Scorpions (yea I said it!)

volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
edited September 2005 in Strut Central
Any up on the Lonesome Crow LP? This is before they got crazy famous in the states with Rock You Like a 'Cane and all that. This LP is pretty funky and cool for a bunch of German head bangers. If "Leave Me" was on the Giant LP you'd still be paying $100 for it!Plus, the 2nd (?) pressing cover with the giant scorpian around the rotted city is cool too.Sorry I'm such a bum and can't post pics.

Comments

• Scorpions ARE THE SHIT!!! Everything they did in the 70s is amazing rock music...the 2nd LP is an ass kicker as well(and better IMO) "Fly to the Rainbow", "In trance" is top shelf also, and "Virgin Killer" is as well...very underappreciated for their actual brilliant work...sadly most people just know them as the "Rock you like a hurricane" guys and the inventors of the heavy metal power ballad...sins that are tiny compared to the greatness of their 70s steez...

• power ballads rule.

give me wind of change any day of the week, and I will jam out hart to that shit.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Scorps we're my thing in 6th grade. Blackout on full assault everyday. Cover art was rad. And Rudolph Schenker ripping the solos. Illmatic.

• OlskiOlski 355 Posts
    Scorpions are one of the most awful bands in the history of rock. Period.

This thread is dead. Please post somewhere else!

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Scorpions are one of the most awful bands in the history of rock. Period.

This thread is dead. Please post somewhere else!

Yeah man... sorry guys.

Now maybe if you were talking about THESE guys, then we could tak.

• if ya like rock music and heard "fly to the rainbow", you wouldnt poo poo them...plus Uli Jon Roth is one of Eddie Van halen's favorite guitarists....dont be afraid of the rock, it loves you.

• OlskiOlski 355 Posts
    I couldn't care less about any Scorpions track you guys consider as "cool". This band represents everything that sucks about german rock and they are sitting on top of my rock-bands-I-love-to-hate next to U2, Genesis and Europe.

• I couldn't care less about any Scorpions track you guys consider as "cool". This band represents everything that sucks about german rock and they are sitting on top of my rock-bands-I-love-to-hate next to U2, Genesis and Europe.

well, ok then...I find very easy to like German rock like Scorpions and Sunbirds...I cant hate a band for their latter days sins...I mean Van halen sucks balls now, but "Fair warning" still sounds kick ass no matter how many shitty sings they have put out in the last 20 years.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha... you guys are talking about the Scorpions!

That's funny. No disrispec', but the Scorpions being a subject on Soulstrut is like a nightmare coming true! Scorpions are totally lame. Always were. Plaese excuse my harsh words. The Scorpions singer sucks badly! Just like the guitar player. Wannbe metal freaks. Even my brother hated the Scorpions. He was a hard core Heavy Metal fan.

And don't ever mention the Sunbirds again, when writing about the Scorpions. Sunbirds are holy!

• if you think Uli Jon Roth sucks as a guitar player(the player before Mathias Jabs, who does suck) then you do not like rock guitar, period. Uli Jon Roth is an amazing guitar player...period. Maybe its a dirtbag American rock thing...just like how some europeans pay big money for shit CTI LPs...

Uli Jon Roth and Michael Rother both make me happy

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    if you think Uli Jon Roth sucks as a guitar player(the player before Mathias Jabs, who does suck) then you do not like rock guitar, period. Uli Jon Roth is an amazing guitar player...period. Maybe its a dirtbag American rock thing...just like how some europeans pay big money for shit CTI LPs...

Probably. I didn't mean to hate. But I really don't dig the Scorpions. Neither their music nor their musicianship. And honestly, I do not like Rock guitar...

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    if you think Uli Jon Roth sucks as a guitar player(the player before Mathias Jabs, who does suck) then you do not like rock guitar, period. Uli Jon Roth is an amazing guitar player...period. Maybe its a dirtbag American rock thing...just like how some europeans pay big money for shit CTI LPs...

Probably. I didn't mean to hate. But I really don't dig the Scorpions. Neither their music nor their musicianship. And honestly, I do not like Rock guitar...

Plus, I don't know the first Scorpions LP that well and didn't even know they originally had another guitar player! Sorray!

• I saw them play on the Monsters of Rock tour in like 87 or something. For the finale the scorps all came down to the front and got into kind of a standing pyramid. At the top was Michael Schenker who held his b&w flying V over his head. The headstock had some sort of pyro charge and the thing shot sparks like 20 feet into the air. I think all bands should be forced to form a human pyramid following their last song.

VH played later and Alex's kit had like 5 bass drums or something.

Anybody see the Scorpions on Dave Attell's 'Insomniac'? Pretty funny - where the hell that show go, anyway??

