with his rants about "robots" and "f*ggot bitch shit."