box set wishlist (compact discs)

TheBeatGoesTheBeatGoes 711 Posts
edited September 2005 in Strut Central
If funds were not an issue, what boxed sets would you love to have in your collection.personally I really want the Stax & Motown singles setsI'm also thinking about "Nuggets", maybe the Miles Davis "Bitches Brew" or "Silent Way" sessions.i'm looking for things along the vein of complete singles for this time period, or complete recordings of_____ on ____ label from _____ to __________, or an albums complete sessions, or even a really good "deluxe edition" of a classic.I know this is a vague question, and i know i'm just a half-assed soul-strut member that goes away for months on end....but i just wanna know what BOXES are HOT

Comments

• BOTH Stax boxes are essential.

i've always wanted the Phil Spector box.

• BOTH Stax boxes are essential.

i've always wanted the Phil Spector box.

they have 3 stax (the last is 72-75), the first 2 seem more essential...but i'd like to own them all some day.

i might add that Phil Spector box to my "wishlist" also.

• see, I didn't even know about the last one.

other great ones -

Anthology of American Folk Music edited by Harry Smith

Captain Beefheart - Grow Fins : Rarities 1965-1982

Tougher Than Tough -Story Of Jamaican Music

The Fall - Complete Peel Sessions (this shit rules.)

• The problem with the Stax one (Motown/Hitsville too) are that they're full of hits that been played to death over the years IMHO so I'm constantly skipping tracks. I'd stick with the mp3 verrsions.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    phil spector -back to mono (soul seeked it, as its quite expensive and its a compilation, though i'd love to read the liner notes)

-most appropiate time for this graemlin if ever

i remember wanting some Elvis Costello one, Hendrix (though a lot of times the recordings are crap like "jimi blowing his nose"...oh and i want this massive Thelonious Monk set, i forget the name..

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts

The Fall - Complete Peel Sessions (this shit rules.)

this loaded into itunes on random is the shit! SQUUUUUUUIIIIIIIIDDDDDDD LOOOOOOORRRRDDDDD

i've got that motown box and i have yet to listen to a single song off it all the way through... is it just me or does 90% of it just sound like pure CHEESE. again itunes is on random and i keep getting hit by the most heinous shit from this box.. skip skip skip.

• Tougher Than Tough -Story Of Jamaican Music

i didn't cop this when it came out and now i'm sorry i didn't.

• I'd like to see someone get off their ass and compile an essential Allen Toussaint set, including stuff he wrote/arranged/produced for Minit, Alon, Sansu etc etc, running from maybe 1960 - 1975.

Same thing for Eddie Bo...(1955-1975)

god i want all the Trojan Records comps...they are steep though, 30 bones canadian for a disc of 3...and theres like 40 of them!! i got the skins one and the mod one, so sweet.

• god i want all the Trojan Records comps...they are steep though, 30 bones canadian for a disc of 3...and theres like 40 of them!! i got the skins one and the mod one, so sweet.

Dusty Groove has a bunch of them for less that $20 USD. Keep an eye out for the bigger boxes. I got one last year that had the Mod Reggae/Skinhead Reggae/British Reggae together (9 CDs) for like $30. I bought the Trojan Dub and Trojan Instrumentals as well.

• lambertlambert 1,166 Posts
    If i was filthy rich, I would probably buy the entire kpm 1000 series. Not a box set, per se, but you get it.

thanks for the info!

also, i want the "here come the girls" compilations...60s all girl brit girls ...i'm all about that "to sir with love" stuff

..and the Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan one two...it just never stops

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    god i want all the Trojan Records comps...they are steep though, 30 bones canadian for a disc of 3...and theres like 40 of them!! i got the skins one and the mod one, so sweet.

Dusty Groove has a bunch of them for less that $20 USD. Keep an eye out for the bigger boxes. I got one last year that had the Mod Reggae/Skinhead Reggae/British Reggae together (9 CDs) for like $30. I bought the Trojan Dub and Trojan Instrumentals as well.