• if you think Uli Jon Roth sucks as a guitar player(the player before Mathias Jabs, who does suck) then you do not like rock guitar, period. Uli Jon Roth is an amazing guitar player...period. Maybe its a dirtbag American rock thing...just like how some europeans pay big money for shit CTI LPs...

Plus, I don't know the first Scorpions LP that well and didn't even know they originally had another guitar player! Sorray!

saul good. actually Uli isnt on the first LP, its Rudolf Schenker's brother, Michael...better known as the leader of the boring-ass Michael Schenker Group.

I like 70s German rock in all its forms...aside from the metal of the UK, Germany was making the most varied and interesting rock music of the early 70s...I mean Germany gave us so much great music back then, I can appreciate it all, except for that horrible Pearcewood's Onagram...yuck.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    ahhhh sheeeesh! I just gave away my brothers German Rock records for free. A friend asked me for them. I coudn't say no. BTW, my brother sold all my CDs while I spend a year as exchange student in the US. I was looking for an oppurtunity to pay him back. He had some decent Rock stuff. I would have offered it to you, but it's too late now!

• just dont tell me he had the Gila "free electric sound" LP, or I might cry....

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    nope. he had some unrare stuff! but he still went mad when he found out his records were gone.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts

LONDON LEATHER BOYS
    Walking down the main street
    I see a city's face
    Boys dressed in leather
    Girls dressed in lace
    See the easy riders
    They're roaring down their way
    They need to give full speed ahead

They've been bunched together
    To keep their crazy life
    They turn on the power
    Get wrecked every night
    Got some kind of feeling
    Looking in his eyes
    I feel the power surge to a head

London leatherboys
    Nightmare's pleasure, what you've done
    London leatherboys
    All together
    All together - nightmare's pleasure

After all the roaring
    The sound of silence scares
    Girl of the leader
    Cried in his arms
    Don't you see the danger
    When we are running wild
    Please, stop the games, it's getting late

London leatherboys
    Nightmare's pleasure, what you've done
    London leatherboys
    All together

Swearing that he would do - he could not even say
    Boy dressed in leather - boy died in pain
    They're the easy riders - but heroes die too fast
    He was more than the best of the bunch

Best together
    Lousy leather
    Say what's better
    All together

London leatherboys

• sorry but this is a non-starter in my book folks.

16.08.80 Castle Donington, Donington Park, UK First "Monsters Of Rock Festival": Rainbow/Judas Priest/Scorpions/April Wine/Saxon/Riot/Touch.

the whole day was awful apart from Saxon who were amusing, and the firework display during cozy powells drum solo. Rainbow kept everyone waiting for hours cos it wasn't dark enough for their pyrotechnic display. Scorpions particularly sucked and it poured with rain when they were on too making it even worse. john peel was the dj and played stairway to heaven twice and everybody lit lighters. it WAS spinal tap .

each to his own, but i really suggest that if you're going for irony, get some Thor in.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    this thread is the definition of

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    keep sleeping then.

Lonesome Crow is a seriously deep album. there are tons of artists who pursued wanker careers after their first couple. i wouldn't close doors before you have even listened to an album. y'all talk a lot about albums that are absolute shit but wallpieces because they have 5 seconds of drums.

smoke a joint, put this on, and realize that this is deeper than a good majority of German rock from the same era, blows most Hawkwind records away, and is some pretty tripped out Space Rock.

I'm generally not even into this genre too much and i love this LP.

Please leave it in the bins, i will pick it up instead. thank you.
    not a good look

on a side note: When I was a kid, I was on an airplane w/ the Scorpions when they were touring the U.S. I thought that was pretty rad at the time.

• You all like rock'n'roll?
    EVERYBODY LIKE ROCK'N'ROLL?

I saw them in Honolulu at the HIC on their Blackout[/b] tour. It was a movement, enough to where my 8th grade yearbook's theme was hard rock bands, with Def Leppard's Phil Collen on the cover.

• each to his own, but i really suggest that if you're going for irony, get some Thor in.

WHOA, PUPPIES! WHOA!

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    Have all you trash talkers even heard the LP I'm talking about?

Were talking UFO times, not the hair metal years.

This is like only listening to Distant Sound of Thunder and saying Pink Floyd totally sucks.

• Have all you trash talkers even heard the LP I'm talking about?

Were talking UFO times, not the hair metal years.

This is like only listening to Distant Sound of Thunder and saying Pink Floyd totally sucks.

word. and whats with this "if you wanna get your irony on" BS? thor? that shit was wack when I was 12. I dont know, but do some of you listen to music for the irony factor? thats some ghey hipster shit to do...I listen to music I like, I dont have any "guilty pleasures" when it comes to music...shit if i can stomach some of y'all diggin New Edition and shit like that, and not say anything, I think y'all can let this little Scorpions appreciation post go on with out the smartass comments.