Hollow Body Guitars

AaronAaron 977 Posts
edited September 2005 in Strut Central
I'm looking to pick up a hollow body and need to know some general info. Basically, I wanna know which models have wider necks and a brighter, crisper tone than others out of the case (as opposed to picking technique). From what I've come across, I like both the Epiphone Sheraton and the Rickenbacker 330 (no 12-string). Has anyone compared these two?What do you like/play?

Comments

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    From my experience, Epiphones have wider necks and fatter, bassier sounds because of their pickups and because they were designed to do jazz style music. Ricks are on the brighter, chimey, jangly side. They're both nice, it all depends on what sound you are going for.

• actually the epiphones like the sheraton and riviera have very narrow necks at the top, so if you have big hands, it will take some getting used to, in fact I kinda changed the way I play because of the neck on my epiphone...for the better, however, since I kinda stay away form the of of the neck, I stopped relying on lazy, open chords.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    since I kinda stay away form the of of the neck

i try and avoid that too man

most epi's i've played have realyl narrow flat backed necks... pretty nice players.

ricks on the otherhand.. i don't know i've never been all that into them... though i've only messed around with the 4001 guitar version and the equiv bass.. both weigh like 600 freakin pounds.. really really heavy.. and the neck on the 4001 geetar is murder as i recal...

go with the epi.. more well rounded tone.

that said the heaviest electric guitar i've ever played (other than one of those assed out kramer basses with the aluminum neck) is my buddy Yan's 70's tele custom.. holy shit.. its like a slab of iron or some shit.

im stickin with my featherlight mustang .

• what the fugg was I typing?!?!? even though I know it was implied that you knew what I meant, I have to correct myself "I try and stay away from the top of the neck"

my typing in the AM is

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    I didn't even notice a typo. Guess my reading skills in the morning are similar to your typing skills in the morning.

• actually, i don't really like the epiphones or the rickenbackers... i really don't like the way that the pickups sound on epiphones, it sounds like your amp is covered in blankets or some shit... and i don't really like the feel of rickenbackers.. i my favorite full hollowbody is my gibson es 175- i use it all the time for jazz gigs... i would also reccommend the the gibson es 447- it's a small body hollowbody, it looks like a les paul w/f holes for the most part, but is entirely hollow.. great sounding instrument, but you have to special order them... or check out d'angelico guitars... it really depends on your price range though... for lower price range (under 1500) you can get one of the new d'angelico ex series guitars... i have heard good things about the semi-hollow body one (ex-dc). but really for under 1000- i wouldn't mess with a full hollowbody- i would suggest a semi-hollowbody. it seems that mass production of full hollowbodies isn't very good yet... some good reccommendations for semi-hollowbodies under 1000- fender telecaster thinline '72 re-issue- it's always overlooked, but it has really great tone (just watch out for feedback with this one..) - or if you do dig the epiphone sound, they are solid guitars (i just don't really care for how they sound)... but really- the standards are gibsons- the es 175 (full hollowbody) and the es 335 (semi-hollowbody)... you'll also want to take feedback into consideration, full hollowbodies feedback at lower volumes than solidbodies or semi-hollowbodies..

peace,
    rob

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I have an Epitone 335. I love it! Mine has a wide neck, but I've seen others that didn't. It's a super guitar for the money. I've played guitars that cost 3 times as much that weren't half as good.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    i really don't like the way that the pickups sound on epiphones, it sounds like your amp is covered in blankets or some shit...

now that i think about it my buddy did have to get the pickups replaced. and he also put a bigsby on it.

they're nice for the price though..

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    actually, i don't really like the epiphones or the rickenbackers... i really don't like the way that the pickups sound on epiphones, it sounds like your amp is covered in blankets or some shit... and i don't really like the feel of rickenbackers.. i my favorite full hollowbody is my gibson es 175- i use it all the time for jazz gigs... i would also reccommend the the gibson es 447- it's a small body hollowbody, it looks like a les paul w/f holes for the most part, but is entirely hollow.. great sounding instrument, but you have to special order them... or check out d'angelico guitars... peace,
    rob

Yes, that Gibson is a nice hollow body. If your really serious try to find an old one from the 40's.

I like Ricks, but they do have a bright sound.

Never really like Eppiphones because of said sound issues, but I've know plenty of people that love them.

The big thing is just to spend a lot of time going around to shops and trying differnt ones. Eventually you'll find on that's perfect.

A guitar purchance is nothing to rush into.

And remember "no Stairway"