The 3 disc sets are easily attainable in US record stores for $14-15 new

Quality isn't the greatest so its appropriate that they're cheapies

i remember wanting some Elvis Costello one, Hendrix (though a lot of times the recordings are crap like "jimi blowing his nose"...oh and i want this massive Thelonious Monk set, i forget the name..

The Costello one is the first three albums (with tons of bonus tracks) and the promo only live album from that era. IF you don't already own the early material its essential... cool box too

The Hendrix one was so-so, I found it dissappointing... the felt box is dope though (vinyl is 8 purple records I think???)

There are a few massive Monk boxes...

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

The 3 disc sets are easily attainable in US record stores for $14-15 new

Quality isn't the greatest so its appropriate that they're cheapies

I'd advise against supporting them (or much of anything that Trojan/Sanctuary is involved in).

Lots of material on those boxes that Trojan does not--and has never--owned the rights to. This isn't a typical case of convoluted Jamaican dealings where Trojan has some sort of at least arguable claim to the music--this is Trojan dumping music that they know they have no rights to onto those sets and gambling that nobody is sufficiently aware or empowered to make an issue of it.

Seriously, there are lots of much better and more legitimate reggae reissues on the market.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    If i was filthy rich, I would probably buy the entire kpm 1000 series. Not a box set, per se, but you get it.

I got a BUNCH of them i would sell you for CHEAP.

• 1) Stax box set
    2)Albert Ayler box set
    3)Twinight box set

3)Twinight box set

This is on some private mind garden shit, right???

• Any of the boxes that Mosaic make:
    http://www.mosaicrecords.com

I have the first Stax box, would like to get the 2nd and 3rd (CD trades, anyone?)

I want to get the new Miles Davis Cellar box.

• 3)Twinight box set

This is on some private mind garden shit, right???

i searched for it and found nothing

anyone have the PET SOUNDS box? i think that would be nice to have, so you can hear inside all those tracks.

but the box set i've REALLY had my eyes on is....

or should i "take that shit to the DVD box wishlist post"

• The problem with the Stax one (Motown/Hitsville too) are that they're full of hits that been played to death over the years IMHO so I'm constantly skipping tracks. I'd stick with the mp3 verrsions.

I can't speak for the Motown sets, but I SO TOO disagree with the Stax statement. First of all, the three Stax boxes are pretty close to complete. This means that for every bonafide hit you've heard too often, there's about ten songs that aren't as well-known. If it were nothing but "Soul Man," "Respect Yourself," and "The Theme From Shaft" back-to-belly with only the occasional miss, then I could see it, but there's a world of obscure shit on those sets.

Matter of fact, I acquired my copy of the first Stax box set from a guy who was disappointed that there weren't ENOUGH hits.

anyone have the PET SOUNDS box? i think that would be nice to have, so you can hear inside all those tracks.

I've been meaning to get it for ages... after the new release I've given up hope on ever seeing a SMILE sessions box though...

more dvd box set related i think, but a question, how did that blues scorsese thing turn out? was it all him or others too? i think dirty harry might have been involved too?

• I thought this thread was about box sets you'd like to see released.

I'd like to see these become reality:::

ESP DISK box set[/b]

Twinight[/b]

South American Psych[/b]

History of NYC Punk and No Wave[/b]

Folkways[/b]

Nick Drake[/b] Does this already exist?

Can[/b]

As far as existing sets to add to the collection:::

William Burroughs[/b] on Giorno Poetry Systems

Albert Ayler[/b]

• Nick Drake[/b] Does this already exist?

Yup, called "Fruit Tree"

velvet underground would be interesting

• Nick Drake[/b] Does this already exist?

Yup, called "Fruit Tree"

Yeah, thought so, on Rykodisc right?

OK, here are some other ideas:::

SST records[/b]

Black Flag[/b]

King Tubby[/b]

velvet underground would be interesting

the VU box is THE most essential IMO...