Neal Creque

GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
edited September 2005 in Strut Central
What are essential Neal Creque albums? I love this guy. I know his classic Cobblestone and Muse releases. Did he ever record on smaller labels? He composed for many other musicians. What are essential Neal Creque songs/copositions? Any must-have cover versions? His stuff can be quite funky too! Just listening to Hands Of Time on Muse. That LP should really be more popular. Wonderful! Wonderful!

Comments

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    Oh boy. I didn't know.

Soulstrut is soooo sensitive these days. Creaque is now officially ???

I mean Neal Creque is still cool, right? And PUTS not that bad.

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    yo grope, just off the top, on the cobblestone tip I really like the contrast lp, I dig the stuff he done with mongo santamaria, lp's like mongo 70 real dope and the sunshine man album with harold alexander also real nice...

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    keep em comin! I need more Crack!

didn't know he was involved in Mongo's work. Don't have that Mongo 70 LP. But a friend does. What else did he compose/play/arrange/produce?

I know the Contrast LP. Lovely.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    He also plays organ and electric piano on the Blue Note Grant Green LPs "Carryin' On", "Green Is Beautiful" and "Alive!".

Just got "Hands Of Time" recently. Haven't listened to it yet. Maybe I should take this as my cue. "Creque" and "Contrast!" are nice albums, anyway.

oh yeah and he plays with pucho and the latin soul brothers also!!!

I only have the jungle fire record (as reissue) which is serious heat.

I would like to know which pucho joints are the hottest though???...anyone? any titles?

• I would like to know which pucho joints are the hottest though???...anyone? any titles?

"superfreak", is very good, containing the 15 minutes superfly' medley

recommended !

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    As far as I know, Neal Creque has 4 albums. Contrast and Creque being my favorites, love both of em. That Hands of Time lp I traded to a fellow strutter. I only remember liking one track, the one with all the wah wah. I couldn't hang with the vocals on that one at all, to each their own. The other record I haven't ever heard, I've just seen it. It has flowers on the front cover, I think it may be from the late 70's not sure. IMO Contrast is one of the better lp's that you can still scoop on ebay for cheap.

How is his last name pronounced anyways? I think its like "creaky" but I say it like "creck". Hmmm...

Just found a pic. Hopefully the music sounds better than that cover looks.

Just found a pic. Hopefully the music sounds better than that cover looks.

this is a muse repress of one of the cobblestone lps

probably the creque lp (72)

Right on. Then I guess he only has 3 albums. You learn something new every day...

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    I couldn't hang with the vocals on that one at all, to each their own.

You know, I'm German. I can't understand 75% of the vocals on my records. Not that I don't care about lyrics, but not understanding lyrics is mostly a good thing. I get some of the Roy Ayers He's Coming LP lyrics. Mang, that really sucks. I wish my English was even worse.
    How come I hang out on this US forum? Don't ask...

There's a lyrics sheet in my Hands Of Time LP. I'll need to read some lyrics from that LP and see what I think... but since I like the record now, maybe not such a good idea...

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I get some of the Roy Ayers He's Coming LP lyrics. Mang, that really sucks. I wish my English was even worse.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    I get some of the Roy Ayers He's Coming LP lyrics. Mang, that really sucks. I wish my English was even worse.

Well, I understand what the lyrics are about. And I'm not Christian. Did I get it wrong? The record is referring to Jesus not-stop, right?

• Doesn't Creque also play on some Leon Thomas LPs?

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Well, I understand what the lyrics are about. And I'm not Christian. Did I get it wrong? The record is referring to Jesus not-stop, right?

So, not being Christian, lyrics that are about Christian faith "suck?"
    I guess if that's how you feel, that's your right, but I'm not Rastafarian and yet I enjoy Burning Spear...so, does John Coltrane's "A Love Supreme" suck, too?

Ugh, I'll just stop. Again I just say and leave it at that.

that track, that whole record, music and lyrics are !!!

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    Well, I don't hate. I just think that different lyrics would have been more enjoyable. I don't like religious refferences in music that much. No matter to which religion.

God can give you anything you want... yo grope you heard that lyric before? (classic material)

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    How is his last name pronounced anyways? I think its like "creaky" but I say it like "creck". Hmmm...

The liner notes to "Creque" says the name is pronounced 'Creaky".