Break out your notebooks...

prof_rockwellprof_rockwell 2,867 Posts
edited September 2005 in Strut Central

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I'm not sure why news wires are picking up on now. Berklee's been running classes like this for a minute. They're very forward thinking in their curricula.

• Interesting, which makes the source of this article even more interesting since it came from Remix magazine. You think those guys would be on the ball a little bit. I know Berklee has offered Electronic music production, and they did a DJ class as an extension course, but have they ever offered a proper Hip Hop course like this one?

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Is beatmaking really something that should be taught?

To me, it's always been beneficial, at least starting out, that the less you know the better. I think it's more condusive to creativity. Same thing about working with shitty equipment. You work with what you have and it forces you to be more resourceful with music. Everyone should start out with crap instead of the best right off the bat.

IMO.

• Everyone should start out with crap instead of the best right off the bat.

IMO.

• i was hired to co-teach a dj and production class to high school kids. I turned down the possition since the job was too hectic (dude wanted to make a friggin' curriculumn, tests, homework assignments WTF?!!) and was in the middle of nowhere (El Cerrito in the east bay or some shit).

It was for a hippy-dippy progressive school with some crazy-ass communist overtones.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I'm not sure why news wires are picking up on now. Berklee's been running classes like this for a minute. They're very forward thinking in their curricula.

Yeah, the NYT covered this aspect of Berklee's curricula four years ago.

It's supposed to be news that it's now available online?