How come European 45's...............

volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
edited September 2005 in Strut Central
have the 33 adapter punched into the wax????????I kinda wish all 45's were like this. I realize the obvious awnser is "it's a good idea". But it's such a massive difference between US and Euro there must be a story behind it.

Comments

• have the 33 adapter punched into the wax????????

I kinda wish all 45's were like this.

I realize the obvious awnser is "it's a good idea". But it's such a massive difference between US and Euro there must be a story behind it.

The Wiki thing didn't offer an answer. I'll try to see if I can find someone who can.

• have the 33 adapter punched into the wax????????

I kinda wish all 45's were like this.

I realize the obvious awnser is "it's a good idea". But it's such a massive difference between US and Euro there must be a story behind it.

The Wiki thing didn't offer an answer. I'll try to see if I can find someone who can.

I always thought was just a jukebox thing. As in the US had masses of them.

• dunno if it makes a difference, but its generally cheaper to get small holes made, so it might be that since most Euro 45s have pic sleeves as well, the small hole lowered the cost on printing both the 45 and pic sleeves?

• I prefer big hole 45s though, cuz the small hole 45s tend to warp easier

• I always thought was just a jukebox thing. As in the US had masses of them.

I had assumed that as well, since I know jukeboxes have always been an American phenomenon, moreso than any other country.

I found one theory, someone on another board posted this response:

According to the book 45 RPM, the large hole was designed to facilitate the "stacker spindles" that allowed you to stack a bunch of 45's and they'd drop one after another after the song finished. I don't know why they didn't do that over in Europe.

With that said, I know that RCA was the label who brought out the 45. Columbia were intent on making the "LP" the preferred format. There was a time when both formats competed against each other. Phonographs had to be made for both, so RCA could make their own record players for 45's, and/or with 45rpm capability, and Columbia could make their own record players which played the LP format. It was a bit of who would win in the format wars.

Perhaps it was something British record companies did not want to deal with, even though I've read in a number of books that nightclubs and bars in England that would import jukeboxes from America would "dink" out the center so they could play some of "their own" records instead of being exclusively American.